Gemini Randonneur

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm

drubie wrote: so if you're comfortable using a quick link then go that way.
The quicklink is already on the bench!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

I put them on the chains thoglette, but that's just me :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur update

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 31, 2012 3:38 pm

drubie wrote:I put them on the chains thoglette, but that's just me :lol:
Done!

Getting there, need to change the rear derailleur to something with much more capacity. I'm having a little trouble getting the stem to grip tightly on the bars - one of the shimano 600/durace "hidden" stems. Pretty but annoying right now. Pedals are ring ins to allow me to check the shifting etc. Still to add rack, bartape and ights/reflectors.

Yes, shiny metal guards would be much prettier but there's none in the shed

singlespeedscott

Gemini Randonneur

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 pm

What's going on with the angle of that saddle?

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu May 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Are the bars 25.4mm while the stem has a 26.0mm clamp? You can buy shims for that, or make your own.

Looks like a nice bike.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:42 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What's going on with the angle of that saddle?
Just something to ride up and down the street adjusting various cables. A bit like the peddles. That saddle will be replaced my favourite (which is currently on the commuter) when the bike is ready
WestcoastPete wrote:Are the bars 25.4mm while the stem has a 26.0mm clamp? You can buy shims for that, or make your own. Looks like a nice bike.
I'll check. It's more likely to be "Italian" vs "Cinelli" (0.4 mm) but I'd presumed a shimano stem would have been "Italian" (26.0)

bennett

Postby bennett » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04 pm

xerlex wrote:Cheers. I'll be keeping an eye out for a pair.

There is one of these guys on ebay right now (not mine). $100 BIN in Melbourne if anyone is chasing one.
I bought a Gemini for my sister, they're such a great bike.
It also came with those pedals....

Greed

Postby Greed » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 pm

hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you could give me a little information on the gemini i picked up at an auction for around $60.
the bike was is pretty good condition when i got it, all i had to do was put some new tires on and it ran pretty well.
From doing a bit of research i believe it is Gemini Randonneur but unfortunately the type of gemini has been rubbed off/fadded so im not 100% sure.
The bike has friction gearing and shimano 600 over the whole thing, from the seatpost to the cranks ect...

Not looking at selling the bike becuase i like it so much but i was wondering how much it would be worth if i sold it today?
how much would it have cost in its day
how old do you think the bike is?
and if anyone could set me up with a couple of links on the bike that would be fantastic
iv searched through the forum and found some information i just want to know a little more.

here a link to a couple of photos i took of it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89623107@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks guys

LG

Postby LG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 pm

That's not a gemini randonneur, that would most likely be a gemini 'club' from the early 80s. I had one kitted out the same for a while. Nice reasonable quality bikes. I'd guess maybe $200 + or - if you were trying to sell it whole, you'd get more if you stripped the parts and sold separately.
LG = Low Gear

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur update

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Now with shiny guards

silverneedle

Postby silverneedle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:01 am

I just rebuilt this over christmas its a Gemini world randoneur, bought it in Oxford England with all parts knackered but a good frame and forks. Replaced everything with bits from other bikes. It weighs just over 25lbs now and rides really well. Derailur now sorted btw. Id like to know what year it was made and what brand if any are the Cromo tubes likely to be. Im planning to use it as a commuter, town and tow path bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26289390@N06/8322316767/

Thoglette

My neighbour killed it!

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Thoglette wrote:Now with shiny guards
About 25 meters from home, neighbor watching kids on other side of road drove up wrong side of street (to avoid kids). So I headed for the verge. But then they turned right into their driveway. And killed my Gemini!
Anyone got a spare set of forks? :cry:

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:29 am

:( that sucks, dude. i don't have anything useful.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 am

Thoglette, are you okay - how did you fare?

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 am

Crap!

Glad you're OK (presumably), but that poor old bike...

Surly Cross Check forks might work, but might be a bit short methinks.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 am

feelthewheel wrote:Thoglette, are you okay - how did you fare?
Suprisingly OK - in retrospect I probably almost stopped before the collision - perhaps 15kph.

Fortunately I sailed cleanly over the bonnet and landed on my back on the lawn behind, bike following (just managed to stop it landing on me!). It would have looked spectacular!

Sore left knee (where I hit their car) and some bark off the right elbow. A few other general aches and pains (like where the glasses in my jersey pocket broke). I'll go and get checked up at the GP anyhow.

Also in retrospect, perhaps better that I was on the bike than in the car - would still be flummoxed by their driving. And the ensuing accident would have involved a lot more energy - blown air bags and bumpers; likely major structural damage to both cars. And probably injuries to "the others".

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Good to hear you are (apart from a few sore parts) okay. I once plowed straight into an unthinking car drivers door (when they opened it without looking), so I can relate!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Surly Cross Check forks might work, but might be a bit short methinks.
Hmm - getting 1" threaded forks with cantilever brake bosses for 700C/27" wheels is going to be tough.

I've got some NOS double eyeletted 27" forks somewhere. It would mean a change back to "conventional" caliper brakes but that's not a bad thing with the campy brifters if it means I can fit Dual-pivot side-pull calliper brakes.

Or perhaps it's time to go disc?

(ps - Doc confirmed my suspicions (and dealt with some skin cancers) that nothing's broke. )

morini

Postby morini » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 pm

I just remembered I was given a set of chromed canti brake forks with a bike I bought a few years ago. Fork tube length is 190. I can't tell if they're 700C or 27. Put a wheel in? Let me know, you can have them by the way.

Think I've got some of those wacky Adamas pedals as well.

Chris

Here it is

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Plenty of Tange canti forks on come up on eBay.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 pm

morini wrote:I just remembered I was given a set of chromed canti brake forks with a bike I bought a few years ago. Fork tube length is 190. I can't tell if they're 700C or 27. Put a wheel in?
Thanks! I'll measure the tube this week end. And see if there's any other damage to the bike. Axle to canti distance will tell you whether the fork is MTB or road, axle to yoke distance tells you how much tyre/mudguard room there is

Thoglette

700C/27 canti fork dimensions

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 pm

For reference, axle c/l to boss c/l is near enough 29cm. About 37.5cm from axle c/l to under the fork crown. Room for 50mm guards. And my steerer is about 185mm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm

I realised I didn't update this. Eventually found some (black) forks. Broke a spoke on the (extremely cheap) rear wheel while sprinting across an intersection - the rim promptly pretzeled (clearly I was channeling toolonglegs- at least in my mind! :-) ). So now running 27" (630) front and back.

Still struggling to get the cantis set up just so - fronts are fine but rears squeak and are weak.

Other incidental damage included a broken shifter paddle and rivet plus one of the top tube cable braze ons is now wonky

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Mines the big brother of post by "verbs and nouns » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 pm" same colour scheme etc

63cm frame is sweet as, it makes a great cruiser/shop bike. Deore LX with a triple up front super granny gear. 700 x 32 Maxxis detonators at present, flat bar with SKS Bluemel Reflective Mudguards and rear rack panniers, plenty of heel to pannier clearance. No Frame Material Sticker, had thought it plain gauge CrMo rather than Butted.

Have some Vittoria Cross XG Pro 700 x 32's & some Panaracer Cross Blaster Cyclocross Tyre 700 x 31's to try out on fire trails if they don't go on the Centurion Crosstown that I'm building up as a Warbird imitation for cyclocross racing

IMO as a tourer, the only lacking item on the World Randonneur is no front fork brazeons for low rider front panniers.

Rob

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Thoglette wrote:I realised I didn't update this. Eventually found some (black) forks.
Mismatched tyres, filthy and in need of chain wax. The joyous existance of a commuter bike.