The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

hannos

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby hannos » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 am

il padrone wrote:
hannos wrote:I encountered a first class idiot today...
Walking along a Shared path at Rhodes I turn to the right (there was only about a person width between me and the right side wall anyhow) to go up some stairs to my building. Except, a cyclist decides to try and pass me with no warning. Yep, he hit me. failed to use his bell or his voice. Gave him a good serve on slowing down and using his bell or voice.
Hang on a minute. You are the cyclist turning right? But you expect the cyclist overtaking you to give the warning? Did you give the legally-required right turn signal??

And why were you so close to the right side wall? Was it a one-way or two-way path?

Methinks I see a reversal of responsibility happening here :|

I'm a pedestrian, there are no lane markings oy any sort, the stairs to a path to my building ar on the right and I was about a foot from the wall.
Regardless, who in their right mind would try and fly through a gap that narrow?

No reversal of responsibility at all.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 am

:oops: Damn, must get those eyes checked again!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Walking along a Shared path at Rhodes I turn to the right (there was only about a person width between me and the right side wall anyhow) to go up some stairs to my building. Except, a cyclist decides to try and pass me with no warning. Yep, he hit me. failed to use his bell or his voice. Gave him a good serve on slowing down and using his bell or voice.
Why were you pedding anyway? Lets the tribe down badly if you aren't on the scoot :P
You did at least wave the ol' Zefal HPX under his dumb as dogsh nose I hope...

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Why were you pedding anyway? Lets the tribe down badly if you aren't on the scoot :P
You did at least wave the ol' Zefal HPX under his dumb as dogsh nose I hope...

Because I'm soft. had to bring the laptop in to work today and I really dont like carrying one on my back for 33km. and the SLC01 has no points to put panniers on...

malnar

Postby malnar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am

Pre dawn this morning I came across two lightless cyclists on the un-lit shared path. Must be hard to enjoy your ride when you can't see where you're going. Hopefully they got past the pedestrians safely.

Later, I was walking on Princes bridge in the city. It has pedestrian and cyclist sections which are separated by a white line. I was on the pedestrian section & I heard a cyclist coming from behind dinging repeatedly. There was a pedestrian walking in the opposite direction on the cyclist's section. The cyclist was dinging and pointing very demandingly. The cyclist slowed down and basically insisted that the pedestrian move across. Thought it was a very harsh way to try to 'educate' someone. There was very little traffic about at the time so there was no actual danger of collision.

I looked at the pedestrian's expression and she didn't seem too fussed (she had headphones on).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am

malnar wrote:Later, I was walking on Princes bridge in the city. It has pedestrian and cyclist sections which are separated by a white line. I was on the pedestrian section & I heard a cyclist coming from behind dinging repeatedly. There was a pedestrian walking in the opposite direction on the cyclist's section.
SMIDGAF :roll:
malnar wrote:The cyclist was dinging and pointing very demandingly. The cyclist slowed down and basically insisted that the pedestrian move across. Thought it was a very harsh way to try to 'educate' someone. There was very little traffic about at the time so there was no actual danger of collision.

I looked at the pedestrian's expression and she didn't seem too fussed (she had headphones on).
Personally I think if more people did just this we might start to get people educated into how the roads and footpaths are meant to work (spelt out in the road rules and all), and then there might be more safety and value in cycle lanes and paths that would encourage people to cycle more.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am

roma st this morning about to turn left into roma st parklands and there's a salmon. I gave him some what for

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 am

il padrone wrote:
malnar wrote:Later, I was walking on Princes bridge in the city. It has pedestrian and cyclist sections which are separated by a white line. I was on the pedestrian section & I heard a cyclist coming from behind dinging repeatedly. There was a pedestrian walking in the opposite direction on the cyclist's section.
malnar wrote:The cyclist was dinging and pointing very demandingly. The cyclist slowed down and basically insisted that the pedestrian move across. Thought it was a very harsh way to try to 'educate' someone. There was very little traffic about at the time so there was no actual danger of collision.

Personally I think if more people did just this we might start to get people educated into how the roads and footpaths are meant to work (spelt out in the road rules and all), and then there might be more safety and value in cycle lanes and paths that would encourage people to cycle more.
That's the way it should be done - and what I do as well now. Otherwise they won't learn. Keep left unless overtaking or turning and if you are going to turn or move, look before you do and don't do it suddenly.

