Diagonal dropout hangers - where to get?

takai

Diagonal dropout hangers - where to get?

Postby takai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Anyone know where to get diagonal dropout hangers like this:

Preferably in Australia, as lots of the UK sellers just cant be bothered shipping something that small over here :(

LG

Re: Diagonal dropout hangers - where to get?

Postby LG » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Try going to the tip shop and look on some of the old suntour or shimano RD's. Some models had these. Or alternatively, send me a pm with your address as I think I have a spare 30 year old one in the shed.
LG = Low Gear

takai

Postby takai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah, most of them are the integral type, with the pin through to the mech. Too many people converting old bikes to fixies around here and so ditching all the mechs and stuff in the bin, not much makes it to the tip.

Daus

Postby Daus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm

I bought some on ebay a few months back- here is the link to the seller
Bicycle Universal rear derailleur bracket with nut By Pro Series

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bicycle-Univ ... 1c240a5f2f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gmxonline is the seller and located in Melbourne

hope this helps, Don

takai

Postby takai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Cool thanks. Ill get one from him if i cant scab one from CERES for a gold coin on Friday (friend reminded me about their stuff)

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:27 pm

http://www.bike-parts-plus-more.com.au/ ... p?id=37893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:52 pm

LG wrote:Try going to the tip shop and look on some of the old suntour or shimano RD's. Some models had these. Or alternatively, send me a pm with your address as I think I have a spare 30 year old one in the shed.
I was looking for one myself recently. A lot of the ones LG describes are integrally pressed together with the main Der. mount shaft. Even if you went to the trouble of removing the shaft from the hanger, the hole wouldn't be threaded I think you'll find. I ended up getting one from the UK on the Fleabay no wuckers... but then I decided I might actually swap the dropouts from a junk frame as a exercise with the ol' gas axe.

Also.. search for "Adaptor claw" Sheldon Brown refers to them by this name.

Curious what purpose the second, crescent shaped one is on the right in the OP pic.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Quite right Mr Humber, many are permanently attached to the RD. If you're looking for a removable claw, seek out suntour Honor, suntour GT/GT V-luxe, or I can't recall which shimano RD's came with the removable hanger.
LG = Low Gear

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Shimano Lark, Lark II, Skylark, Eagle, Eagle II, RS, Positron and SIS. All from the 70s and early 80s, generally the budget/mid-range derailleurs of the era - their hangers were always threaded as far as I recall. You need the hanger on the left above - don't know what the one on the right is, nor why it would be needed :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Your LBS might be able to source these for you

Shimano Product Code: Y52U98010

http://www.bicyclepartswholesale.com.au ... ase=2291nb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.reximports.com.au/products/ ... apter-bolt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

takai

Postby takai » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:11 am

HappyHumber wrote: Curious what purpose the second, crescent shaped one is on the right in the OP pic.
Second one seems to be a cut down hanger itself. Im guessing the guy who snapped the pic made it so that he wouldnt have to center the wheel when changing it. Just changes the depth of the dropout.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 pm

takai wrote:
HappyHumber wrote: Curious what purpose the second, crescent shaped one is on the right in the OP pic.
Second one seems to be a cut down hanger itself. Im guessing the guy who snapped the pic made it so that he wouldnt have to center the wheel when changing it. Just changes the depth of the dropout.
<edit found a picture>
That is correct, looks like a chunky homemade version of an item you used to be able to buy from your LBS back in the day.
They fitted neatly into the l/h dropout slot to take up the same space in the slot as the derailleur hanger in the r/h dropout slot thus centering the wheel in the frame easily.
Later forged or cast dropouts had little screws in the back to do this job. I have a couple of 'official' Benelux and Suntour ones somewhere, one came with in the box with the Benelux Mk7 gear when I bought it IRRC
Cheers
Richard