Best indoor trainer

Walsh95

Best indoor trainer

Postby Walsh95 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Ok. So I've heard about trainers that you can buy and set actual rides into their computers, but I can't find this model on the net. It adjusts resistance automatically to simulate mountains, descents, etc.
In the case that this doesn't exist, can I get some recommendations on indoor trainers? Brands, models, links if you can.
Cheers

moosterbounce

Re: Best indoor trainer

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:45 pm

I use a Tacx Fortius and my husband has a Tacx I-flow (I think). Google Tacx virtual reality trainers. There are quite a few options with varying software components.

I love using mine, husband is indifferent as he doesn't like riding indoors, but a hand injury has prevented him riding outside recently. He bought his from gumtree while I got mine on clearance from the lbs at a 50% discount.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Computrainer and Wahoo Kickr sound like what you are looking for. 1000-2000 bucks iirc. Lemond Revolution as well.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Xplora wrote:Computrainer and Wahoo Kickr sound like what you are looking for. 1000-2000 bucks iirc. Lemond Revolution as well.
The Revolution is not programmable. Wahoo won;t be available in Australia for a while I'd say.
'
The CT is the most robust, and paired with 3rd party software is an excellent piece of kit. Wahoo looks to be as well, but we'll have to wait for that.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:13 pm

A mate recently invested in a tacx i-genius (I think, definately a tacx though) and loves it. Hates the idea of riding indoors and found the VR trainer to be somewhat of an antidote to that. Bought his from Wiggle (maybe c r c, cant remember). Was DOA but only had to send back the dead part and was sent a whole new trainer. Took a bit of time to sort it all out but well worth it from his end given the cost saving over purchasing locally. I'm now looking into locally purchasing the spare part that was faulty in his original unit, if its reasonably priced then I will have one as well for bugger all cost :)

Havent had the chance to actually use it, but have looked over it and it's a pretty cool bit of kit. Would want to be for the coin though :o

mjd

Postby mjd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Computrainer paired with ErgVideo or PerfPro Studio, rock solid & a proven product over many years. Rare as rocking horse poo in the 2nd hand market & expensive new but well worth the outlay if you want something that will give you everything you could want from indoor riding.