Cargo bikes in Perth

twowheels

Cargo bikes in Perth

Postby twowheels » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Just curious if any other Perth forum members have cargo bikes. The closest category on the forums is commuting.

Baalzamon

Re: Cargo bikes in Perth

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Just4thehellaboutit has a Surly Dummy
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 am

And not just Surly's Big Dummy but the largest (22") frame size. Big rider, big bike, bright dynamo light ... I've had people pull off the bikepath when they see me coming, looking like they think I'm another motorbike on the path.
I've just helped modify a Kona Ute cargo bike (custom pannier racks, dynamo lights, bidon adapters, double kickstand, custom framefit bags) and if you're desperate there's another Kona sitting in Guildford Cycles but you'll also need to do lots of modification if you want it as anything other than an urban shopper. Most cargo bikes I've seen in Perth are longtails like the Kona or Surly but most people seem to go the cheaper and probably more practical path of adding an Xtracycle adapter to the rear of an existing bike; one of our local BNAers has done this (Jetski?). Besides the longtails you'll see a few Christiana bikes and trikes about, the 'Long John' design with the low cargo area or wooden box out front. So there's a few cargo bikes about in Perth and different styles. I've actually carried more on my recumbent trike with trailer than on the cargo bike, up to 120kg and even the odd hay bale or shrubbery. Can't be good for the ego to be on a training ride around the river and passed by some guy on a trike AND his tree.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

I've seen a couple of bright orange workcycles out & about, no idea if their owners are on here though. They look awesome, I can't help but grin when I spot them.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

I think Little Creatures has a promo Bullit 'long john' cargo example, as J4TH described.

There's an excuse to pop down there for a pint; to see if it's there to cast your peepers over it.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Saw a lady peddling a cargo bike in Freo last weekend, with two little kids in the box on the front. I didn't see any logos on it, so I'm guessing it was privately owned. (My wife and I spent the weekend exploring Freo on our folding bikes, which was amazingly good fun. You can get around really quickly, and they're small and maneouverable so you can pretty much go anywhere pedestrians can.)
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I think the Freo one is a Dutch bike - a Gazelle Cabby. I haven't seen the lady riding it, but I have seen the Dad with the two kids in it.

coyote

Postby coyote » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Any chance of some photo's please of any of these bikes.

Thansks 8)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 pm

coyote wrote:Any chance of some photo's please of any of these bikes.
eh!?

images.google.com <---- insert brand & model names here :P
--

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Ironic request given your Sig Coyote ;)

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=60000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.s. this typical bike photos search didn't return the pics that would normally sell bikes...
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=hot+g ... ih=533#p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:37 am

Haven't got any pics of my cargo bike, could do one. What do you want, the standard 'naked on a bearskin rug' shot? Will have to look for a rug.

In the mean time there's these
http://forums.mtbr.com/cargo-bikes/post ... 80747.html
http://clevercycles.com/blog/products/b ... ily-cargo/

coyote

Postby coyote » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Haven't got any pics of my cargo bike, could do one. What do you want, the standard 'naked on a bearskin rug' shot? Will have to look for a rug.
Forget the bearskin rug, sunset by the beach would do just fine. 8) Just interested in these bikes that are getting used in and around Perth. :)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:09 pm

eldavo wrote:Ironic request given your Sig Coyote ;)
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=60000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I took the sig as a more comment on the impending deletion .... waiting for the detonator to fall i.e. the mods finger on the delete button?
just4tehhalibut wrote:In the mean time there's these
http://forums.mtbr.com/cargo-bikes/post ... 80747.html
Love the couple of shots of the Bison (Buffalo?) warily eyeing the Brooks saddle :lol: :lol:
--

leguman

Postby leguman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm

just4tehhalibut, where did you get your BD? I'm looking for one in Perth too! 22" frame if you're considering selling up?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm

leguman wrote:just4tehhalibut, where did you get your BD? I'm looking for one in Perth too! 22" frame if you're considering selling up?
Sell his vehicle.... I don't think he will
I think your best off going to a few LBS and asking if they can get a big dummy in for you.
Just checked on surlybikes.com and might be worth asking Quantum Bicycles and Elite Racing Cycles

leguman

Postby leguman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks Baalz, I was <mostly> joking when I was wondering if J4TH was selling.

