Looking for a set of mudguards for apollo peleton 2011

nuttzo32

Looking for a set of mudguards for apollo peleton 2011

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 pm

As winter is approaching i am looking at getting a set of mudguards for this bike http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes11/raceline/peleton but some of them seem fiddly to set up.Can someone recommend me a pair that are easy to fit and take off preferably one with elastic or an easy fastening system.

Red Rider

Re: Looking for a set of mudguards for apollo peleton 2011

Postby Red Rider » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am

Funny you should mention this, I just put mine back on tonight for winter. I have some Crud Roadracer MkII, they are really good for road bikes but take about 15 minutes to put on if you do it regularly, provided you leave the fasteners on the stays/forks. Since they are so sleek and unobtrusive I leave them on over winter. They are fiddly to do first time though, after that, it's a cinch.

It's pouring down at the moment, so I'm looking forward to using them in the morning :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am

Don't get the SKS ones. Little rubber pads are too small, water and grit and vibration means they eat through the paint and let them slip. I ended up cutting up old tubes to cover the whole length, but slipping/rubbing on the tyre was always a hassle, and the front was too short to keep water off the feet. Got binned in the end. I use a cross bike for rain now with full guards from a hybrid, works a treat.

Sent from my iThingy...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 am

Red Rider wrote:Funny you should mention this, I just put mine back on tonight for winter. I have some Crud Roadracer MkII, they are really good for road bikes but take about 15 minutes to put on if you do it regularly, provided you leave the fasteners on the stays/forks. Since they are so sleek and unobtrusive I leave them on over winter. They are fiddly to do first time though, after that, it's a cinch.

It's pouring down at the moment, so I'm looking forward to using them in the morning :)
How do you do that? I just leave my Roadracer MkIIs on all the time but one of the reasons why I do so is that I didn't think it'd be a quick job to take off and on (because it wasn't quick to instal them the first time!).

Oh, and I've had my Cruds on since June or July last year. Absolutely no problems with them and they're still going strong (and have been on that entire time).

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am

Another vote for Crudracers. They fit just about any road bike, although they will be tight for tyres greater than 25mm. They really aren't hard to fit, and can be taken off in about 15 mins - although there really isn't a need to, as they weigh next to nothing, don't rattle, and don't look bad at all.

I did have the front one off for a while recently, after a stick flicked up into the front wheel and got caught between the spokes and one of the stays. The stays did their job and came apart without jamming the wheel (good) and without breaking (also good), but the flexing did crack the rear mudguard section. Easily fixed with a little epoxy glue. While it didn't rain while the mudguard was off, I did notice that quite a bit of grit and dust accumulated on the frame that hadn't been there before.

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Ended up ordering the crud roadracer mk 2's, i will probably just leave them on all the time once i have gotten them right, thanks for the responses everybody.