difference between brake and gear cable housings

alex

Re: difference between brake and gear cable housings

Postby alex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am

il padrone wrote:
Cutting the compressionless cable is easy, with the right tool - a hook-jawed cable cutter
the correct tool is a dremel!

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 am

alex wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Cutting the compressionless cable is easy, with the right tool - a hook-jawed cable cutter
the correct tool is a bandsaw!
EDIT: I was wrong. The correct tool is a 'shark with a fricken laser beam attached to it's head'.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm

alex wrote:
il padrone wrote:
I go by what the guys in the LBS use. Never seen a dremel used for this in a bike shop.

alex

Postby alex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

ive never seen a torque wrench being used in a bike shop either...

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:21 pm

I've used both a dremel (when I didn't have the correct tool) and the correct tool (a hook-jawed cable cutter).

I am afraid that there will be no prizes for guessing which performed better.... :wink: The correct tool performed the job perfectly! A dremel does get the job done but I wouldn't call it quick and easy.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm

alex wrote:ive never seen a torque wrench being used in a bike shop either...
Yep, and I don't own or use one of them either :wink:

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 pm

What about the sharks? Won't someone please think of the sharks?

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:05 am

human909 wrote:I've used both a dremel (when I didn't have the correct tool) and the correct tool (a hook-jawed cable cutter).

I am afraid that there will be no prizes for guessing which performed better.... :wink: The correct tool performed the job perfectly! A dremel does get the job done but I wouldn't call it quick and easy.
the problem with cable cutters is that once you have cut the cable you need to de-burr the housing with ... something. and even then, not every cut is going to turn out that well after de-burring (wound brake outers). i get a much better result cutting the housing with cable cutters and leaving about 20mm extra then using a dremel to cut to the correct length, no de-burring required. and no issues at all with tight cable ferrules, they always go straight in, avoids the problem of squishing the ends and forcing them in.

i actually think it is quicker than using cable cutters, de-burring, and hoping the ferrules fit over the housing (and the associated fiddling to get that right)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 am

I find the slight squish quite good, it keeps the ferrule on.

Also if you cut your cables with a bit of old inner cable inside, it does not squish as much.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am

eeksll wrote:I find the slight squish quite good, it keeps the ferrule on.

Also if you cut your cables with a bit of old inner cable inside, it does not squish as much.
Works for me.

Pushing the old cable through after the cut does a better job of opening up the plastic liner than any sharpened spoke will do.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm

alex wrote:the problem with cable cutters is that once you have cut the cable you need to de-burr the housing with ... something.
Not a problem if you use the right type of cable cutters = the hook-jawed ones that I linked to. They don't squeeze the spiral wire inwards. They also will cut your gear cable housing whereas side-cutters will not.

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:13 pm

il padrone wrote:
alex wrote:the problem with cable cutters is that once you have cut the cable you need to de-burr the housing with ... something.
Not a problem if you use the right type of cable cutters = the hook-jawed ones that I linked to. They don't squeeze the spiral wire inwards. They also will cut your gear cable housing whereas side-cutters will not.
i use those exact cable cutters and 9 times out of ten they do not cut the spiral inner properly

actual real world experience, now i use a dremel with great success

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:07 pm

alex wrote:i use those exact cable cutters and 9 times out of ten they do not cut the spiral inner properly

actual real world experience, now i use a dremel with great success
Just went downstairs and cut some brake housing. For real world experience. I cut it twice to check.

Both cuts the spiral wire was quite fine. Plastic liner was squeezed of course, but so what? I think you may need new cable cutters - I can recommend the Park model

:wink:

alex

Postby alex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

of course you did!

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I think the answer is we all can use whatever tool we wish to use. As long as we end up with a good final result then it really doesn't matter.

Here is my progression in bike cable maintenance. :oops: :oops:
-Pliers for cable :shock: ===> Ruins the pliers and if you do get it cut then good luck threading that mangled end through the housing.
-Dremel for cable :| ====> It gets the job done but it isn't quick, clean and easy.
-Pliers for brake housing :| ====> They do the job better and quicker than a dremel IMYO, though a dremel can assist in finishing
-Side cutters for cable :) ===> GOOD side cutters will cut cable cleanly. POOR side cutters will dent the cutters!
-Side cutters, pliers, dremel for gear housing :cry: ===> This stuff gets mangle by ALL!
-Bicycle cable cutters :D =====> Cut cable and housing quickly and cleanly. If no inner wire is used the crushed housing needs to be opened.

I'm an tight-ass innovative Aussie male I will normally first go to an amateur hack job with the tools at hand rather than a proper job with the right tools. Most of the time my handiwork is fine, but when it comes to bikes I've quickly found that the right tools make an easy job.
-I've tried truing wheels with a small shifter (success but some rounded nipples)
-I've tried removing cranks without a crank puller (yeah right!)
-I've tried removing cassettes and bottom brackets without the correct socket (yeah right!)

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm

human909 wrote:I think the answer is we all can use whatever tool we wish to use. As long as we end up with a good final result then it really doesn't matter.

Here is my progression in bike cable maintenance. :oops: :oops:
-Pliers for cable :shock: ===> Ruins the pliers and if you do get it cut then good luck threading that mangled end through the housing.
-Dremel for cable :| ====> It gets the job done but it isn't quick, clean and easy.
-Pliers for brake housing :| ====> They do the job better and quicker than a dremel IMYO, though a dremel can assist in finishing
-Side cutters for cable :) ===> GOOD side cutters will cut cable cleanly. POOR side cutters will dent the cutters!
-Side cutters, pliers, dremel for gear housing :cry: ===> This stuff gets mangle by ALL!
-Bicycle cable cutters :D =====> Cut cable and housing quickly and cleanly. If no inner wire is used the crushed housing needs to be opened.

I'm an tight-ass innovative Aussie male I will normally first go to an amateur hack job with the tools at hand rather than a proper job with the right tools. Most of the time my handiwork is fine, but when it comes to bikes I've quickly found that the right tools make an easy job.
-I've tried truing wheels with a small shifter (success but some rounded nipples)
-I've tried removing cranks without a crank puller (yeah right!)
-I've tried removing cassettes and bottom brackets without the correct socket (yeah right!)
Good summary there, except you forgot to mention the sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their heads.

Do they get :), :| or :( ?

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Dan wrote:Good summary there, except you forgot to mention the sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their heads.

Do they get :), :| or :( ?
They get a big :D in terms of clean cuts of both cable and housing.

However all that thrashing and laser beaming makes a mess of your workshop. Last time I had a shark on my bench turned my Oppy into an Op unicycle! :o

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Clean cuts? Isn't that what ferrules are for? Blunt pliers and lots of cursing for the win.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

alex wrote:of course you did!
You don't believe what I'm saying ???? :roll: