National Drive2Work Day. Monday November 11.

The 2nd Womble

Re: National Drive2Work Day. Monday November 11.

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

All good IP

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:41 am

il padrone wrote:... I may be proven wrong but that's how I look at it. Not trying to rain on anybody's party, just how I see it.
I agree, little/no impact on road congestion - after all, it's screwed already. But parking (around here, anyway) will be another matter entirely.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:51 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I too feel the need to voice opposition to this project, as I have in the past. I feel that it's spiteful and vindictive, leading to more devisiveness and increasing the "us against them" mentality. To me it seems like a base action, looking at the problem too simply. I don't think it's a good way to promote cycling to others, and I feel that it will do the opposite of its goals of getting motorists to think "hey, there's a cyclist; I must be courteous because they're reducing congestion. Go cyclist!".

Just my opinion though...
Coming in late here...

I think the meaning/intent behind the day, and the actual interpretation the general public will take from it are far divorced from one another. I see it turning into a 'la di da look at the cyclists proving their point, thereby clogging up our roads even more than they usually do'. You've got to remember, the attitude of 'bikes are a problem' will remain even after this action.

There are problems of congestion, safety, and attitudes on each side. I can't solve it, but maybe this is at least an attempt, however misguided some may think it is. It's getting people talking.

Jim

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Clashes with Remembrance Day.

JM

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:38 am

Then rather than making it a drive to work day, make it a drive to work month - with no announcement, just make it happen. The drivers might notice that there are not many cyclists on the road, but traffic is even worse than it was. if you have a car and can legally and safely drive it (there, I think I've appeased the BNA pedants) - then just go ahead and do it.
familyguy wrote: I can't solve it, but maybe this is at least an attempt, however misguided some may think it is. It's getting people talking.
People are always going to be anti-cycling until they get on a bike themselves, so there is nothing lost from this measure. Too often, bike-riders are the soft-touch, divided amongst each other. And our enemies see that - so they stoke the division between us. They set the touring and occasional cyclists against the commuter and sporting/racing cyclists, and of course, we all play along happily. All our ships must sail in the same direction.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am

g-boaf wrote:People are always going to be anti-cycling until they get on a bike themselves
^^ THIS

Why I argue so strongly that we need to remove the MHL.

g-boaf wrote:And our enemies see that - so they stoke the division between us. They set the touring and occasional cyclists against the commuter and sporting/racing cyclists, and of course, we all play along happily. All our ships must sail in the same direction.
I really do not think your Average Joe Motorist is even aware of such fine differences :|

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Is this still on?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Certainly is. Just hop in the car and drive until you find your nearest traffic jam. For anyone in Brisbane that usually only takes 10 minutes or so.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm off roster, do I really have to go to work? :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Drive to the pub/brothel/tattoo parlor/bicycle coaching clinic? If you live in Qld they're probably all owned by bikie gangs. Bugger.

diventare

Postby diventare » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 pm

It worked for motorcyclists (one of which I am) -

1986 Melbourne (roughly) rules against parking motorcycles on the footpath were mooted - motorcyclists organised a rally which saw them assembling in Melbourne CBD and parking 1 bike to car parking spots for the time allowed. Such a graphic demonstration of the potential waste of parking space that we still have footpath parking in Melbourne to this day.

2009 rules against motorcycle lane filtering (moving between stationary traffic prisoners) were mooted - motorcyclists rode the eastern freeway in peak hour not filtering to demonstrate the difference it would make. Vic govt backed away from the legislation quickly after the traffic jam cleared.

The only problem with D2WD from my thought is that it would be difficult for the mug behind the wheel to realise that the extra traffic was coming from no bikes unless it was in their faces somehow. In the above cases everybody could recognize the action was by motorcyclists, D2WD is just more cars which probably won't be recognised as action by the average nail painting, phone using, book reading, red light running, speeding, bullying, frustrated but cant think of an alternative, lazy tax object motorist.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Interesting, I've always used Ride2Work day as my Drive2Work day...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Simple way to differentiate. Wear your helmut, drive to work with the bike racked on, or simply get creative with a sign on the car. There isn't any need to pay SCA for the privilege of being being inconvenienced while making your point. It's bad enough that that you'll have to pay for fuel.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:Interesting, I've always used Ride2Work day as my Drive2Work day...
That's pretty clever, roads should be a little quieter with a few less smokeboxes out. Might make it almost bearable.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:It's bad enough that that you'll have to pay for fuel.
+ $20 parking but worse is the miserable attitude that comes with being stuck in traffic for an hour each way

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Rain predicted for tomorrow morning in Canberra. It will be a drive to work day by default.

Only the hard core cyclists will be riding and they will ride anyway. As for me on days like this I drive to a free carpark 1.3km from where I work and have a commuter bike with racks and panniers on the car. Since I do the school and childcare drop-off on the way to work all the paid spots nearest to work are always full on even a regular day.

For the idea to work properly all the non-regular car commuters need to get there early and take up all the best parking spots.

Cheers,

Cameron

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Hard core? A rain jacket and a mudguard is all you need to make riding in the wet perfectly comfy.

My only rule for the wet is to stay right off the road... There's something about Canberra drivers and rain...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm

You've just underlined my point. Riding in the rain isn't difficult, but only the really committed will do it ... here anyway.

Cheers,

Cameron

skull

Postby skull » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah I don't do rain with the exception of going out on the mtb. Don't mind wet and muddy. Do mind wet and road.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:47 am

I rode in the rain yesterday. Don't see what was so bad about it. Probably about 28km of riding in heavy rain.

Looks like the Drive2Work day fizzled out here in Sydney. The traffic wasn't any worse than it normally is.

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Didn't see a single bicycle on my way to work today. Mind you it is wet for the first time in what feels like years, so that could be a large factor in why.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am

I saw a lot around Circular Quay this morning when I was walking. Evidently they didn't get the message or didn't think it was important enough to pursue.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

There seemed to be less commuters along Coronation Drive today, but it could just be me.
New fb page starting up this week iin preparation for next year. We'll make sure it doesn't interfere with anything else in 2014 and there will be much wider promotion.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:46 pm

can I recommend moving to a day that isn't Remembrance day?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 pm

See above.