Wall mounted bike rack

The Walrus

Wall mounted bike rack

Postby The Walrus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm looking for a bike rack for the garage. Something that will hold three bikes up against the wall....if that is not considered bad for the bike in some way?

I saw this online and thought it looked pretty good but not sure. If anyone has any thoughts or has one please let me know.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steadyrack-W ... 509wt_1413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Mugglechops

Re: Wall mounted bike rack

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:49 pm

I have gone an even cheaper way with hooks for about $15 of c r c

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks mugglechops, looks great. My set up would be for two MTB's and maybe the roadie, but I'm not sure about leaving it outside!

Anyone else got anything similar?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 am

Yep. Basic Delta brand hooks mounted to the shed wall much like Mugglechops. Personally I look forward to binning them and going with a floor rack given the space they take up and the effort required to get them up - the frame of the shed required a high hook mounting to be secure. The hooks also wear quickly in terms of padding so wheels get scratched up occasionally to I'd prefer a system like GripSports if I was going to stay with a wall mount.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Similar idea to Muggsy's, using even cheaper plastic coated hooks from Bumblings here. though these are limited to being tapped into wooden beams. I have a couple of treated pine beams mounted in my colourbond shed for the purpose

I'm big fan of wall storage, with enough height you can still have somewhat usable floor space beneath the bike (I keep my grab-and go MTB kit in a 55l tub) which is still easily swept. But then again, I'm tall enough to lift the bikes to the height. I think they confound my sub 6' mates a a bit :mrgreen:

The plastic has worn/twisted a little bit off some of my hooks. Could easily be remedied with a some old innertube & duct tape if it worried me especially.

gossy

Postby gossy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Sorry OP for being off topic, but I thought it would be silly to start another thread.

I am after some ceiling hooks to mount a few spare bikes.

I have been to Bunnings and the like, but they only sell small planter hooks, and have had no success elsewhere.

Can anyone help?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Bunnings/Mitre 10 use to sell hooks like this (about 20-30cm long)

I screwed them in to a section of 2x4 and mounted this on right-angle brackets and screwed them to the wall, into the joists.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 pm

In my opinion, one of the safest (and coolest) ways to wall hang bikes is using old drop bars, mounted with a pair of d-bolts.

Lets you hang your bikes like the masterpieces they are :D

That said, it's not very space-efficient.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm using the style shown in the picture earlier in the thread, and they are quite inexpensive and convenient to use.

A tip is that you can mount them a little closer together if you hang your bikes alternately by the front and rear wheels, so the space efficiency is very good.

For the MTB, there's an added advantage of this storage method. Storing the bike vertically keeps the fork seals lubricated. Storing them in the normal riding position allows the for oil to fall away from the seals and they eventually will dry. For road bikes doesn't really matter either way other than the space considerations.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm

I used the hook method for my mountain bike for a while, but discovered the rockshox on the front do not take well to be being stored upside down, I think they rely on the oil being at the bottom for the seal of the air spring. Something to watch out for.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I have used the wheel hooks before - works well when space is limited though it also does 'pull' at the front wheel with unknown effect - perhaps no effect but possibly the weight of the bicycle could, over time, create extra stress.

The current wall mounts are called Romak and I picked these up from Bunnings. Please excuse the photo quality, but you should be able to get an idea - it holds a bike on the top-bar.

The issues are bikes with sloping top tubes and also if you have limited wall space. You can get more bikes hung with the wheel hook - though this method also takes up less space in that the bike is closer to the wall.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I need a double rack like that one Aushiker as I the space to suspend the bike above the car
i have found one on the interwebs but not sure how it's going to go
at least it'd go into a brick wall...

Dan's Avanti

Postby Dan's Avanti » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:59 pm

I have 3 bikes on a similar setup to Mugglechops. Bought hooks from Bunno's about 6 months ago - $15 ea. Very happy with it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 pm

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.georgesbikes.com.au/shop/vie ... _rack/1938

or http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=44982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nads

Postby Nads » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:17 am

I have the steady racks and they are really good, especially the way they fold against the wall. I bought 2 from my lbs, so he gave me a discount, got both for $160

gdt

Postby gdt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:16 am

Nads, if I wanted to put one really high on the wall (lifting the bike over my head, seat tube in my hand, arm fully extended) do you think they'll work. They looked a lot less fiddly than hooks for a big lift like that???

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm

I have the one jasonc linked to. Torpedo7 occasionally sell them very cheap. I actually don't use it for storage, but for servicing. They stick out from the wall quite a long way, and hold some bikes at funny angles (my bikes range from bmx-mini to road to full suspension mtb) but it works well for me.

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Although there are lots of much cheaper ways to hang the bike on the wall, I would highly recommend that Steadyrack. It is hugely easier to use.

Pros:
Not having to lift the whole bike's weight ever - just the front wheel
Being able to swing it near flat against the wall - saves lots of space
Extremely well made - pretty much OVER engineered with top quality fittings all included
Spreads the load onto the front tyres of the bike means no damage
Can be folded out of the way if not being used
Looks great
I believe Australian Made!
I believe designed by a guy in Perth!

Cons
Price - but well worth the $100 tag
Would not suit varying wheelbase bikes - it is designed to fit the same bike.

The Walrus wrote:I'm looking for a bike rack for the garage. Something that will hold three bikes up against the wall....if that is not considered bad for the bike in some way?

I saw this online and thought it looked pretty good but not sure. If anyone has any thoughts or has one please let me know.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steadyrack-W ... 509wt_1413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have used the wheel hooks before - works well when space is limited though it also does 'pull' at the front wheel with unknown effect - perhaps no effect but possibly the weight of the bicycle could, over time, create extra stress.

The current wall mounts are called Romak and I picked these up from Bunnings. Please excuse the photo quality, but you should be able to get an idea - it holds a bike on the top-bar.

The issues are bikes with sloping top tubes and also if you have limited wall space. You can get more bikes hung with the wheel hook - though this method also takes up less space in that the bike is closer to the wall.
I have the same hooks in my garage. I have they up off the ground as high as I can easily lift the bikes.
Works a beauty, up out of harms way and we can still get two cars in.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:I have the same hooks in my garage. I have they up off the ground as high as I can easily lift the bikes.
Works a beauty, up out of harms way and we can still get two cars in.
Yes, I spotted your post in the other thread. I get 1 car in, but two rows of bikes - so can choose the top level or bottom level bikes. Don't have a fancy Cervélo though :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got a 2 car garage and 1 car. but have a second car in the garage that the outlaws own. doesn't leave much room for bikes

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 pm

We had the builders in to do a retaining wall and they left some off cuts of these posts...

The off cuts were laying where the bikes normally live, and the wall brackets were there...