Retro MTB Tribe

singlespeedscott

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Obviously not the original fork.
What makes you say that? My first MTB (a Bennet thingamy) in the early 80's with a similarly raked double crown fork. When it sagged under pressure it was replaced with a chrome single crown of similar rake and mass!
The frame is made for cantilevers. The fork has only has mount for long reach single pivot caliper.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Is the headset on that Lotus what it looks like or something else?
...or were you being lewd about the logo on the headtube?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:42 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Obviously not the original fork.
What makes you say that? My first MTB (a Bennet thingamy) in the early 80's with a similarly raked double crown fork. When it sagged under pressure it was replaced with a chrome single crown of similar rake and mass!
The frame is made for cantilevers. The fork has only has mount for long reach single pivot caliper.
A-ha!! That I didn't notice. More fool me.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:A-ha!! That I didn't notice. More fool me.
Must admit to missing that myself as well....

'cept the craptastic "MX" calipers the rest of the running gear doesn't look too bad from what detail I can make out.
Bullnose bars might have been a bit more macho than the sissy risers :D

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm

It is an odd one this bike and I am starting to think that there aren't many of these around. The front fork is the correct one and does have the cantilever mounts. I think it more likely that the front caliper has been replaced with the single pivot caliper. There are a couple of images on the net showing frames with these forks and one shows the cantilever set up as fitted to the rear of this bike.

The bars are a but spesh! I'm guessing that they used these as opposed to flatter bars as the seat height shown is actually in the lowest position.

Scott

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:02 pm

8/40Special wrote:It is an odd one this bike ...
The thot plickens. Interesting what you say about the lowest seat height... but it is a small looking frame - assuming they are 26" wheels. Even more so I guess if they're 24"

Care to share some more detailed pics of the areas of contention, Scott?

I'm curious about the running gear, eg what make & model

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

8/40Special wrote:It is an odd one this bike and I am starting to think that there aren't many of these around. The front fork is the correct one and does have the cantilever mounts. I think it more likely that the front caliper has been replaced with the single pivot caliper. There are a couple of images on the net showing frames with these forks and one shows the cantilever set up as fitted to the rear of this bike.

Scott
Now I've had a second look I can see the mounts.

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Happy Humber,

Here are some close ups of the components.

The derailleurs and selector levers are Suntour mountech, the cranks are Sugino and the rear caliper is Dia Compe. There are no markings on the front caliper and it doesn't look as good quality as the rest of the components. The pedals have MTP-100 on them. Wheels are 26" and height from crank centerline to seat mounting is 19".

It sort of looks like a roadbike made into a mountain bike, which I guess it was.

Scott

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Definitely early - mid 80's mtb.

Parts are pretty much spec for high mid range MTB's at the time.

It was a good bike in its day. Definitely needs the front canti's put back on and a nice set of bullmoose handle bars.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah, wow... does look a bit better quality with this detail. The front caliper really threw me off as you very see similar units on cheaper bikes later 80s through 90s. I'd say that's were these were procured from at some point.

I'm not especially au fait with Suntour date codes or the component range, but I agree with SingleSpeedScott... the derailleurs do look decent enough. Dia compe can often be written off for their cheap bits - but they did make some decent stuff. If you have the convex washers mounting the brake pad stems to concave slots canitilever arms to allow toe-in adjustment, you're not doing too badly :)

Re: your comments about Road Components; most early production MTBs came with touring spec components to allow a lower and wider range of gears, fatter tyres. Funny how now to some degree touring bikes rely on MTB components these days.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Cha-ching!

Click through on the pic for the page where I found this one.

I'm wondering if yours was a private import into Australia, seeing as they seem pretty unknown.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:33 pm

And a smidge more Googling based on what that last find told me :

http://vintagelotusbicycles.com/Pegasus_ATB.html

There's some good info on their "What year is it?" page. Of course, going from the parts alone - you've got to take into account not all may be original, and even those bits with the best guess you assume to be original, they are the part's OEM date code - not the frames. So you sorta have to assume the parts have to come from the months/year leading up to actual bike assembly and sale. If the "original" parts date average in that 6-12 months before a suspected year, you're probably correct.

