Where do you ride?

moosterbounce

Where do you ride?

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:28 pm

What is your most common ride in Perth? We have our standard rides, but it would be interesting to hear from others for some ideas and explorations. We do...

1. Home (Joondalup), to the beach, then south to Hillarys Boat Harbour, then north to home - 23km trip.
2. Home (Joondalup), to Mrmion Ave, then north to the end of Marmion Ave, then south to home - 26km trip.
3. Train to the city, then around the river from the Narrows Bridge down to the Windan Bridge just past Burswood - each lap is 13km so we usually do 3 or 4 depending on pedestrian traffic!
4. Train to the city, then down the Kwinana Freeway as you can go all the way to the end without having to cross a road (unlike up the Mitchell Freeway) - go as far as you like.

Cheers.

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Where do you ride?

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:00 am

moosterbounce wrote:4. Train to the city, then down the Kwinana Freeway as you can go all the way to the end without having to cross a road (unlike up the Mitchell Freeway) - go as far as you like.
Same ride, I ride into Perth and then to the end of the Freeway and go left and ride across and down to Pinjarra, and then turn around and come back.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm

I notice you mention home in Joondalup, do you know if there is a path that follows the freeway into Perth? (Like the one heading south)

I tried riding north from the city and got a bit past Lake Monger and lost the path and ended up in a new housing estate. I asked the road workers where the bike path was, and they claimed that they had ripped it out. :shock:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:08 pm

moosterbounce wrote:What is your most common ride in Perth?
Strange as it may seem, I've never riden in Perth. Never even been there. In fact, unless I feel moved to trust the evidence of the internet, I have no reason to believe it exists at all. Of course, you lot could make similar comments about Adelaide. So, to pre-empt any attempt on your part to address this situation, I'd like to invite you all to a bbq and fun ride on the banks of the mighty (well, 'wet' if nothing else) Torrens at a date to be announced in the near future. See, this is a real invitation whereas you lot can offer nothing of the sort. Does this mean I'm mad and you lot are mere figments of my fevered imagination or does it mean that you possibly do exist as real flesh and tucker ... errr ... blood :roll: human beans ... I mean, beings (well, I am a horror writer :wink: )

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 pm

europa wrote:So, to pre-empt any attempt on your part to address this situation, I'd like to invite you all to a bbq and fun ride on the banks of the mighty (well, 'wet' if nothing else) Torrens at a date to be announced in the near future.
Do they allow Mongoose riders in SA? You'd also have to give me directions as I can't find anything on my map east of the WA border. It's all marked as wasteland, :D except for the island called Tasmania. It's marked as good riding area.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:16 pm

bicyclewa wrote:Do they allow Mongoose riders in SA? .
Ohh yum. Crunchy and very nice with ketchup :twisted:

Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:48 pm

There is a bike path following the freeway, but it crosses it in a couple of places (around lake monger, Hutton Street, and again near greenwood). There are also sections in Stirling and Whitfords where you actually ride on the rode, and there is no path. These are very low traffic areas though so all OK. The path improves from Whitfords to Joondalop, but it is an ugly route.

Personally, I prefer to ride along the path along the beach, but then you have people in the way... :roll: If you are going to do it, you need to pay special attention to the signs. It is very confusing and yes, I wish it was the same setup as freeway south. Heading North, you need to cross some pretty nasty roads too (Hutton Street at the Freeway :shock: ).

And yes, Perth does exist. WA is the bit on the edge of Australia that stops the country falling into the Indian Ocean. It is very much like South Australia. Hot, dry, great deserts for 4WDing, great beaches, great surf, and great fishing. The main difference is that you can actually drink WA water :lol:

Moo...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Here's a fairly good description of the Mitchell Freeway bike path, (no excuse for getting lost now! :lol: )

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mi ... nstruction

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Mi ... Bridge-UND

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:47 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:Here's a fairly good description of the Mitchell Freeway bike path, (no excuse for getting lost now! :lol: )
Thanks Gary. I have no excuse for ending up in the wrong suburbs now :D

Kev.

numbly

Postby numbly » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 pm

NArrows ride on Tuesday/Thursday mornings is good. down through Dalkeith, mosman park to fremantle, then back up the south side and along the freeway