Freeway Bike Hike - Sun 24 March 2013

Iceman

Re: Freeway Bike Hike - Sun 24 March 2013

Postby Iceman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 pm

cheers ramp, sounds much the same as the ocean ride for MS last year....

Bakks, I too was considering riding to the city but have decided to drive in and park up.. see you guys in Mandurah :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Iceman wrote:cheers ramp, sounds much the same as the ocean ride for MS last year....

Bakks, I too was considering riding to the city but have decided to drive in and park up.. see you guys in Mandurah :)
The convenience of trains are free to and from. Check the web site and the riders pack.

http://events.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/ev ... transport/
Full Hike Participants: Special event trains will take participants to Mandurah ready for the 7am Full Hike start. These services will include a mix of express trains from Esplanade to Mandurah as well as trains that stop at nominated stations along the Joondalup and Mandurah lines.
Services for all other start points too. Inthe past they have never been fussy if you take trains others than the special event trains either.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

I will manage my 25,000th km on my main uni while on the hike tomorrow! Worth a coffee afterwards methinks. :mrgreen:

Iceman

Postby Iceman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Geez Col, 25,000k's on a uni probably requires something a bit better than a coffee! ;)

and yeah theres trains but nothing from the midland line so I'll drive into the city and then hook in at the Esplanade :)

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Starting the full hike ride an hour late to "clear cars" despite the freeway having meant to be shut 2 hours earlier and then running into all the "slower" groups with kids - mayhem. What a balls up.

hkgts

Postby hkgts » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:53 pm

The late start I can handle, but it was down right dangerous mixing 40km/h+ road cyclists with kids on small bikes, I saw a little kid on a 12 inch bmx nearly get cleaned up... I don't blame parents/kids/road cyclists, but the organisers for this.

There was a fair bit of carnage on the roads too, heaps of accidents. Maybe some cycling safety tips in the riders packs next year?

But even with all of that, it was perfect conditions with the right temp, right weather and a nice tailwind.. Thoroughly enjoyed my ride and will do it again for sure.

ramp

Postby ramp » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Evan by their own rubbish standards, the organisers came up with new ways to make this ride more complex. The delayed start, were they bullish*ting us about waiting for the trains (why would you?), if the later reason that the road wasn't clear was correct then why not? I am sure old mate trying to sleep off the night before in the back of his car in the middle of the fast holding bay was wishing we would all get moving.

Once the release was made, why announce that everyone, all groups, had to go now and open the fence to put the slow group out before the faster riders? After we finally got to the freeway is was a great ride, perfect conditions until Bull Creek and then it was a game of dodgem with kids and parents weaving all over the track. I did see on kid brought down by a hybrid, I think ended OK but there was real danger in the last few k's.

Hope all from here got back safe, saw too many down along the way and stack of people with flats which would reflect the amount of riding in the emergency lane trying to get past the slower riders.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Starting to see all the mornic comments on Facebook and Twitter regarding the freeway being closed. You'd think the world was going to end with the way some people get fired up. Never knew so many people in Perth had important places to be on a Sunday morning. Annoys me how they all take it out on the "bike riders" who are doing something for a good cause.

Poor planning for the Currambine 30km too.

Only one "special" train to get people up there which was packed by the time it got to Whitfords - no one could get on. The next train which was the first service for the day was also packed, but all 100 or so of us managed to squeeze in.

Finally got to Currambine just as the 'slow' group departed....it was like riding a Flintstones bike all way way onto the freeway (too slow to remain clipped in). Yes, I could have ridden to the start, but had my reasons to catch the train.

I felt like a tool weaving about everyone at some speed, but it was just like any given day on the freeway, the slow ones did not keep left.

Given the event gets bigger and bigger every year, the planning is poor - especially the trains and the lack of safety - it really needs to be drilled into people.

MrDerrickC

Postby MrDerrickC » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Didn't see any incidents starting from Kwianna, however heard from friends doing the 70km that there was a big prang.

Spent the first 10mins dodging and weaving out of people as they did not keep left. After that it was a nice clear run with perfect weather. Train in the morning was fine, ended getting the normal train service just before the special service arrived.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:27 pm

I have to agree with the criticisms.

Looking at the number of riders who forked out for RAC shirts, the number of riders who paid entry fees, the other extra cost items like breakfast (is that why we got no juices or celebratory ice cream this year? To "encourage" us to pay for a $30 snack?), pay-up for photos, etc then the amounts collected may run into three times the amount that the intended benificiaries get.

So I think it is fair that we should expect a high standard from all those parties.

