How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 am

Entertaining ride back along the Main Yarra Trail yesterday afternoon.
First, a couple of peds with a difference (quadrupeds with their bipedal handlers :D):

and then dad's taxi homeward bound after the school run.

Had a quick chat - he rides through to Heidelberg West (I encountered him near Abbottsford on the MYT) and the electric assist on the bike works well for him for the distance.
Would be great if there were more parents opting for this mode of school run.
Quickish ride in this morning, great conditions in Melbourne today.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 am

I saw a lady cyclist with the same rainbow handbag that I have strapped to her rear rack basket. I told her I had the same bag and that I loved it! She laughed. :lol: (Made from recycled PET bottles too for all those enviro-conscious people.)

Everyone behaved themselves on the morning commute today, which was nice. The showers/changerooms at the office building were busy though so I had to have my sparrow bath and change in a toilet. Oh well.
TailWind wrote:Entertaining ride back along the Main Yarra Trail yesterday afternoon.
First, a couple of peds with a difference (quadrupeds with their bipedal handlers :D):
Was that near the Collingwood Children's Farm? They definitely have a gray horse and a donkey. If I knew I could ride along the MYT on my horse I'd take over (ie. steal :lol:) a paddock at the CCF and live in paradise! Would be interesting getting him up and down the Gipps Street stairs though.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 am

You and your rainbows Summer.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 am

Pleasant but damn dark. Ay-Ups are away being upgraded so I only can the 10 year Old Petzl Tikka headlamp as forward lighting. Rear lighting is a little 1/2 watt Smart.

Dude in the Land Cruiser just couldn't cope with it. He just had to hit the horn because there was oncoming traffic (which he duly ignored). Poor sod - I buggered up his commute by 0.036 milliseconds...

Otherwise...not cold, no headwind...but can't wait till daylight savings is over.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 am

Dan wrote:You and your rainbows Summer.
They match my unicorns. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am

Summernight wrote:
Dan wrote:You and your rainbows Summer.
They match my unicorns. :lol:

new name - Dora

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 am

Early start today. Very dark and the little blinky didn't help much. Managed to overtake two roadies on my dually MTB, hopefully I gave them a surprise, turned off immediately so they couldn't get me back. Then drafted another rider to use her lights coz there were plenty of ninja pedestrians hiding int he shadows.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 am

bychosis wrote:Early start today. Very dark and the little blinky didn't help much.
PLEASE upgrade your lights :evil:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 am

Perth:

There must be a fun-run or something coming up. I still saw quite a large number of joggers along Riverside Drive - usually a sign of a forthcoming event.

It was our first storm of the year - cold, a bit windy and some chop on the river - southerly winds mostly. But at least not too strong. I think it's back to the back pack with all the necessaries for cold dark wet winter.

But where were all the cyclists? :o You can't let the joggers and jigglers and shuflers and other peds show us up.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Early start today. Very dark and the little blinky didn't help much.
PLEASE upgrade your lights :evil:
In progress. I only ride in the dark a few times a year. Didn't have enough time to mount to helmet this morn. I only ride for a short, street lit section on road and the blinky is enough to warn pedestrians at the speed I rode. 8)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Summernight wrote: Was that near the Collingwood Children's Farm? They definitely have a gray horse and a donkey. If I knew I could ride along the MYT on my horse I'd take over (ie. steal :lol:) a paddock at the CCF and live in paradise! Would be interesting getting him up and down the Gipps Street stairs though.
Yep, about 50m from the Gipps St steps...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote: Was that near the Collingwood Children's Farm? They definitely have a gray horse and a donkey. If I knew I could ride along the MYT on my horse I'd take over (ie. steal :lol:) a paddock at the CCF and live in paradise! Would be interesting getting him up and down the Gipps Street stairs though.
Did they go up? :lol:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Did they go up? :lol:
With those stairs they would have had to be cross-bred with a mountain goat :mrgreen:

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

There must be a fun-run or something coming up. I still saw quite a large number of joggers along Riverside Drive - usually a sign of a forthcoming event.

