Winter & Rain jackets

jamesn184

Winter & Rain jackets

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:08 am

I'm looking for a better jacket for this winter and for when it rains.
So far I'm looking at these 2
http://www.this link is broken/sportful-fiandr ... cket-2012/
http://www.probikekit.com/au/castelli-g ... ersey.html

Also another plus would be something that covers the lower back as I no longer want a "soggy ass" when riding in the rain -_- my budget can only stretch to $220

RonK

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 am

Topic discussed at some length here only last week. Get the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 on closeout at bicycling.hub

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am

Yes, I saw that topic but none of the jackets I'm looking at were discussed :)
let me clarify a bit, I'm after a rain jacket that isn't just a "soft shell" as I'd like to be warmer then your normal soft shell offering (which I already have anyway)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:18 pm

The Elite 2.0 is no 'soft-shell'. It's a regular solid shell rain jacket, very waterproof and totally wind-proof. If you want to be wamer just wear suitable clothing layers under it.

If it's a womens jacket you're after then Showerspass have the Elite 2.0 womens on special at $150 plus shipping. My wife's cost me $A195 just 10 days ago.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I use a Cannondale Morphis jacket for its easily removed / reapplied arms. Whilst not the most breathable item, I haven't even considered replacing it since purchase.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Yes, I saw that topic but none of the jackets I'm looking at were discussed :)
let me clarify a bit, I'm after a rain jacket that isn't just a "soft shell" as I'd like to be warmer then your normal soft shell offering (which I already have anyway)
Sorry, I assumed you wanted recommendations for the best rain jacket. I would not consider either of the items you have posted to be rain jackets. Shower resistant perhaps.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 pm

RonK wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:Yes, I saw that topic but none of the jackets I'm looking at were discussed :)
Sorry, I assumed you wanted recommendations for the best rain jacket. I would not consider either of the items you have posted to be rain jackets. Shower resistant perhaps.
The Sportful jacket is waterproof by the looks of it, the gabba does eventually let some water in after a while?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 pm

BikeRadar wrote:A harder wearing cycling jacket than the BodyFit Pro, the Fiandre is again ideal for cold, dry conditions but has a NoRain fabric on the back where it’s needed most. Windstopper 4-Way Warm and 4-Way Light fabrics should keep you warm without neglecting breathability
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... -in-32617/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sportful wrote:Two GORE WINDSTOPER fabrics are used on the frontal panels of the jacket, a combination of 4 WAY WARM and 4 WAY LIGHT. The two fabrics, different in weight / warmth are strategically positioned to ensure the right balance between warmth and overheating.
http://www.sportful.it/blog/?p=1304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm..... sounds warm, will even keep the wind out. Waterproof? I would not rely on it :| Gore Windstopper is what it says ie. not waterproof.

It'd be nice to see some real water-head pressure data to be able to compare. I have seen this for the eVent fabric used in the Elite 2.0 and it is very impressive.

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Ok finally worked out how to attach youtube.

I've been looking at the gabba too can't find a lot of reviews on it though. Kinda want something that isn't loose and doesn't flap about.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 pm

having a look at my wish list on wiggle I forgot about these
http://www.this link is broken/castelli-confro ... of-jacket/
http://www.this link is broken/sportful-surviv ... er-jacket/ - would be a little bit of a stretch budget wise

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Purt wrote:Ok finally worked out how to attach youtube.

I've been looking at the gabba too can't find a lot of reviews on it though. Kinda want something that isn't loose and doesn't flap about.

Its been mentioned that with the last couple of spring classics even the guys who weren't sponsored by castelli were wearing the gabba

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

jamesn184 wrote: Its been mentioned that with the last couple of spring classics even the guys who weren't sponsored by castelli were wearing the gabba
Yeah I saw opqs and a few sky riders with it at milan-san remo. Guess that's the best review a clothing company could want.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Think some of the OGE boys were using them to.. dead give away is the "all black"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Purt wrote:Ok finally worked out how to attach youtube.

OK it's breathable. And stops some water. The eVent farbric is similarly breathable (there are measures that can be done for this).

But the water protecton...... it's more than just stopping 80mm of water-head (that's about all they showed).... for a few minutes. Standard quality rain jackets have a water-head of about 5,000-8,000mm. Really good waterproof fabrics are about 10,000mm of water-head. eVent has a water-head of 30,000mm - that's a glass of water 30m high over the fabric - for 24hrs :o (I think they get this measure by pressurising the 'glass'). So how does that Gabba rate??

