Woman loses 170lb from cycling and makes lots of new friend

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Ross

Woman loses 170lb from cycling and makes lots of new friend

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:41 pm

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_2271792 ... z2MdrY96Ek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boulder cyclist finds community competing for Naked Women's Racing
Amanda Cyr, 29, lost 170 pounds in last four years
By Sarah Kuta kuta@coloradodaily.com
Posted: 03/04/2013 09:21:01 PM MST

Naked Women's Racing's Amanda Cyr competes at the Karen Hornbostel Memorial Time Trial last spring. Photo courtesy of Amanda Cyr ( Picasa )

Four years ago, Amanda Cyr weighed 350 pounds. A doctor told her she would die unless she changed her lifestyle.

Cyr, who now races for the Boulder-based Naked Women's Racing cycling team, knew she had to change her lifestyle but had never really participated in organized sports, or a regular exercise schedule.

"Oh yeah, couch potato was a big sport of mine," the now-29-year-old said, laughing.

Today, she's lost 170 pounds, has joined a cycling team and has more friends than she can count, she said. Her life has changed dramatically since she made the choice four years ago to get healthy.

The wake-up call came after Cyr graduated from the University of Florida with a music performance degree. She didn't know what she wanted to do with her life, so on a whim she moved to China to teach English.

Once there, she was subjected to daily ridicule for being overweight. People would stand in her view and point at her, she said, or outline the shape of her body with their hands while laughing. Some taxi drivers refused to drive her because they thought she would use too much gas.

"When you're obese in China, you're a spectacle and it's OK to make fun of that because they've never seen an obese person before," Cyr said. "Emotionally that was really tough. Most days you could take it, but if you'd had a hard day teaching, it was so defeating."

When she came back to the United States, she picked up and moved to Denver for a change of pace. Once here, she looked around and saw healthy people everywhere. About that same time, a doctor told her she was dying.

Her doctor put her on a restrictive diet, but Cyr said without food in her life to keep her busy or dictate her social schedule, she grew bored. So she started running, or "waddling," as Cyr called it.

At first, she could run one city block. But slowly, she began setting goals and picking races to train for. Six months later, she ran a full marathon.

She found cycling after dabbling in both running and triathlons. Running, she said, helped her start exercising, but wasn't her passion. Triathlons seemed fun at first, but then she realized the only part she actually enjoyed was the cycling leg.

A Google search led her to Naked Women's Cycling, the Boulder team with members from entry level to elite cyclists.

Her first race was March 2012, the University of Colorado Stazio Criterium. Cyr came in dead last (the race official had to tell her the race was over because she didn't know how crit races worked), but made dozens of new friends -- women she was supposed to be competing with -- and knew that she'd found her sport.

After that first criterium, she signed up for every race she could find. In total, Cyr raced in 31 races her first season, mostly because of the community she found within the women's cycling world and through Naked Women's Cycling.

"It's the whole package, so that's what clinched it for me. You need to feel community," she said.

To her teammates and other female cyclists, she's the glue that holds Colorado women's cycling together. Cyr chats with the competition at the stating line, cracks jokes constantly and takes the workhorse role so her teammates can podium. Cyr knows "everyone in the peloton," said Naked Women's Racing co-founder Rachel Scott.

Sharon Madison, 51, and Cyr became instant friends during their rookie seasons. Though they're 22 years apart in age, their unlikely friendship started during one of their first races together last year when neither of them "knew what they were doing," Madison said. Now, Madison tells everyone she knows the "Amanda story."

"It's so inspiring," Madison said. "A year ago, she gets on her bike and accomplished what she did in one season. She'd never ridden a bike, was overweight, and then she gets on the bike like she owns it. It blows me away."

It's hard for Cyr to think back to her "old" life now that she's been "reborn," she said. This year, she's officially co-captain of Naked's Cat. 4, or entry-level team, which means more jokes, more racing and more rallying the team together.

"I don't think of life four years ago," she said. "It's hard for me to remember how I was so sedentary. It's hard to remember a year ago, I didn't know 200 female cyclists who would do anything for me at the drop of a hat."

