Type of bike and driver's attitude

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Type of bike and driver's attitude

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 am

Does the type of bike you ride and what you wear determine how you get treated on the road?

I ride my flat bar on my commutes with 2 panniers on the side and 90% of drivers out there are polite to me. I wonder if I road my roadie with backpack if that attitude changes? Also if we're in our tights, does it change things as opposed to work clothes (generally I see those that have come from the workshop/warehouse apparel riding).

silentbutdeadly

Re: Type of bike and driver's attitude

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 am

No. I get treated with the same level of respect, caution, fear, love and loathing regardless of what I happen to be riding at the time.

What does seem to make a difference is whether I'm lit up like a Stealth Bomber or the MCG...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 am

The only time I notice a change of attitude is when I am towing the kid trailer,in terms of bohth patience in waiting until it is safe to pass and in completely changing lanes to overtake. I can only speculate that some drivers are of the view that it is ok to endager the life of a cyclist, but there may be consequences for running over a child :roll:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

find_bruce wrote:The only time I notice a change of attitude is when I am towing the kid trailer,in terms of bohth patience in waiting until it is safe to pass and in completely changing lanes to overtake. I can only speculate that some drivers are of the view that it is ok to endager the life of a cyclist, but there may be consequences for running over a child :roll:
+1 to this, except it's when I have a baby seat on the back. I remember a yehuda moon cartoon about exactly that but I'm too lazy to find it :roll:

Edit: Got over my fit of lazy...
Last edited by Ozkaban on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am

find_bruce wrote:The only time I notice a change of attitude is when I am towing the kid trailer,in terms of bohth patience in waiting until it is safe to pass and in completely changing lanes to overtake. I can only speculate that some drivers are of the view that it is ok to endager the life of a cyclist, but there may be consequences for running over a child :roll:
I suspect its the same thing with those kiddie seats on the back.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

Ozkaban wrote:+1 to this, except it's when I have a baby seat on the back. I remember a yehuda moon cartoon about exactly that but I'm too lazy to find it :roll:

Edit: Got over my fit of lazy...
Jeez you really need to work on your laziness if you can't sustain it for more than 2 minutes at a time :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am

Nope - makes no difference whether I'm in full lycra on my CF roadie or on my touring bike in touring gear. Most motorists are courteous and considerate, with only the rare bogan feeling heroic...

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

find_bruce wrote: Jeez you really need to work on your laziness if you can't sustain it for more than 2 minutes at a time :D
Possibly :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Actually, I thought "How hard can it be to actually find the image". I've struggled with finding old yehuda cartoons before but the Google-fu was strong today...