I called Quantam and ERC, both said they could order things in, but the folks I spoke to didn't know too much else about them - to be fair I was in a hurry too!

Was hoping to find a shop that had some more experience in the BD's.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 am

leguman wrote:Thanks Baalz, I was <mostly> joking when I was wondering if J4TH was selling.
No harm in asking, leguman... but I think you might be a bit down the queue should J4TH was consider selling which is highly unlikely considering he doesn't own a car. I've had a bit of a test ride of it myself. It's the bike equivalent of a 4WD Ute! Love those fat low pressure tyres!

Scour some of the North American forums for build details and other people experiences. But give it time, I think you'll be gradually seeing more of the Dummies and other equivalent load carrying bikes around Old Dullsville.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 am

Nope, not selling.

If you are thinking of buying a Surly BD of your own you might be best to ask your LBS to let you know if any specials come up. This is getting likely as DirtWorks, the AU distributor will no longer be handling products from QBP in America, so the Salsa and Surly ranges of bikes and bits included. I'm not clear on details but Dirtworks still has bikes in stock so perhaps may do a sale to clear these after the parting of ways. Here's hoping.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 am

I noticed a German bike shop advertising worldwide on ebay keyword bakfiets should find it, with seemingly viable freight, massive range of nice bikes including claimed to be cargo bikes brands from Holland for what you're paying for Chinese ones here.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:44 am

When I was running http://www.cargocycles.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2008-2010) I sent a couple to Perth. Definitely one to Freo, and I seem to recall one going to the north side somewhere.

They're definitely out there...

tim

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

I've got an xtracycle free radical bike.... it's not in cargo form at the moment though. If you want to see pics of it loaded etc then check out my blog http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog

I also have a carry freedom trailer and will be doing a write up comparing the two soon!! (hint for most things I prefer the xtracycle, so no its not for sale ;))

leguman

Postby leguman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your imput! Eldavo - thanks, I'll have a look.

Barefoot - i've looked and the Cargocycles website and there are some options to consider.

Jet-ski - a free radical is definitely something I'm considering. I want to put 2 kids on the back and hear that there's a bit of flex when you start pushing the weight being carried. I'm also pretty big 6 foot 5 and no lightweight - hence looking for the 22" frame, so have concerns about the free radical flex factor - also have concerns about the "one-size-fits-all-bikes" - but I think we're starting to get a bit off topic!

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi leguman! you might get a little bit of flex when turning (I call it 'wallow'), but flex isn't the end of the world, I think you get used to it :) I've had a 70kg adult on the back of mine and it did flex a bit... the problem was more me being able to pedal it in that scenario though :) I am short and 64kgs so the max load I've done is 134kgs on the freerad and I'd say that is the limit I'd feel comfortable with.

The only real issues I had with my freeradical were related to the drivetrain components of the 'donor' bike - originally it had a short cage alivio rear derailluer and aging alivio shifters... these were not up to the task of handling the extra chain and the longer cable. I upgraded to a Deore XT long cage rear derailluer and that helped a lot. Mine certainly isn't the only freerad xtra I've seen around. I saw an electric longtail a little while ago with a reasonably big guy piloting and a lady sitting sidesaddle on the back.

At the moment I'm in the process of swapping my xtra over to the back of my Surly LHT to see what it is like mainly. Bikes are in semi-constant state of flux at my place depending on how much time I have to tinker.

If I had the space though and the dollars, I would consider a Gazelle Cabby just because I have two big dogs and I'd like to be able to transport them without using the car. Lots of dollars for that kind of thing though and I haven't seen one in Perth.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Pretty sure i saw one at Ride Advice on milligan, didnt take note of the brand/model :roll:

But if you are near by, would be worth popping in

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:33 pm

On the subject of cargo bikes and Fremantle. Dismantle has one as does Freo Cycle Chic so at least two running around Fremantle.

Andrew