Parker

Re: Woman loses 170lb from cycling and makes lots of new fri

Postby Parker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 pm

I could cry... wicked story

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm

What a great story.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks for posting that inspirational story
2012 Oppy A4

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Very 8) story! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Can you see what is happening here. :shock: she and I have changed places. :cry:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Great read, we all need a heart lifter once in a while :mrgreen:
Apple wrote:Can you see what is happening here. :shock: she and I have changed places. :cry:
I don't believe this for an instant :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Apple wrote:Can you see what is happening here. :shock: she and I have changed places. :cry:
All the more reason not to give the bike away Apple! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

You just need to get over your phobia of 'bents. I doubt the cost is holding you back. If nothing else it will keep your fitness up until you can ride a DF/wedgie again.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Did someone say "free bike"? :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Apple don't do that :(

I've had lower back issues for a number of years and while i've still got a.long way to go, the pursuit of the ability to keep cycling pain free is forcing me to face and deal with long term postural and core stability issues that ive had since childhood.

Sue it's been a long slog, but it is paying off in so many ways. Its 2 steps forward 1 step back but the trend is in the right direction. Hate to think where i'd be if i'd capitulated :(

Never give up

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 am

Back is much better now, but it looks like this lady has taken my mojo as well. :mrgreen:
I think I will need to print out this thread and put it on my wall so that I can see it every morning to motivate me to get up and do something just as amazing. :oops:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

No, you are just weak as p!ss and she isn't.

Come have a coffee with me some day and we'll talk about lower back pain.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
No, you are just weak as p!ss and she isn't.

Yes you are correct about the P*ss, I am :oops:
Do you have issues with lower back pain.
mine is getting better since that Sealy bed people made the bed harder.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:[No, you are just weak as p!ss and she isn't.

correct about the P*ss. She is strong, true. :oops:
Gorilla, I didnt know you had back issues. Very sad to read that. :(

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes Apple, I busted my back pretty badly about 30 years ago. It was enough to force me out of work. I couldn't walk when the weather was cold and in warm weather I used a walking stick. Finally got into a rehab program and after a few years I stopped feeling sorry for myself, retrained and got into the job I'm in today.
I always have pain, just the amount varies but I refuse to take anything strionger than Panadol.
You can only expect the sympathy vote for so long. Swimming and cycling, by the way, are the two types of exercise that are most beneficial for me.
PM me and we'll arrange to get together for a coffee and discuss crook backs. I'm in Sydney on business one day each week so a play date is very do-able. I don't bite, just ask Parker.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Yes Apple, I busted my back pretty badly about 30 years ago. It was enough to force me out of work. I couldn't walk when the weather was cold and in warm weather I used a walking stick. Finally got into a rehab program and after a few years I stopped feeling sorry for myself, retrained and got into the job I'm in today.
I always have pain, just the amount varies but I refuse to take anything strionger than Panadol.
You can only expect the sympathy vote for so long. Swimming and cycling, by the way, are the two types of exercise that are most beneficial for me.
PM me and we'll arrange to get together for a coffee and discuss crook backs. I'm in Sydney on business one day each week so a play date is very do-able. I don't bite, just ask Parker.

Impressive, you are my hero, forget the fat chick, she has nothing on you :P
My back is much better now, seriously don’t let anyone sell you a bed when you know what you want and they convince you otherwise. I have been out of action for 6 weeks but I feel much better.
The bed has been adjusted
I am swimming and now I have the bike set up on the wind trainer, I will make a film video of myself with music in the background, see if I get as many hits on YouTube as the omelette blond bird, I doubt it, maybe it will be popular on the nursing home channel :roll:

Petee

Postby Petee » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 am

need before and after pics :<

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Cycling sure is the best activity for burning those excess body fat stores.
Vegan since 2001.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 pm

durianrider wrote:Cycling sure is the best activity for burning those excess body fat stores.
Are you sure?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Parker wrote:
durianrider wrote:Cycling sure is the best activity for burning those excess body fat stores.
Are you sure?

Horizontal dancing goes without saying as the most enjoyable activity for burning fat. Sometimes the lady partner puts on weight though

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
Parker wrote:
Are you sure?

Horizontal dancing goes without saying as the most enjoyable activity for burning fat. Sometimes the lady partner puts on weight though
Must agree... must also say in many cases the gentleman partner also puts on weight

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Horizontal dancing doesn't burn fat. It's just fun.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Horizontal dancing doesn't burn fat. It's just fun.
Sad but true. There's a paragraph on it here. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"MYTH: A bout of sexual activity burns 100 to 300 kcal per person — With intense sexual activity, a 154-pound man burns approximately 3.5 kcal per minute. However, given that the average amount of time spent during one stimulation and orgasm session is about 6 minutes, this man might expend about 21 kcal total. But, he would burn about 7 kcal just lying on the couch, so that amount has to be subtracted, which gives a grand total of 14 kcals of energy expended."

Back on your bikes, gentlemen!

timber

Postby timber » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Parker wrote:
Are you sure?
Running must be the best , but cycling is so more exicing :D