As it is we got:
  • As I previously predictred many riders were heading to the wrong start off point (Bull Creek station)
  • Fast riders wound up coming up behind the weakest riding group of all
  • The free cup of water at the end was hidden behind low screens this yeatr - I did two circuits before finding them, and only then because I had knowledge of where it operated last year
  • Not even a lousy free drink - water is for washing in!
  • If there were any of the promised water fill points, then I failed to see any along the 14.5km of the mini-hike from the south.
  • Queer choice of route at Bull Creek and a more difficult to negotiate start
  • As was the case last year, not much awaareness-campaign to get slow and stopped riders to one side and fast riders to the other - three years ago there was some awareness by riders.
  • As per last year the very dangerous expansion joint on Mt Henry bridge was exposed and without any warning. How difficult is it to lay a length of rubber conveyor belt across it for a few hours? Or a couple of marshalls before it. For ch*** sake there are gonna be a couple of thousand riders with 1" or skinnier wheels hitting that at some speed. Skinny wheel riders beware!
In the short distance that I rode saw several cyclists on the side of the road getting attention.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:33 pm

+1 on poor organisation, in particular the start being just mixed and everybody for themselves, what was the point of the different holding stages? Also seems like people didnt know to either keep left or right, specially in the last 15kms :shock:

Saw a lady go down HARD in the first 10 kms, and probably 4 or 5 other groups with one rider looking much worse for wear, hope everyone is ok.

On personal note, improved my time from last year by about 30mins, and avg speed by about 8km/h.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: [*]As per last year the very dangerous expansion joint on Mt Henry bridge was exposed and without any warning. How difficult is it to lay a length of rubber conveyor belt across it for a few hours? Or a couple of marshalls before it. For ch*** sake there are gonna be a couple of thousand riders with 1" or skinnier wheels hitting that at some speed. Skinny wheel riders beware![/list]
OMGosh so true, both my bidons nearly fell out i got jolted that hard.

Oh and i was gonna say gday colin but there were too many little kiddies around i was scared i might hit them if i got distracted for a second :oops:

Iceman

Postby Iceman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 pm

have to agree with all of the above, I got caught up with another rider coming over on me at about the 30k mark... I managed to stay upright but couldn't continue due to a buggered front wheel. (no ones fault really, we were both squeezed and his rear skewer busted a couple of my front spokes) I sat on the side of the freeway for an hour waiting for the rest of the cyclists to trickle past before the recovery truck arrived with a coach to get us back to Langley Park.

On board I got talking to a guy who had driven up from Australind for the ride, he was one of 4 involed in a wipeout at just over 45kph, apart from a huge amount of bark missing from his elbow, hip, hand and calf he and the other 3 walked away (all be it a bit second hand) the casualty of the whole thing was his carbon bike... about all that could be salvaged from the remains was the stem, both brake calipers, the pedals and the seat post, the rest was totalled. the frame was crushed in two places, both whels buckled, bars bent, derallier and cassette smashed, both levers busted... a real mess.

Im thankful I didnt hit the bituman and Im a bit disappointed in the fact that up until the tangle I was flying with an average speed of just over 39.... unless the seeding and start is sorted I'll not be bothering next year.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm

I had a good ride. Saw the usual carnage. Three ambos I counted today. The shoddy start from Mandurah gave plenty of people some sad feelings, but I think most sucked it up and made the best of it they could.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Did the ride for the first time from Mandurah.

Overall pretty good but agree with everyone about the delay then running the groups into everyone. Additionally some of the faster bunches should have exercised a little more care when they could see what was up ahead.

I saw some pretty risky riding to get by some 4 year olds - and it wasn't the kids!! Poor little buggers got swamped - luckily everyone managed to stay upright.

Averaged 40kph but would have been faster except for the traffic.

The bad organisational aspect makes unlikely to do it again - bucket list, done.

donkuok

Postby donkuok » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 am

I agreed all the above. This was pretty bad organised as compared to last year unlike we had free fruits, drinks and ice cream. I did a mini hike with my family. I was a bit worried about my 8 year old son when the fast riders came up fast from behind. They were all travelling at 40kph. The Full Hike should have started at 7am so that fast riders would reach at Langley park before the Mini Hike got started. I believe the person who organised the event must not an exprienced bike rider.

soennecken

Postby soennecken » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 am

The staggered start times were planned to prevent conflict of fast with slow riders. The Mandurah organisers could easily have phoned their Kwinana and Bullcreek counterparts and gotten them to start 45 minutes late as well. After all, we were told at Mandurah that one of the reasons for the delay was to check that the road was clear, "to make sure it is safe". What they did was to increase danger, not improve safety.