The problem is that some cyclists HERE actually defend pedestrians rights to be unpredictable.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 am

il padrone wrote: SMIDGAF :roll:
Bbbbwwwwwwaaaaahhhhhh :lol: :lol: :lol:
jasonc wrote:roma st this morning about to turn left into roma st parklands and there's a salmon. I gave him some what for
That's a bit fishy ? Maybe you should have scaled back the abuse a bit. Perhaps his herring is a little poor ?

zero

Postby zero » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

g-boaf wrote:
The problem is that some cyclists HERE actually defend pedestrians rights to be unpredictable.
The only dangerous thing is the cyclists momentum, and only the cyclist has access to the bicycles brake lever to control the momentum, and as cyclists are typically faster than pedestrians, virtually all the interactions between pedestrians and cyclists involve a pedestrian that was in plain view of the cyclist, the cyclist is the person in prime position to make the interactions safe.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
jasonc wrote:roma st this morning about to turn left into roma st parklands and there's a salmon. I gave him some what for
That's a bit fishy ? Maybe you should have scaled back the abuse a bit. Perhaps his herring is a little poor ?
it was 7:30 - 7:45. there was lots of traffic. moving over into the traffic lane was not my preferred option.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 am

jasonc wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
it was 7:30 - 7:45. there was lots of traffic. moving over into the traffic lane was not my preferred option.
You may have missed my key words & I may have missed the sarcasm emoticon :?

"Fishy"......."scaled"......"Herring"

I have no idea what the acronym for Salmon is :? Or is that what Salmon is the acronym for :?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

zero wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
The only dangerous thing is the cyclists momentum, and only the cyclist has access to the bicycles brake lever to control the momentum, and as cyclists are typically faster than pedestrians, virtually all the interactions between pedestrians and cyclists involve a pedestrian that was in plain view of the cyclist, the cyclist is the person in prime position to make the interactions safe.
Perhaps you don't understand the situation on Princes Bridge. It is a signed bikes-only path, on a divided footpath. In theory the continuation of the busiest bicycle route in Melbourne :idea:

The dangerous action was the person willfully walking in the bike path :roll: It happens all the time :x Most cyclists wind up resorting to squeezing through on the road - hence placed at greater hazard because of rude ignorant pedestrians.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 am

ZepinAtor wrote: I have no idea what the acronym for Salmon is :? Or is that what Salmon is the acronym for :?

A Salmon is a person riding or walking (or even driving!!!) the wrong way, ie against the flow of traffic, just as Salmon do when they go upstream to spawn.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 pm

hannos wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote: I have no idea what the acronym for Salmon is :? Or is that what Salmon is the acronym for :?

A Salmon is a person riding or walking (or even driving!!!) the wrong way, ie against the flow of traffic, just as Salmon do when they go upstream to spawn.
Tar :wink:

malnar

Postby malnar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:
il padrone wrote:

That's the way it should be done - and what I do as well now. Otherwise they won't learn. Keep left unless overtaking or turning and if you are going to turn or move, look before you do and don't do it suddenly.

Educating pedestrians one at a time by behaving like a traffic cop having a bad day & dealing with those who don't take kindly to it is not worth it to me. Each to their own.

malnar

Postby malnar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm

il padrone wrote:
zero wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Perhaps you don't understand the situation on Princes Bridge. It is a signed bikes-only path, on a divided footpath. In theory the continuation of the busiest bicycle route in Melbourne :idea:

The dangerous action was the person willfully walking in the bike path :roll: It happens all the time :x Most cyclists wind up resorting to squeezing through on the road - hence placed at greater hazard because of rude ignorant pedestrians.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cyclist only section on the 'footpath' predates the bicycle lane on the road. I reckon that a lot of people perceive the cyclist only section of the 'footpath' to be redundant. I'm sure a fair proportion of pedestrians wonder why both cycling options exist.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm

il padrone wrote:Personally I think if more people did just this we might start to get people educated into how the roads and footpaths are meant to work (spelt out in the road rules and all), and then there might be more safety and value in cycle lanes and paths that would encourage people to cycle more.
Hmmmm.... I'm not sure I agree completely with you here. Most of us knows how it feels like to have motorists honk or close shave us in order to "educate" cyclists. This comes down to poor infrastructure and poor understanding from non-cyclists towards cyclists.

It would be MUCH better to see the pedestrian area widened across the bridge and the bike path/lane joined into a proper grade separated path. But that would make too much sense.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

malnar wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cyclist only section on the 'footpath' predates the bicycle lane on the road. I reckon that a lot of people perceive the cyclist only section of the 'footpath' to be redundant. I'm sure a fair proportion of pedestrians wonder why both cycling options exist.
The road authorities have chosen for their own reasons not to take road space away from vehicles and hence the "bike lane" on the road just is a huge joke! It is barely 30cm of usable road surface (15cms of bluestone cobbles in the kerb).

If I could I would claim the lane through there, but it is so log-jammed with cars that a sensible route would be to ride on the 'bike-only' path. Errant pedestrians make this intolerable and unsafe. What is required here is a much clearer bike path that is lined, painted, even with a raised bumper to keep pedestrians off it. Some genuine enforcement would be good as well. All this would help everyone clearly see where to walk.

