TWE - Greg Ryan wheels

scratcher33

TWE - Greg Ryan wheels

Postby scratcher33 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 pm

just ordered a set of 38mm carbon clinches from TWE (ride twe) - Greg was brilliant in listening to what I was after and whole experience has been awesome - I will update once the wheels arrive. DT areo spokes, custom hubs, choice of decals and 1330g !! Can't wait !!

schroeds

Re: TWE - Greg Ryan wheels

Postby schroeds » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 am

Good one scratcher, let us know how they go and post some pics eh
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

scratcher33

Postby scratcher33 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Link below - new TWE wheels - 38mm 1320g and roll awesome - even with tropical wet whether tyres !! Very happy with wheels and services - thoroughly recommend

http://cyclebucket.com/?v=imag0511.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Nice wheels. Greg is a good wheel builder.
I will be asking him to build another set of wheels for me in the near future. He built a rear wheel with power tap pro and I was going to ask him to build another one with power tap G3 for the bike with SRAM gear.

Jon

peg_legdh

Postby peg_legdh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Gday scratcher i am looking at purchasing a set of these wheels of twe aswell. What wheels were you replacing with these? i will be replacing ksyrium elites and am wondering if it will be worth the coin too upgrade apart from them being over 220grams lighter which is always good. Does going to a low profile 38mm aero wheel make much difference over a non aero wheel like the ksyriums.

Sorry to hijack just looking for as much info as i can before i go out and buy a set. I know greg builds fantastic wheels as i already have a set on my all mountain bike which have taken all sorts of punishment and are still straight.

cheers

dave

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 pm

peg_legdh wrote:Gday scratcher i am looking at purchasing a set of these wheels of twe aswell. What wheels were you replacing with these? i will be replacing ksyrium elites and am wondering if it will be worth the coin too upgrade apart from them being over 220grams lighter which is always good. Does going to a low profile 38mm aero wheel make much difference over a non aero wheel like the ksyriums.

Sorry to hijack just looking for as much info as i can before i go out and buy a set. I know greg builds fantastic wheels as i already have a set on my all mountain bike which have taken all sorts of punishment and are still straight.

cheers

dave

I have a set of his alloy 38's and love them to bits- upgraded from the ksyrium elites too. I am totally wrapped in the decision and wont be going back!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm

scratcher33 wrote:just ordered a set of 38mm carbon clinches from TWE (ride twe) - Greg was brilliant in listening to what I was after and whole experience has been awesome - I will update once the wheels arrive. DT areo spokes, custom hubs, choice of decals and 1330g !! Can't wait !!
toroidal rim?
what hubs?
what nipples?
how much $?

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Spoke to Greg today as I am looking for a custom build with a G3 hub which I already have and looking at a 38front -50rear combo .... His prices are very reasonable ....... Don't mind his language if you get to talk to him .... it was a bit colorful :mrgreen:
Still looking at options but more appealing that another quote I got from another builder

scratcher33

Postby scratcher33 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

peg_legdh wrote:Gday scratcher i am looking at purchasing a set of these wheels of twe aswell. What wheels were you replacing with these? i will be replacing ksyrium elites and am wondering if it will be worth the coin too upgrade apart from them being over 220grams lighter which is always good. Does going to a low profile 38mm aero wheel make much difference over a non aero wheel like the ksyriums.

cheers

dave

Hi Dave

I upgraded from Fulcrum 5's - was really happy with the 5's but the TWE roll so much better - some blokes on our ride say I am only peddling half the time. So if you want to get fit and loose weight the TWEs won't help - but if you want a wheel that rolls forever great !! They are noticeably faster up the hills without expending any more effort and easier to maintain speed when riding by yourself. i think a great upgrade from my perspective as when in a couple of years time to upgrade bike - the wheels will still be A1 standard. You will be happy.

Scratcher

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

What rim shape are your wheels and what was the final outlay for them dare I ask?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I dont have any TWE wheels but many of my mates do. They are great. And as for Greg, I dont know the guy but I had a mini-crisis a while ago, my son broke a spoke on his Zipp the day before a big race. Local bike shops couldnt help so in desperation I rang Greg - I live an hour's drive from his workshop but he said he would stay back after work and wait for me. I got there at 730pm knocked on the door in the dark and he opened up his shop for me. He couldnt match the Zipp spoke but found one that fitted, put it in and trued the wheel while he regaled me with stories and showed me all sorts of interesting stuff in his workshop. It was a fiddly job cos he had to file out the hole in the rim to get a spoke tool in, it ended up well over an hour of his time and at the end of all that he just laughed and refused to accept any payment.
Tell me where you can find a person like that who would give of his own time on a Friday night for a complete stranger. The bloke is the real deal and so are his wheels (and bikes).

peg_legdh

Postby peg_legdh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks for the reply scratcher. Yeah definately will be ordering a set of these in the near future off TWE. i was planning too this week but toasted my xc wheels so i have ordered a set of those of him in the mean time so the carbon clinchers may have to wait till next month :cry:

cheers

Dave

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Had my twe wheels for a week now and got to race on them Sunday and they do perform really well .... Stiff and responsive
I rode on them again Monday and had a lot of cross wind and the 38/50 combo is perfect for me and weight (69kg)
Smooth to ride on and the braking is much superior than the Reynolds I had previously .... So far so good
And they look awesome ...I went for black on black stickers and make the bike look mean 8)

peg_legdh

Postby peg_legdh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am

can we see pics le velo. as i am thinking of going exact same setup.

Regards

Dave

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:40 pm

peg_legdh wrote:can we see pics le velo. as i am thinking of going exact same setup.

Regards

Dave
No idea on how to post photos .... Will a link to one I posted on my fb page will work?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 19, 2015 8:53 pm

I think I will order some from Greg. Birthday present to me...

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue May 19, 2015 9:03 pm

scratcher33 wrote:just ordered a set of 38mm carbon clinches from TWE (ride twe) - Greg was brilliant in listening to what I was after and whole experience has been awesome - I will update once the wheels arrive. DT areo spokes, custom hubs, choice of decals and 1330g !! Can't wait !!
I have these as race wheels. 4400km, including 45km of Belgian cobbles; bullet proof. Never been trued or serviced

I had them made with stronger drive-side spokes for all the imaginary power I delusionally think I put out :|

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 19, 2015 9:37 pm

I will be a nightmare customer. I want stiff but I am no Clydesdale and have had serious injuries from poor compliance in the past. I want deep but not too heavy. I want Aero but not at the expense of reliability or maintainability. And cheap too. Lol

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Xplora wrote:I think I will order some from Greg. Birthday present to me...
Or try for 1st place at the Cervelo Masters and win a set :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 19, 2015 10:28 pm

queequeg wrote:
Ummmm no lol

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Xplora wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Ummmm no lol
It might be a bit packed in D-Grade!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

skull

Postby skull » Wed May 20, 2015 7:03 am

Xplora wrote:I will be a nightmare customer. I want stiff but I am no Clydesdale and have had serious injuries from poor compliance in the past. I want deep but not too heavy. I want Aero but not at the expense of reliability or maintainability. And cheap too. Lol
You know the rules.
  • strong
  • light
  • cheap
You can only pick two.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 20, 2015 7:39 am

:twisted: I have money so let's choose light and strong. :twisted:

My guess is that we might go revolution spokes or something weird to sort out some of the issues. Still. Should be nice to have a bespoke wheel.

JdM

Postby JdM » Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 am

What sort of prices are we talking for a decent set of aero wheels are we talking from TWE? Or is that a "how long is a piece of string" type question? :)
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am

Greg's typical carbon clincher build will be around 1600 bucks, maybe?