Leach Highway Underpass

Rusty6149

Leach Highway Underpass

Postby Rusty6149 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Anyone know when the Leach Highway underpass will be open ?

Doesn't seem like there is a lot of construction activity there.. like it has been forgotten about, or they are really unsure how to get a road AND and bike path down there.

In the meantime, the lights at Leach Highway can get pretty crowded with cyclists - and it is quite a dangerous place to be - with trucks running red-lights, cars sweeping onto the freeway on-ramp, and quite a few pedestrians.

Regards,

Rusty

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Leach Highway Underpass

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Last I heard they were expecting to have it done by March/April.

I have been off the route for the last ten days but prior to that they were doing work on the road base - materials and rolling.

I have not seen any activity around the downslope where the detours at the south start. But that is probably just a couple of days brush and clean. Maybe the same north of Leach Highway.
/Brentwood.

I can't see why it won't be done in the stated time.

I've seen more cyclists (myself included) crossing against the red don't walk than motorists of any description running red lights late or at speed. Though the islands can get quite packed at times so late leavers to cross Leach may have to hustle a bit just in case. Not so easy when taking off in a cluster while cleating in and trying to get stable and straight i suppose.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Last time I was on the Kwinana Fwy it appeared the wall they were working on still needed work, that was about a month ago

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Last time I was on the Kwinana Fwy it appeared the wall they were working on still needed work, that was about a month ago
True - about a month back it was going nowhere. The work on preparing the surface was only started a few weeks ago. But in the current time frame noticeable work has been happening on that short section from where the old path linked into the Bull Creek station car park to Leach Highway. Only the road-half is being worked on, not the cycle half. The works on the road half were considerably lower than any level the cycle part could be set at so I assume that the substantial 30cm or so of road base was yet to be laid down (two weeks ago) but there was material being added and rolled.

The rest is not visible from where I pass other than the downslope I mentioned earlier.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Does anyone have any updates to share? I used to ride West down the Roe PSP to the Kwinana FWY, then up the Kwinana PSP to Cranford before taking the Shelley loop home. However, since they introduced the detours around South St/Leach I've avoided that ride.

I'm basically keen to know whether the PSP from Farrington through to Cranford is still detouring all over the place?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 am

Only remaining detour is the Leach one, the one south of the Mt Henry.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I just sent off an email to the community relations contact for this project, asking for info. I will post her reply when I get it.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 pm

MarkG wrote:Only remaining detour is the Leach one, the one south of the Mt Henry.
Great, thanks for that.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm

If you do take that exit, you simply end up down the bottom of that stretch of path, face to face with a gated / locked tunnel, then you hang a hair pin right turn and ride up that slip road and end up at the Leach Hwy lights.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:45 pm

MarkG wrote:If you do take that exit, you simply end up down the bottom of that stretch of path, face to face with a gated / locked tunnel, then you hang a hair pin right turn and ride up that slip road and end up at the Leach Hwy lights.
Simply faster to cross the entry from Leach Hwy to Kwinana Fwy north. Then your on the road where the path will connect to it.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Yep.
I did tell my mate (purely to annoy him) it was open!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

stealthbike wrote:I just sent off an email to the community relations contact for this project, asking for info. I will post her reply when I get it.
The last public statement I am aware of on this is what I referred to a few posts above - expected March (gone) to April. I'll be interested if it is extended beyond April. It's been 18 months so far.

Who is the community relations contact btw?

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:24 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Who is the community relations contact btw?
Hannah Jane Mattock
hannah@soapboxpr.com.au
Community Relations
Kwinana Freeway Widening Project

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Ha, I guess enough of you guys bugged them, just saw this status email a few minutes ago.

Leach Highway access road/PSP update

Week commencing Monday 8 April:
Asphalt access road
Construct PSP

Week commencing Monday 15 April:
Asphalt PSP
Reinstate lighting
General tidy up

Week commencing Monday 22 April:
Reopening of access road/PSP

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm

I have received a reply to my request which is shown below, together with the response. I can not work out how to insert the map that was included in the reponse.

Could you please provide an update as to what is happening with the PSP associated with the Kwinana Freeway widening project. I have two questions.
1. The road works appear to be complete but the PSP is not and there does not appear to be any work happening to finish it. Specifically, the underpass at Leach Highway has been closed for ages and as you are aware, cyclists are detoured to cross over at Leach Hwy, which is very dangerous. When can we expect this to be re-opened?
2. I live near South St and have avoided the PSP and detours since the work commenced by riding through Bull Creek, however, I am interested to know how access to the PSP is achieved. All the access points that existed before the work started have been demolished and I cannot see how to get on or off at South St.

Leach Highway access road/PSP update
Week commencing Monday 8 April:
• Asphalt access road
• Construct PSP
Week commencing Monday 15 April:
• Asphalt PSP
• Reinstate lighting
• General tidy up
Week commencing Monday 22 April:
• Reopening of access road/PSP

I have attached a mudmap of access to the PSP at South St. Red is access from the east, green is access from the west. The blue access route is using the lift/stairs to gain access to the underside of the South St bridge. The extension of Barry Marshall parade up to the bus station has eliminated/removed the direct access that would have been there previously, which is what they are probably enquiring about.

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Hoorah. Thanks for the update. Will eagerly await the opening.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Hope there's a dude with a ribbon and oversized scissors to do the opening bit...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Timeonabike wrote:Hope there's a dude with a ribbon and oversized scissors to do the opening bit...
I vote that Francis de Groot to do the honours. (Google him.)

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Timeonabike wrote:Hope there's a dude with a ribbon and oversized scissors to do the opening bit...
I vote that Francis de Groot to do the honours. (Google him.)
Bloody oath!

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm

4 days to go.
Hmm hopefully.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:29 pm

When I checked last night it was still as it has been for a week or more - the road laid but not curbed and nothing whatsoever on the bike-path. :(
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:When I checked last night it was still as it has been for a week or more - the road laid but not curbed and nothing whatsoever on the bike-path. :(
I spotted contractors on the PSP today under the FWY (AT) leach hwy
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm

On the train I spotted some bobcats moving around underneath the bridge so something is happening.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am

The curbing between the road and the path is now done and there has been some earth moved around/added to the path but not it's entire load. They have exposed a section of tubing in the ground too.

There are some concrete retaining blocks to the east that appear to me to possibly be so high as to protrude above what the curbing seems to indicate will be the path level. So I wonder if the path be a meter less in width than it could be. Or a grossly lateral sloped path. I have wandered for a long time about this. I hope that my perception of levels is wrong.

Still looks like a lot to be done. I suspect that it will be an extra week.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

newblah

Postby newblah » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Any updates on this? 'Week commencing 22nd April' is halfway done and still doesn't look like the PSP has been touched.