Powder choices

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Red Rider

Powder choices

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm wheying up (SWIDT?) the choice between a powder that has 90% whey protein isolates (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard), and another that has just under 50% of protein blend but high in carbohydrates and fat (CytoSport Muscle Milk). They are obviously formulated for different needs/tasks. What should I consider when choosing? Is there a benefit to both depending on time of day or training period?

And if you have any experience with them, what's the nicest/best flavour? :P

At the moment I'm just using up the Mrs female branded powder as she doesn't like it (FYI Maxine's Burn Choc Latte tastes good :P )

MarkG

Re: Powder choices

Postby MarkG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been using ON products from when I started bodybuilding in the 90s and swear by Gold Standard Whey.
SuppsRus.com.au can help :grin:

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Whey protein powders quickly put dead weight on you in the form of water retention, bloat, inflammation from the whey isolate, bovine growth hormones etc. Not sure that is what you want as a cyclist wishing to climb faster.

The notion that we need to consume more protein on our already excessively high protein diets is nothing more than marketing hype.

So to answer your question as a gun climber, I would say the only powders to be consumed would be pure organic sugar mixed with water.

Spiking your insulin like growth factor (IGF1) levels with whey protein is linked to cancer growth. Look it up.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

durianrider wrote:So to answer your question as a gun climber, I would say the only powders to be consumed would be pure organic sugar mixed with water.
Way to go, get on a sugar high and die in the arse quicker than you can poke a stick in your eye! :roll:

Foo

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 pm

See if you can debunk this medical doctor of many decades. He promotes a high carb diet aka high sugar to reverse type 2 diabetes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQzM2IA-qU

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 pm

durianrider wrote:Whey protein powders quickly put dead weight on you in the form of water retention, bloat, inflammation from the whey isolate, bovine growth hormones etc. Not sure that is what you want as a cyclist wishing to climb faster.

The notion that we need to consume more protein on our already excessively high protein diets is nothing more than marketing hype.

So to answer your question as a gun climber, I would say the only powders to be consumed would be pure organic sugar mixed with water.

Spiking your insulin like growth factor (IGF1) levels with whey protein is linked to cancer growth. Look it up.
In all the years I've taken WPI or WPC I've never experienced that ever...

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:15 am

I'm taking my advice from the AIS.
Prolonged and high-intensity exercise causes a substantial breakdown of muscle protein. During the recovery phase there is a reduction in catabolic (breakdown) processes and a gradual increase in anabolic (building) processes, which continues for at least 24 hours after exercise. Recent research has shown that early intake after exercise (within the first hour) of essential amino acids from good quality protein foods helps to promote the increase in protein rebuilding. Consuming food sources of protein in meals and snacks after this “window of opportunity” will further promote protein synthesis, though rate at which it occurs is less.
Though research is continuing into the optimal type (e.g. casein Vs whey), timing and amount of protein needed to maximise the desired adaptation from the training stimulus, most agree that both resistance and endurance athletes will benefit from consuming 15-25g of high quality protein in the first hour after exercise. Adding a source of carbohydrate to this post exercise snack will further enhance the training adaptation by reducing the degree of muscle protein breakdown.
So I guess it doesn't matter which powder I have as long as it is high quality and I consume some carbs in or out of the powder. I tend to get very hungry during the day.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:54 pm

MarkG wrote:
durianrider wrote:Whey protein powders quickly put dead weight on you in the form of water retention, bloat, inflammation from the whey isolate, bovine growth hormones etc. Not sure that is what you want as a cyclist wishing to climb faster.

In all the years I've taken WPI or WPC I've never experienced that ever...
Have you tested your insulin or IGF-1 levels? What were they and how long ago was that?

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Red Rider wrote:I'm taking my advice from the AIS.
Prolonged and high-intensity exercise causes a substantial breakdown of muscle protein. During the recovery phase there is a reduction in catabolic (breakdown) processes and a gradual increase in anabolic (building) processes, which continues for at least 24 hours after exercise. Recent research has shown that early intake after exercise (within the first hour) of essential amino acids from good quality protein foods helps to promote the increase in protein rebuilding. Consuming food sources of protein in meals and snacks after this “window of opportunity” will further promote protein synthesis, though rate at which it occurs is less.
Though research is continuing into the optimal type (e.g. casein Vs whey), timing and amount of protein needed to maximise the desired adaptation from the training stimulus, most agree that both resistance and endurance athletes will benefit from consuming 15-25g of high quality protein in the first hour after exercise. Adding a source of carbohydrate to this post exercise snack will further enhance the training adaptation by reducing the degree of muscle protein breakdown.
So I guess it doesn't matter which powder I have as long as it is high quality and I consume some carbs in or out of the powder. I tend to get very hungry during the day.
I remember being at the AIS in 2001 for testing. They had the nutritionists write up programmes for us. I wasnt vegan back then but was not far off. An overweight AIS nutritionist gave me grief for eating too much watermelon at lunch once. I looked them up and down and said 'your giving me nutritional advice yeah?'. They didnt like that but there was nothing they could do. No wonder I saw so many eating disorders during my time at the AIS. Was surprising seeing top level athletes smoking cigarettes as an appetite surpressor and then just using salbutamol to buffer the negative performance effects of smoking on the lungs.

#Whey powder is literally an industrial waste product from the cheese industry aka curds and whey separation. Look it up. Whey is also linked to a variety of potential health issues. http://www.notmilk.com/whey.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Red Rider wrote:
Have you thought of eating actual, you know, food? Did you know that meat and fish are high in protein?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am

ausrandoman wrote:Have you thought of eating actual, you know, food?
+1

Food can be quite good when done right.

It's your agricultural byproducts, promoted and sold as "protein supplements", that can turn out to be quite nasty.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 am

ausrandoman wrote:
Red Rider wrote:
Have you thought of eating actual, you know, food? Did you know that meat and fish are high in protein?
Not enough protein without stupid amounts for me, ie. 600gm/day/Kangaroo or 900/gm/day Turkey.

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 pm

durianrider wrote:Spiking your insulin like growth factor (IGF1) levels with whey protein is linked to cancer growth. Look it up.
O.K. - sources? IGF-1 deficiency is linked to protein deficiency, and levels of IGF-1 in the liver is linked to casein, but where is the science behind whey protein -> IGF-1?

Sent from my iThingy...