Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

Crawf

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am

Hmm leaning to 135 now, and yes the two hubs I would use are both 135mm.

MB, FM166 is 130 rear :shock: I bet they just couldn't be ass'd changing the mould.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Crawf wrote: ..MB, FM166 is 130 rear :shock: I bet they just couldn't be ass'd changing the mould.

I guess that is related to the fact that they are using the FM-066 as the base.

I wonder what the rear spacing is on some of the other road disc frames that you see on Alibaba ?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Nobody wrote:
barefoot wrote:cross-chaining in small-small will be very slightly worse than it ordinarily would be
So, therefore big-big is even better
I think you misslept "slightly less bad" ;-)

tim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... ils-36756/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the mechanical-to-hydraulic HY/RD (say, "high road") caliper promises all the features we had guessed at earlier, including an open hydraulic system with pads that self-adjust for wear and a much easier setup than TRP's existing Parabox system. At a claimed 284g per wheel (complete front brake with 160mm rotor), it'll also be about the same weight as Avid's standard BB7 caliper but with a silkier and more feedback-laden lever feel based on our hands-on preview.

In addition, TRP insists that our initial worries about heat capacity on long road descents are unfounded based on in-house testing. TRP marketing director Lance Larrabee claims that the integrated master cylinder actually surrounds the caliper with more oil than a traditional fully hydraulic system while the generous amount of surface area on the forged aluminum body supposedly dissipates more heat. Moreover, TRP fits the HY/RD with insulative Bakelite composite pistons so at least in theory, less heat should be getting into the system than with metallic pistons, anyway.

Suggested retail price will be US$150 per wheel and brakes should be available by the end of Apri

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 am

The HY/RD doesn't interest me, but the Quadiem SL does (silly name ...)

From the same article as per jasonc's link above
After a one-year delay, TRP says its new four-piston Quadiem enduro hydraulic disc brake system is now ready for release by the end of April thanks to a revised master cylinder plunger diameter that produces more power than earlier prototypes.

The standard Quadiem will feature forged aluminum construction all around, tool-free lever reach, stainless steel caliper pistons, a hinged handlebar clamp, and a standard stainless steel rotor for US$160 per wheel. Claimed weight is 525g for a complete front system with 180mm rotor. The higher-end Quadiem SL, however, upgrades to lighter and more insulative composite pistons, a carbon fiber body, and a two-piece stainless steel-and-aluminum rotor that brings the system weight down to a more reasonable 472g.

Retail price on the Quadiem SL is US$200 per wheel and both models will be available at the end of April.
Now, just gotta work out the piston size in the master cylinder .....

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm

I've been close to getting some BB7s to replace the BB5s on my commuter, but I think I'll hold out until we get a few reviews of the Spyre. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, and honestly I can't imagine I'd need anything better (mech/hydro or hydro) for commuting. Though even these are probably a bit overkill for commuting, but sometimes the upgrade itch just gets to be too much to bear. :)

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Just chipping in today that I have been really impressed with my Avid BB7 road brakes. Did 111km of gravel and bitumen and they were great.
I bought replacement pads a while ago but still haven't needed to change them.
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Just chipping in today that I have been really impressed with my Avid BB7 road brakes. Did 111km of gravel and bitumen and they were great.
I bought replacement pads a while ago but still haven't needed to change them.
Andrew
There is nothing wrong with them at all. Robust and work well, but they are an old design, and there are new and better things out there if you have the money & desire.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:45 am

It has gone very quiet since the pics and discussion when the SRAM HydroR and Shimano's system were spotted. Unbelievbly so.

It was thought that for whatever reason, that the TRP Hywire system was dead too, but it appears not to be when you look at the 'spares' part of the TRP website, and they show front pads for the 'Parabox/Hywire' 'Parabox/Hywire'
So will these be available soon

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Even more Hydraulic/Mech converters now :

Ashima's version as shown at the Taipei show. Like the calipers ....

The converter itself is a bit ummmm

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:Even more Hydraulic/Mech converters now :

Ashima's version as shown at the Taipei show. Like the calipers ....

The converter itself is a bit ummmm

industrial?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Since there isn't much room in a brifter head, why don't they use the space inside the handlebars to house the master cylinders? The brake levers could push a rod into the handlebars which in turn would push on the piston inside the cylinders. You could have some little access panels underneath the bars, held in by some small screws with counter-sunk heads, allowing them to be easily covered by bar tape.

It'd be much neater, and would allow for the use of wider and longer cylinders which may be required as the technology develops.

It would also keep the space inside the brifter head free for other things.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

rkelsen wrote:Since there isn't much room in a brifter head, why don't they use the space inside the handlebars to house the master cylinders? The brake levers could push a rod into the handlebars which in turn would push on the piston inside the cylinders. You could have some little access panels underneath the bars, held in by some small screws with counter-sunk heads, allowing them to be easily covered by bar tape.

It'd be much neater, and would allow for the use of wider and longer cylinders which may be required as the technology develops.

It would also keep the space inside the brifter head free for other things.
Good idea. Maybe the brake manufacturers will hear about this. Maybe they've thought of it already, but they'll need the cooperation of the bar manufacturers.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

They need the cooperation of customers to be happy with the range/shape of bars available in an integrated configuration. And probably UCI approval too... Plus it would suck if you damaged one.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote: The converter itself is a bit ummmm
industrial?
Agricultural...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote: The converter itself is a bit ummmm
industrial?
Agricultural...
Really horrible to manufacture as well. Those small pipes would be an abolute bugger to make. The way the cables terminate out the back is just bad ( Mind you, the Parabox ones are not that much better).
It looks very expensive to make too.

I just want the TRP Hywire's to come out, and then I can get rid of the Parabox ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Ooooh, and now SRAM goes 11sp with the new "22" groupset (which includes the disc setup) ....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... kes_280379
ANTWERP, Belgium (VN) — SRAM will jump on the 11-speed bandwagon by the end of this month, debuting two new high-end groups with 11-speed rear shifting dubbed Red 22 and Force 22. Production on Red 22 will begin in April with Force ramping up a month later, and availability is expected by mid summer.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 am

Crawf wrote: MB, FM166 is 130 rear :shock: I bet they just couldn't be ass'd changing the mould.
I don't have an opinion on 130/132.5/135 spacing.

It seems Pro-Lite are happy at 130.

Comming in May (limited stock)

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 am

Interesting the jacks1071 - for 2 reasons. Narrow rim width for CX and HEAVY !!!

Anyway, seems like the "22" in disc form is getting out there on a Spesh Roubaix Disc

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Umm....

http://bicycleart.tumblr.com/post/46340910464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 pm

baabaa wrote:Umm....

http://bicycleart.tumblr.com/post/46340910464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 pm

baabaa wrote:Umm....

So are you one of the "Ill informed and opinionated bicycle aesthetes" or do you think that Spesh looks more spesh than most? :twisted:

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:27 am

No or here at all with this spesh-spesh thing, both, and I will type this quick so please read it quickly and we can then all move on, but I see more beauty and comfort in the concrete utility box than the thing in front. Oh, and the ring lock fence looks quite fancy and at least seems like it has a purpose in life.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am

Go home baabaa, you're drunk...