Glue-on tyres

Kermit TF

Glue-on tyres

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Guys,
One of my roadies came out with 27x1 arayas and glue on tyres. In the course of originality I was looking to get some glue ons, but my local mechanic told me they are not cheap to buy and are labor intensive to install..
Has anyone had any experiences with glue ons, can a novice ( with some guidance :? ) install them ? Thoughts ?
When in doubt......mumble.

munga

Re: Glue-on tyres

Postby munga » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvSa5_RwyU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGw3DlZMRGI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxkrtwSNqww" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdZiLHDJWE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2y5lgeWBCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Tubulars are pretty easy to use but they do take a little pre-thought if you are to use them. Just preparation tasks such as stretching them, seasoning them, pre gluing tubulars and rims, correctly folding your spare, etc. The difficult job (if you choose to accept it) is repairing punctures. Puncture repair is difficult and time consuming. It can be done though. I used to repair 3 or 4 tubulars at a time but I would set aside an hour or two.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Easy to install! There is a lot of hype on gluing tyres, but it is not hard at all to glue them on soundly. Top of the range tubulars (Glue on tyres) can be had for around $60 if you keep an eye out.

If you want the ultimate riding experience they are great. If you want convenience and "what everyone else has" then change to clinchers. You need to carry a spare tubular tyre under your seat in case of puncture, and if you get two punctures, you are screwed because everyone else is riding clinchers.

If you get a puncture on a tubular, pull the old tyre of, chuck the spare on without glue and don't push too hard on corners until you reglue it that night at home.

Most tubulars are readily repaired, and again, it isn't that hard. It takes me about 20 minutes. Not for the side of the road though.

Technically the Tubular rims are also 700c in size, not 27", and Araya made some 700c x 1" clincher rims, if you can find a set.

Cheers
Roger

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Rogerabbit is right about the hype. The guy at your local bike shop is probably some feckless spotty youth who doesn't really know what he is talking about. Tubs are neither costly or a lot of trouble.

Vittoria Rally tubs cost around $30 and look good on classic/retro bikes. Carry a pre-glued spare under your saddle. Also, do what the cyclo-cross guys do, and carry a can of pressurised latex foam (Vittoria Pitstop, Effetto Mariposa Esspresso, many others). When you get a flat go for the foam option first, and keep your spare as a last resort. The foam will probably fix your flat.

Unless you are seriously old school, and at $30 a tyre, you might not be too inclined to go through the rigmarole of unpicking the stitching and repairng the tube.

You can ride a long way on a barely inflated tub and it feels a whole lot more comfortable than a flat clincher.

Tubs feel great. You will feel hardcore old school, and you won't ever get a pinch flat. It will be great - trust me.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 am

If you use them get a small repair kit and carry it with you. They can be repaired on the side of the road, you just need to unpick the stitches and patch the inner tube the same way you'd repair a conventional set up, then re-stitch and re-glue. I used to do it all the time twenty five years ago.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 am

I have 3 different types of tubulars... none of them have stitching to unpick.Might be the way it is going these days ?.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I haven't used them for 25 years. How do you repair contemporary singles or do they now come with automatic obsolescence?

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Appreciate the posts lads...
I trolled thru the youtube how-to clips as per above, is it really necessary to apply 3 coats of glue over a 3 day period ? :shock: every video is different in its approach as to number of glue coats.
The biggest problem I have is sourcing decent 27x1's, just not a common size :roll:

munga

Postby munga » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:23 pm

...which is why i posted 5 vids. :D
pick the one you're happy with, and do that. if you're "100% hardcore and pushing pain to the max", you might want to go to your local velodrome/crit track and ask for the number of a guy who can do it for you.
i'd be comfortable following any of those vids.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm

There are no 27x1 tubulars - no such thing. They are all 700c.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Bit of a follow up, Roger your 100% correct. We made the assumption that the wheels where 27 inch.
Never trust a mechanic under the age of 30 to advise on old steelies. :roll: I should learn to question more, when something doesnt sound right....
Last edited by Kermit TF on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Since when did we change from singles to tubulars?

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I called them tubulars since the late 70's

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:34 pm

jonbays wrote:Since when did we change from singles to tubulars?
I agree. "Singles" is an archaic American term for horrible old tyres made like a hose. "Tubulars"/"tubs"/"sew-ups" refers to modern glue on tyres with a seam. For those who can't find the seam- it it's under the backing tape.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Paul Watson wrote:
jonbays wrote:Since when did we change from singles to tubulars?
I agree. "Singles" is an archaic American term for horrible old tyres made like a hose. "Tubulars"/"tubs"/"sew-ups" refers to modern glue on tyres with a seam. For those who can't find the seam- it it's under the backing tape.
I never realised that, we always called them singles back in the 60's, and checking my old Aus Cyclist magazines ads Gordon Lawrence Cycles calls them "single tubulars", Hillman Cycles "singles", Progress bicycles "singles", Cyril Ades Noble Park, our club's bike shop also called em singles and they certainly weren't influenced by Americans back then :wink:

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Well that makes sense I used to ride a Hillman in Melbourne in the 70's and I only knew them as singles then.
Not that I could afford them at the time of course hand me down cotterless cranks was what I was scheming to get and I already had been given an old single from Ramon Russel who I used to go on training rides but of course I didn't have the rims to suit and couldn't afford them anyway on $16.20 a week paperboy money!

I never realised that, we always called them singles back in the 60's, and checking my old Aus Cyclist magazines ads Gordon Lawrence Cycles calls them "single tubulars", Hillman Cycles "singles", Progress bicycles "singles", Cyril Ades Noble Park, our club's bike shop also called em singles and they certainly weren't influenced by Americans back then :wink:[/quote]

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Boyaux s'il vous plaît :P .

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:16 pm

I started racing in the late '80s and everybody called them "singles" - the only place I saw them called "tubulars" was in American magazines. Similarly, "clinchers" were only called that in the same US based publications, my club mates called them "high pressures" and British magazines named them "wired-ons"

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Have to wear this. They were, and still are, commonly referred to as "singles" here in Australia. I'm just pointing out that "singles" started out as something else.

Fortunately, I don't think many American singles made it to Australia. Here is what Sheldon Brown says: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html#singletube

morini

Postby morini » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I've called them singles ever since I bought them off a bloke in a bike shop who called them singles. The next bloke will buy them off a different bike shop who will call them tubulars and so it goes.

When I first bought 700c wheels in the late 70's they were called HP'S, high pressures. It's only been in the last few years that I started to hear the term clinchers all the time. Sounds like another language invasion from the goddams if you ask me. Yanks, to those who don't know what a goddam is.

I won't lose any sleep over it.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Im now getting some nice mid spec tyres installed by the great guys at On the rivet ( free plug :D )...
Interestingly, The young guys in the shop referred to them as tubulars , yet the middle aged mechanic referred to them as singles.
I prefer #%+£€ !!! Glue ons ! :mrgreen:

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I'll probably stick to singles then and so what if I am an old fart who doesn't like all this "septic' talk.