You should contribute to the sites serial registry based on what else you can piece together from your example.

floody

Postby floody » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 pm

I think if you date the rear derailleur you'll have a close to firm model year for it.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am

Certainly an early 80's bike. The Bennett I had was very similarly equipped though not at quite that spec in the driveline (still mostly Suntour - brakes were the same) and the frame wasn't as 'nice'. It is well worth the glory. Nice to see I was right about the front fork in the end too!!

They weren't really MTBs in the current sense of the word...they had more in line with the original downhill double track clunkers that Fisher et al were dreaming up in California in the previous decade. Heavy, slack, tough and rather good fun.

I'd be tempted to tidy this up to a modern spec with some new Shimano wheels, Schwalbe Marathon tyres, Pauls Component canti brakes and thumbies and return the cockpit to spec (as far as possible) and commute the heck out of it. Though where you might find a seatpost with that sort of set back is anyone's guess!

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm not especially au fait with Suntour date codes or the component range, but I agree with SingleSpeedScott... the derailleurs do look decent enough. Dia compe can often be written off for their cheap bits - but they did make some decent stuff. If you have the convex washers mounting the brake pad stems to concave slots canitilever arms to allow toe-in adjustment, you're not doing too badly :)

Thanks gents.

It does have convex washers fitted behind the pads to adjust the toe!

I think I'll replace a few things and tidy it up for the time being and send some pics to the Lotus site. It probably would come up a treat modernising it, but I'll find out a bit more about it.

It actually rides nicely for an old beast.

Scott

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Curious about your comment about the seat post not going any lower. Wondering if it's a deliberate obstruction or not. Maybe if it's deliberate, the original post might have been a lot shorter?

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Curious about your comment about the seat post not going any lower. Wondering if it's a deliberate obstruction or not. Maybe if it's deliberate, the original post might have been a lot shorter?
The seat post is very long (6" protruding above the frame and 9 1/2' into the tube). It fouls on the upper of the pump/water bottle bracket mounting holes. I can rectify it easily by cutting an inch or so off the post if I need to , but a bit hesitant to do so on the alloy post.

Scott

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Sounds huge! And I guess not original for the bike.... but anyway.. just be glad you don't have a stuck post...

frog

Postby frog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm looking for some Michelin Wildgripper MTB tyres 26 inch in the green/amber combination.

Aren't they loverrrrly looking ..

My wtb thread in the member to member section:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Newest bike I have ever owned!! but still suitable for this thread I think. A local mate rides the hard tail version of this and I have wanted one ever since taking a quick spin on his.

KHS Team ST Not sure if it's a '02 or '03. This is a quick single speed build so I can take it our this weekend. Think I might go 9 speed for the first time in my life.. ooer.

Unsure of the amps with this frame.. thoughts?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Slow6 wrote: Image
Sweet. Love the Amp's too. How are the seals in the shock?

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am

Not bad.. it'll need an overhaul soon enough I suspect. taking her out for a shakedown today. woohoo.

frog

Postby frog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 am

How'd it go!?

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 am

Yeh lots of fun thanks. The head tube is on a steeper angle on this frame compared to the previoud frame I had the amps on and they behave a lot better. Quite a twitchy ride.
Yet another reminder never to buy cheap no-name crap from eBay though, the budget chain pensioner sounds like a card in the spokes.
Went out with a flat battery in the camera and it died before I could get too artsy.

Few more hasty build oversights if you can pick em.. did turn that seat clamp around though :P

By the way did any one on here grab this bargain in Melb?

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm

This is the finest example of an old school MTB I've ever seen. Really dig it. Is that last photo an HDR piece?