Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Need a ruling on whether this fits...

Heading home after a run to the bank and shops, I spy a Pajero in a driveway.
Bloke looks to be doing brake work on it, trying to get the nearside rear rotor off.
He was sitting on the ground beside the rear wheel arch with his legs spread out under the 'bus.

Which was supported by nothing more than a hydraulic bottle jack balanced on a lump of wood (Yes, I do ride that slowly on the FG).

Moron?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Need a ruling on whether this fits...

Bloke looks to be doing brake work on it, trying to get the nearside rear rotor off.
He was sitting on the ground beside the rear wheel arch with his legs spread out under the 'bus.

Which was supported by nothing more than a hydraulic bottle jack balanced on a lump of wood (Yes, I do ride that slowly on the FG).

Moron?
It's a Pajero. All bets are off :-P

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Moron?
err.. absolutely. it doesn't take much to roll a vehicle off a jack, or for the wood chock to split. axle stands only cost a few bucks. common sense... priceless.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks lads. :D

Only reason I asked was 'cos he wasn't exactly a motorist at the time, the 'bus being stationary and all...

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:01 pm

human909 wrote:Furthermore, just because a lane does not have painted lines THROUGH the intersection does not mean that that the "bike lane" finishes. Often line marking is not done in intersections to avoid confusion to other traffic.
Check the photo. There is a sign saying the bike lane ends at the junction.
human909 wrote:
London Boy wrote:
il padrone wrote:The driver pictured is just adhering to the road rules :roll:
Or not, as it turns out.
Twisting road rules so you get to win an argument is not what this is about. Cars are allowed to drive in and cross bike lanes in many circumstances, this is one of them.
Not necessary to twist the rules. You just have to read the words as they are written. Statutory construction 101. The law is not what you think it ought to be, it is what was written in the act that parliament passed or written in the regulation that the minister signed.

You would be amazed at how pedantic the courts are when it comes to interpreting both primary and secondary legislation. Or maybe you wouldn't. Whichever, go read a few cases and you'll see what I mean. Understanding that is the difference between winning and losing.
human909 wrote:What you seem to be advocating here is a road rule that enshrines and encourages left hooking! :shock: :lol:
No, I'm not advocating anything. I'm just reading the words of the regulation and applying it to the facts. I personally think it is better and safer for the motorist to take the bike lane, but that is not the law.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Had a funny one today riding home on the M5.

Just as I rode over the painted bicycle picture on the shoulder, a red Commy drives past with the passenger hanging out the window screaming "ride on the bike path you ****ing moron!!!". He had the angriest looking face, too.

I couldnt help but give him a big cheesy grin, followed by an excited wave followed by blowing him a kiss.

He flipped me the bird.

:lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:30 pm

London Boy wrote:Not necessary to twist the rules. You just have to read the words as they are written. Statutory construction 101. The law is not what you think it ought to be, it is what was written in the act that parliament passed or written in the regulation that the minister signed.

You would be amazed at how pedantic the courts are when it comes to interpreting both primary and secondary legislation. Or maybe you wouldn't. Whichever, go read a few cases and you'll see what I mean. Understanding that is the difference between winning and losing.
Despite all the fine points of Magistrate or County Court decision making and rules of jurisprudence, I still cannot view the "accused" driver as a moron motorist :? Maybe he broke some obscure interpretation of a rule, but he did no different nor less responsible an act than a lot of reasonable motorists might do.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 am

Okay, I see a lot of crud driving everyday and normally I just roll my eyes and let it wash off my back like ducks water [sic] but this was exceptional. During the Audax Opperman All Day Trial on Saturday our group was heading down the scarp near Mt Nasura (I'd never heard of it until I plotted my course on GoogleEarth afterwards) some time after midnight. A car came roaring up the hill, lights on high beam, continuous horn and just as they went past - beer (or RTD?) bottle lobbed from the car smashed right in front of me showering me in broken glass. Just stunning. What the heck were they thinking? I shudder to think what would have happened if it had hit me (I was doing about 30 km/h), could have been very messy indeed. It's not like we were causing them any inconvenience or theatening their "right to drive". I just don't get some people, whatever happened to respect for others?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:35 am

A year or so back a similar thing happened to a foreign cycle-tourist riding along the Geelong Rd freeway. He was just negotiating an access ramp and looked back to check traffic. Some despicable freaky idiot* driving in a following car hurled a bottle (full I think) and it hit him in the cheek. He was knocked out and suffered a badly fractured cheek-bone.

