Suspension seat posts

Uba Tracker

Suspension seat posts

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 pm

So what's the hot ticket in Suspension Seat posts these days. I've got Specialized hardtail MTB that I use as my work hack and I'd like to take the buzz out of it. Any help appreciated :wink:

Nobody

Re: Suspension seat posts

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Maybe look at lowering your tyre pressure first, since bicycle suspension is what Mr Dunlop first developed pneumatic tyres for.

If you must get a suspension seatpost though, the Cane Creek Thudbuster ST is most likely the best around.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks Nobody, certainly a cheaper option although I'm running 700 x 38's on it so I don't want to deflate too much. Ideally I'd like to maintain the tyre pressure for efficiency (such as it is) and get some butt relief. The Thudbuster looks well made, I stumbled across the BodyFloat which looks awesome until you get to the price $349 - ouch.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 am

I've used a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST on my hardtail 26'ers for the past few years. They have a choice of five different stiffness elastomers for different rider weights. Works well

I've also just put one on the rear of my tandem for my 30kg son. I used a 3/8" hole punch on the softest elastomer (40kg) to soften it up a bit

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 pm

kukamunga wrote:I've used a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST on my hardtail 26'ers for the past few years. They have a choice of five different stiffness elastomers for different rider weights. Works well

I've also just put one on the rear of my tandem for my 30kg son. I used a 3/8" hole punch on the softest elastomer (40kg) to soften it up a bit
Thanks Kuka, where did you get yours from?

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:10 am

Uba Tracker wrote:Thanks Kuka, where did you get yours from?
My first one I bought second hand off a friend, the second one through a bike shop i worked at through the old distributors (Velocity)

I believe DirtWorks are the current Oz Distributors, and I think you'll be looking at over AUD$220 RRP. Or I believe you can buy direct from http://www.thudbuster.com/ in the US, or just google to find cheaper prices. I've personally never seen one in stock in any LBS here in Melbourne

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm

kukamunga wrote:
Uba Tracker wrote:Thanks Kuka, where did you get yours from?
My first one I bought second hand off a friend, the second one through a bike shop i worked at through the old distributors (Velocity)

I believe DirtWorks are the current Oz Distributors, and I think you'll be looking at over AUD$220 RRP. Or I believe you can buy direct from http://www.thudbuster.com/ in the US, or just google to find cheaper prices. I've personally never seen one in stock in any LBS here in Melbourne
Cheers mate, thanks very much.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:41 pm

I saw some flex posts at the Taipei Bike Show. They were carbon but at the top end had a Titanium insert a bit like a leaf spring. Seemed like a pretty good design for someone who didn't require too much "suspension"

They were made by Trigon for anyone who wants to go searching for them.

The thing I liked with their design is there was no shock to wear out, no rubber to flog out, no wearable parts.
Last edited by jacks1071 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm

A cheaper alternative to the Cane Creek Thudbuster is the Suntour NCX Parallelogramm seatpost. I have just installed one on my Hybrid; seems good so far, but early days.
Got mine from: http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... etze-.html I have used this German company twice now, and they have been really good.