Aphexchefpusher

Postby Aphexchefpusher » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54 am

I'm a seasoned roadie and decided to "sedately enjoy" the experience this year and go from Bull Creek with my daughter and her friends/dads...........coming down the off ramp it was impossible to get left due to the sheer volume of bikes coming from the south. The attitude and riding skills of the majority of these riders were shocking, a lot of the kids were wobbling all over the shop and one girl came off on the Mt Henry bridge looking badly hurt, yet a lot of these riders still refused to kill their speed abusing everyone to keep left as they rolled thru', it amazes me that peoples own efforts are more important than children's (some as young as 5/6 safety).........THESE ARE CHILDREN FFS. The organisers apparently have got a lot to answer for , late start from Mandurah?.....Carnage

inline_online

Postby inline_online » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:12 am

Had another great skate this year from Currambine. Smashed last years time by 15min so very happy.
There was plenty of space on the Currambine Hike and I saw no accidents or trouble at all.
Got my photo in Perth Now also...http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 97?page=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a couple of guys on carbon racing bikes stay with me for a bit to offer moral support when my legs started to give way. Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Colin, I missed you at the finish. Not sure what time you got in but I left at about 1020hrs or so.
Hope you had a pleasant ride.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am

I did the 30km from Currumbine with the Mrs, and it was crazy. We took the train from Esplanade to the start and the marshalling area was packed with little or no organisation. The 'fast' group contained parents with kids in trailers, and in baby seats as well as other ~12 year olds. The 'medium' group was let go as soon as the 'fast' group was half clear, and the 'slow' group assembly area was half empty.

It would be seriously worthwhile getting some folks to actually organise the groups and give some folks a reality check and move them into a better area.

Also, the start times made things very hard. I was in the medium group from Currumbine and basically rode into the back of the Stirling group who were doing roughly 10km/h slower and spread out all across the freeway. Maybe some extra traffic cones to siphon the mini hikers to the left for the first 2km would be useful?

Last but not least, how much are those roadworks playing havoc with Riverside drive?

I remember doing the mid hikes from Belmont previously and it being much safer. The organisers need to realise that with greater numbers, a greater emphasis needs to be placed on safety, and courtesy for that matter.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am

inline_online wrote:Got my photo in Perth Now also...
Holy crap... the finish arch feel over?

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

Aphexchefpusher wrote:I'm a seasoned roadie and decided to "sedately enjoy" the experience this year and go from Bull Creek with my daughter and her friends/dads...........coming down the off ramp it was impossible to get left due to the sheer volume of bikes coming from the south. The attitude and riding skills of the majority of these riders were shocking, a lot of the kids were wobbling all over the shop and one girl came off on the Mt Henry bridge looking badly hurt, yet a lot of these riders still refused to kill their speed abusing everyone to keep left as they rolled thru', it amazes me that peoples own efforts are more important than children's (some as young as 5/6 safety).........THESE ARE CHILDREN FFS. The organisers apparently have got a lot to answer for , late start from Mandurah?.....Carnage
I didn't see any keep left "abuse". All the (hundreds) of keep left calls I saw were to give people warning there were faster riders coming up behind.

lowros

Postby lowros » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
  • If there were any of the promised water fill points, then I failed to see any along the 14.5km of the mini-hike from the south.
I did the full hike and saw two. One was near the Roe Highway onramp and the second was around the Como area.

Saw some big stacks and avoided plenty of discarded energy gel wrappers, a few drink bottles and someones mini pump.

Overall I enjoyed the day and managed to avoid injury and flat tyres. Some poor guy got a flat about 100m into the ride :(

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Aphexchefpusher wrote:a lot of these riders still refused to kill their speed abusing everyone to keep left as they rolled thru', it amazes me that peoples own efforts are more important than children's (some as young as 5/6 safety).........THESE ARE CHILDREN FFS.

This event sounds totally crap.

I know it's a good excuse to have a blast up the freeway but, despite how woeful the organisation sounds, it is a participation ride and not a race so in the circumstances presented all these "fast" riders should ride to the conditions and not carry on like arrogant w*nkers. It's not rocket science that flying past little kids is a recipe for disaster and it's not like your palmarès will suffer without "Finished 250th in RAC Bike Hike 30km". Sad idiots.

Similarly, knowing the history of these events I will never risk my girls safety at this sort of thing.

mnh86

Postby mnh86 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I rode the full hike in 2hrs 5 minutes.

I was at the back of the medium group waiting to leave the station when half of them turned around broke out through the bus entrance, the organisers did nothing to stop it either, I stayed in line and ended up passing most of them a long the way.

Avoided the far left and the emergency lanes where I could and stayed mostly in the car tyre lines to avoid debris (I assume there's not as much debris along there?)

Had no problems with the start time other than turning up on time and having to wait an hour and a half. It worked out well for me because by the time I got to Mt Henry most of the mid and mini hikers were well dispersed and keeping left etc.

Might go in the back end of the fast pack next year so I don't have to worry about navigating through the hundreds of take it easy riders who left the station before me.