Great welcome to our land :|

* I despise such anti-social fools and think they should have each fingernail separately removed before their prison sentence.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

[mod]Please do not use swearing, even masked swearing. Find a smarter way to communicate your frustration[/mod]

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

London Boy wrote:
human909 wrote:Furthermore, just because a lane does not have painted lines THROUGH the intersection does not mean that that the "bike lane" finishes. Often line marking is not done in intersections to avoid confusion to other traffic.
Check the photo. There is a sign saying the bike lane ends at the junction.
So as the lane ends at the junction, the cyclist must give way to any vehicle in the neighbouring lane including those turning in front of him?

Makes sense?

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZKF5xsNpk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Need a ruling on whether this fits...

Moron?
It's a Pajero. All bets are off :-P

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Indeed, not people know what the word "pajero" means in the Spanish language. Look it up :)

arkle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Hahaha!!! Idiot driver has to stop his car (blocking traffic) to check that he hasn't scraped his car's fender......... after wiping off those cyclists.

Prize prat.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 pm

il padrone wrote:
Hahaha!!! Idiot driver has to stop his car (blocking traffic) to check that he hasn't scraped his car's fender......... after wiping off those cyclists.

Prize prat.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 am

MM today on the commute this morning was the motorcyclist changing lanes at an intersection without indicating. He went from right lane to left lane, didn't look in his mirror until he'd already completed the move, while I had to take evasive action as I was already in the left lane (slow speeds though so not too much of a problem) and then the motorcyclist seemed to want to ride into the pedestrian crossing onto the left of a car (the car was waiting in the intersection near said ped crossing to do a right hand hook turn) so pushed me further to the left. He finally saw me, got a fright and then stopped and I went around him. I think he may even have been wanting to go up on the pavement to park or was just being cute about getting around traffic to do a hook turn himself.

MM yesterday night was really, really strange - returning from a live play we've just seen at around 11PM my partner and I have just reached our car when a small car without headlights comes out of nowhere at a high speed (it was a dead end street and we were at the end so I'm not sure how he managed to get to that speed so quickly).

Car looked similar to this (although with the hood up and cabin fully enclosed):

Anyway, he's waiting at the lights so we catch up to him once we get in our car to exit this side street. We both turn right into the main street. He then goes into the right hand turn lane to turn right again and we go into the straight ahead lane beside him. I mention to my partner that he has still not got headlights on. My partner has a look and then says the driver looks like a child. I turn around to have a squiz, and he is right, the child-like male can barely see over the dashboard. I then notice his head dipping and bobbing and his car inching slowly forward in small increments, closer and closer to the car waiting in the right hand lane in front of him.

The people in the car behind us are all staring at this car. Next thing I see the car really close to the car in front of it and the poor lady in that car (Volvo or Audi stationwagon or something similar) is hopping out of the driver's seat and going around to the back. The child-like driver has driven his car at slow speed into the back of hers. We then had a green and left the incident. I have no idea what was wrong with him or whether he was actually a child or tired or on drugs or drunk, looking at a mobile phone or something but it was really strange as he was inching closer to her car in seeming slow-mo and should have noticed the danger before he hit.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 am

Cut off twice by the same bus in quick succession last night.

In the middle of 3 lanes about half way up the length of the bus on his right. Decides to change into my lane whilst i'm occupying it. I hard brake and drop into the left lane. Within 30 seconds we approach red light, same thing, now in line with rear door on his left. Bus decides to change back into left lane, which i'm occupying. Although this time he swerves back after coming half way into the lane as he notices me at the last second. I pull along side at the red and give him some abuse. He looks at me and waves me past, like he's giving me permission to pass. Obnoxious or oblivious? Either way a danger.