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advi ... rproofing-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Water Column Test /Hydrostatic Head Test
This is a test in which a tube of water 1" in diameter is filled with water.
The fabric is held taut underneath this (sealed) column of water.
This is then tested over 24 hours to see how many millimeters of water the fabric can withstand before leaking.
When the fabric begins to seep water, the mm is noted as a score, and this is known as the ‘hydrostatic head’ which literally means:

Hydro –Water
Static – Not moving
Head – Height

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 pm

il padrone wrote:But the water protecton...... it's more than just stopping 80mm of water-head (that's about all they showed).... for a few minutes. Standard quality rain jackets have a water-head of about 5,000-8,000mm. Really good waterproof fabrics are about 10,000mm of water-head. eVent has a water-head of 30,000mm - that's a glass of water 30m high over the fabric - for 24hrs :o (I think they get this measure by pressurising the 'glass'). So how does that Gabba rate??
I think of the gabba more of a jersey than a jacket. So obviously it's not going to be as good as a jacket at keeping water out. You've got to make some sacrifices when getting a skin tight fitting jersey instead of a full fledged winter/rain ill fitting jacket.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Buy once and buy right.
Heres another vote for the Showers Pass Elite 2.0
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/shpaelraja.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck with the decision making. :)

Update:
It appears there is now a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which is of course a little dearer than the 2.0
I'll have to do some reading to see whats been updated or upgraded.
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/showers-pas ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Whats the cut like on the shower pass? I don't want something that's going to be flapping about :)

toofat

Postby toofat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

it boes not flap about, but its not body hugging either, designed to have layers underneath
depends on your type of riding if you are doing flat out 50km group rides with a few sprints you will end up a bit damp inside and the showerpass jersey would be better
if brisk commuting the elite2,0 will see you arrive warm and dry

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 pm

toofat wrote:it boes not flap about, but its not body hugging either, designed to have layers underneath
depends on your type of riding if you are doing flat out 50km group rides with a few sprints you will end up a bit damp inside and the showerpass jersey would be better
It would be used for training rides (usually around 100km+) and commuting 25km each way to work, but in he end I want something that will have a "hugging fit"

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Whats the cut like on the shower pass? I don't want something that's going to be flapping about :)
Roomy on me (but I'm a skinny guy), loose fit but flapping is not a concern. Short at the front, long at the back, Excellent venting with pit-zips, velcro cuffs and the shoulder vent. These jackets are commonly used by Audax riders who are doing 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1000km endurance rides. If it rains on the ride, they are out all day and more in it.

A "hugging fit" may be good for the Pro-team look, however it is less likely to keep you dry as well. It will not allow very much flow-through ventilation. The water-proofing of a cycling jacket used for moderate exertion depends on three things:

1. Waterproof fabric,
2. Breathability of the fabric, and
3. Design and cut of the jacket.

'Breathablility' will never keep you dry on the exertion of a 10km mountain climb, you will get sweaty. The design, with room for air flow and suitable vents, will help to reduce this. You will still get somewhat damp. Breathable fabric allows you to dry out over time when you slow the exertion down and body heat helps to push vapour out of the jacket. Jackets that have low or no breathability just leave you wet all day - in critical conditions this will place you at great risk of hypothermia.

Pro-team riders just put up with it and sling the newspaper down their jersey for some more windproofing. They are only out for 4-5 hours and riding at high exertion the whole time. Maybe that's your typical 100km ride - 30kmh+ speeds, non-stop, then home for a bath. Myself I do all sorts of riding, but often they are longer duration tours with stops for regrouping, sightseeing, lunch in a cafe, etc. I ride hard then stop for a break, then ride on. In the rain, it's important to be able to dry off during a break, rather than get the shivers and shakes.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

rifraf wrote:Update:
It appears there is now a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which is of course a little dearer than the 2.0
I'll have to do some reading to see whats been updated or upgraded.
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/showers-pas ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As far as I can tell from their description, it seems that it has just been given a draught flap behind the main zip. Kinda silly as the zip is already waterproof and never gives me the hint of a draught. I won't be bothering to upgrade, until my current jacket expires.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

il padrone wrote: As far as I can tell from their description, it seems that it has just been given a draught flap behind the main zip. Kinda silly as the zip is already waterproof and never gives me the hint of a draught. I won't be bothering to upgrade, until my current jacket expires.
Nor I, as I'm very happy with it. Wish it had been $199 when I bought mine though. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 pm

jamesn184 wrote:
toofat wrote:it boes not flap about, but its not body hugging either, designed to have layers underneath
It would be used for training rides (usually around 100km+) and commuting 25km each way to work, but in he end I want something that will have a "hugging fit"
From memory the advice was to grab the helmet cover:
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/showers-pas ... cover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but unless your wanting to tour maybe pass on the accessory hood:
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/shpaho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally if I was buying again, and especially at that price (199.00), I'd also grab the hood to take avantage of
the free shipping (over $250 spend).

If you wanted to know about helmet cover size I can offer that the cover is ample for my Giro Ionus size L.

Purt

Postby Purt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:41 pm

RonK wrote:Topic discussed at some length here only last week. Get the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 on closeout at bicycling.hub
Why not just buy from showers pass? $203 including delivery.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/clos ... s-elite-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Oooh they're back in stock now :D

If you want it grab one. The new 2.1 is $240.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.