Either that or close the bridge completely to all traffic except trams, bike and pedestrians and make it a shared space.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 am

il padrone wrote:
malnar wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cyclist only section on the 'footpath' predates the bicycle lane on the road. I reckon that a lot of people perceive the cyclist only section of the 'footpath' to be redundant. I'm sure a fair proportion of pedestrians wonder why both cycling options exist.
The road authorities have chosen for their own reasons not to take road space away from vehicles and hence the "bike lane" on the road just is a huge joke! It is barely 30cm of usable road surface (15cms of bluestone cobbles in the kerb).

If I could I would claim the lane through there, but it is so log-jammed with cars that a sensible route would be to ride on the 'bike-only' path. Errant pedestrians make this intolerable and unsafe. What is required here is a much clearer bike path that is lined, painted, even with a raised bumper to keep pedestrians off it. Some genuine enforcement would be good as well. All this would help everyone clearly see where to walk.

Either that or close the bridge completely to all traffic except trams, bike and pedestrians and make it a shared space.
Yep, I ride across that bridge most days. I choose the very narrow lane on the road, but it isn't like they couldn't widen the bike lane and separate it from the pedestrians and cars with some grade separation. But closing the bridge to all but trams, bikes and peds would be the best option. Ain't gonna happen though.

DS

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 am

Twenty... even ten years ago people said that about Swanston Street, and now look :idea:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 am

On road bike lane on PB all the time. Less stressful.
The doorzone is pretty narrow and I like the idea of painting the full width of the bikelane. I just wish they'd used green like the rest of them instead of white

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Fitzgerald St North Perth, just near the Coles.

I was heading north bound, mum and 7yr old kid crosses the road, not at the lights about 15m up, before it. Standing on island, they see the cars have stopped due to a right turning car in the right lane, im in the left lane.

Mum and kid start walking from the middle island to cross the road, i saw them step off the island with a good 20-30m before id get to them, the mum didnt even bother looking at the road once she started crossing :shock:

I could either continue at my speed and probably narrowly miss them scaring the crap out of them, but instead decided to lock up the brakes just before reaching them making it obvious how stupid she was.

a little 'oopsie' was all she could manage, had she not been with a young kid i think i wouldve let go with a bunch of profanities.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 am

Had a scary view of a ped almost getting cleaned up by a bus yesterday.

The white box represents a bus travelling down a dedicated bus parking bay for the station. This is quite narrow, and the bus has only a metre to spare each side.
The blue circle is a young lady, about 20 y.o. walking in the same direction as the bus on the small median strip that seperates the bus parking bay from the traffic lane.
I'm walking towards the girl and the bus on the same narrow median strip.

As the girl approaches the sign post near the break in the median strip, she steps off the median to her left, with no head check, right in front of the bus. I could see the bus drivers eyes widen from 20-30 metres away. I sort of half yelled "Oi!", and the bus driver slammed on the anchors and hit the horn. I could see the front of the bus dip from the weight transfer, but this stupid girl didn't even break stride, or turn her head to look at the bus. Once she passed the sign post she stepped back onto the median. The total lack of concern on her face was amazing.
As I passed her I said, "You're one very lucky girl". Her reaction? Well, there was none. Stoney faced, she just kept on walking.

Kinda makes you wonder.

Kev.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 am

Kev365428 wrote:Had a scary view of a ped almost getting cleaned up by a bus yesterday.

The white box represents a bus travelling down a dedicated bus parking bay for the station. This is quite narrow, and the bus has only a metre to spare each side.
The blue circle is a young lady, about 20 y.o. walking in the same direction as the bus on the small median strip that seperates the bus parking bay from the traffic lane.
I'm walking towards the girl and the bus on the same narrow median strip.

As the girl approaches the sign post near the break in the median strip, she steps off the median to her left, with no head check, right in front of the bus. I could see the bus drivers eyes widen from 20-30 metres away. I sort of half yelled "Oi!", and the bus driver slammed on the anchors and hit the horn. I could see the front of the bus dip from the weight transfer, but this stupid girl didn't even break stride, or turn her head to look at the bus. Once she passed the sign post she stepped back onto the median. The total lack of concern on her face was amazing.
As I passed her I said, "You're one very lucky girl". Her reaction? Well, there was none. Stoney faced, she just kept on walking.

Kinda makes you wonder.

Kev.
Survival of the fittest no longer, now days people have no situational awareness or caution when moving around even in dangerous circumstances. If you learn something rock climbing and alpining it's to be aware of what's around you and how to move through the environment safely, no doubt she'd be down a crevasse by now if she ever left the city.