Camera is on it's way.

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm

This belongs in two sections. I'm a dumb cyclist for not taking my GoPro on today's ride, other wise I'd be able to show you footage of this moron motorist. Moron motorist shaves me. Not in the normal sense but the type of shave that removes hair and skin. The passengers mirror scrapes my right hand as he passes and pulls my glove forward on my hand (yep, that close). I momentarily pull up along side at a round abot and share a few observations from my perspective, but not close enough to adjust their mirror to the "off car" position. A couple of minutes later I notice I'm being followed by an exact replica of the car that had just shaved me. I kept watching them for about five minutes in my mirror. It was an 80 zone in a rural area and they kept pulling over to let other cars past before pulling back onto the road and following at about 50 metres. Not knowing their intentions (my initial thought was it was a woman driver and she was on the phone to her hubby to get him to come down and beat up on the aggressive cyclist she had just encountered). I get jack of it after a while and pull a u turn, as does MM. Any way I stopped and a bogan god gets out of the car. I won't go into too much detail on the econversation suffice to say many obscenities were shouted and every imaginable cliche was quoted. His parting shot was "if you want to ride on the road go and buy a motorbike". It ruined my ride. My legs were like jelly after. I downloaded the garmin when I got home and my peak heart rate was during the "discussion".

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:19 pm

AKO wrote:This belongs in two sections. I'm a dumb cyclist for not taking my GoPro on today's ride, other wise I'd be able to show you footage of this moron motorist. Moron motorist shaves me. Not in the normal sense but the type of shave that removes hair and skin. The passengers mirror scrapes my right hand as he passes and pulls my glove forward on my hand (yep, that close). I momentarily pull up along side at a round abot and share a few observations from my perspective, but not close enough to adjust their mirror to the "off car" position. A couple of minutes later I notice I'm being followed by an exact replica of the car that had just shaved me. I kept watching them for about five minutes in my mirror. It was an 80 zone in a rural area and they kept pulling over to let other cars past before pulling back onto the road and following at about 50 metres. Not knowing their intentions (my initial thought was it was a woman driver and she was on the phone to her hubby to get him to come down and beat up on the aggressive cyclist she had just encountered). I get jack of it after a while and pull a u turn, as does MM. Any way I stopped and a bogan god gets out of the car. I won't go into too much detail on the econversation suffice to say many obscenities were shouted and every imaginable cliche was quoted. His parting shot was "if you want to ride on the road go and buy a motorbike". It ruined my ride. My legs were like jelly after. I downloaded the garmin when I got home and my peak heart rate was during the "discussion".
Ouch. It's like they know you forgot your camera. A MM sixth sense that is developing?

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm hearing you Summernight. 3 times lately I've not taken it and 3 times I've been shaved. It's really laziness as I hadn't downloaded and recharged it since the last ride. Oh we'll.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:48 pm

I neither use a video camera, nor have grief from moronic motorists. Not riding for the past 7 weeks, due to injury, but I doubt it's got too much worse.

Practice riding wider!!

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm

il padrone wrote:I neither use a video camera, nor have grief from moronic motorists. Not riding for the past 7 weeks, due to injury, but I doubt it's got too much worse.

Practice riding wider!!
The problem was il Padrone, I was. After our discussion where I was told "my rates paid for that bike lane and you weren't using it", as well as some other doozies, I'm convinced it was deliberate. Didn't matter that the bike lane ended half a click before the incident, the shoulder is where I was "supposed" to be riding.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 pm

OK. What I do if I see this sort of thing early enough in my rear-view mirror. Move to the right when they are 30m or so back!! Do a 'wiggle'

Seems rash but the drivers sure change their minds about close-shaving and suddenly change lanes !!

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

It was sudden and deliberate. I glance at the mirror constantly and he didn't seam a threat, as I said I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose to teach me a lesson for riding on his road.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Hmm.... bastard!

Sorry for you :(