It was our first storm of the year - cold, a bit windy and some chop on the river - southerly winds mostly. But at least not too strong. I think it's back to the back pack with all the necessaries for cold dark wet winter.

But where were all the cyclists? :o You can't let the joggers and jigglers and shuflers and other peds show us up.
Was a blast heading north on the northern PSP this morning. Very quiet from riders coming the other direction, probably only passed 10 coming south when I normally see up to 100.
That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Pravda wrote: That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?

get newspaper or paper toweling and shove it hard into your shoes as soon as you can - fill the shoes up with it...then repeat around lunchtime with fresh dry stuff....your shoes will be dry by the time you leave work

shoe covers...not much except ring them out as much as possible then hang them up somewhere

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:59 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Pravda wrote: That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?

get newspaper or paper toweling and shove it hard into your shoes as soon as you can - fill the shoes up with it...then repeat around lunchtime with fresh dry stuff....your shoes will be dry by the time you leave work

shoe covers...not much except ring them out as much as possible then hang them up somewhere
yeah - shoe covers keep your feet dry in brissy rain for about 10 minutes.

i have thought about getting a set of the elastic bits they use for lawn mowing that will cover the top of the shoes (trying to find a picture but failing)

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 pm

To be honest I don't so much mind having wet feet, it's the putting my shoes back on wet which I hate.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Pravda wrote:Very quiet from riders coming the other direction, probably only passed 10 coming south when I normally see up to 100.
That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?
Yeah - wear crocs. :mrgreen: Totally uncool.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Pravda wrote:Very quiet from riders coming the other direction, probably only passed 10 coming south when I normally see up to 100.
Yeah - wear crocs. :mrgreen: Totally uncool.

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... delID=9493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Police were pulling over random cars in the busy city traffic for what seemed no reason this afternoon. No problems for me sailing past all that peak hour traffic though. Woohoo!

Managed to get to 37 on the flat with a headwind which was great to see although I blew myself out doing it. Lucky I didn't have far to go. Managed to keep the serious looking racer commuter from passing me too. Yay!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 pm

First proper wet commute in my new office situation - whereby bike has to go in a cage (*sob*) and I can no longer use her as a clothes-horse. I am also smooshed into a "workstation" built to the paperless-office-fantasy specs, ergo no storage space, or for that matter much space of any kind. Do I bleat and moan? Well, maybe a little, but then I adapt and overcome:

It was nearly 3.00pm before anyone noticed :mrgreen:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:17 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

I'm not complaining, some of the best looking joggers I've seen, I thought it had to be a team sport training session for such a large group of fit young women to explain it away =D

I processed an earlier homeward bound video of no significant event from new camera showing sunset on Riverside Drive, the back tracks from onboard stereo didn't get picked up so nice to keep the authenticity of my ride =D

PS: the link

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 am

Lizzy wrote:First proper wet commute in my new office situation - whereby bike has to go in a cage (*sob*) and I can no longer use her as a clothes-horse. I am also smooshed into a "workstation" built to the paperless-office-fantasy specs, ergo no storage space, or for that matter much space of any kind. Do I bleat and moan? Well, maybe a little, but then I adapt and overcome:

It was nearly 3.00pm before anyone noticed :mrgreen:
Nice work-around. Next you'll have built yourself a George Costanza like nap station under there.

Paperless office... Such a w@nk. Good office design encourages movement and studies have shown that getting up and moving to printers and interacting with others in your space is beneficial to all and productivity. Singularly focussing on a computer screen is just stupid.
/architect rant

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 am

clydesmcdale wrote:
...Good office design encourages movement and studies have shown that getting up and moving to printers and interacting with others in your space is beneficial to all and productivity. Singularly focussing on a computer screen is just stupid.
/architect rant
Plus the fact the tactile pen onto paper moment is the actual thinking part.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 am

Early start again (this time so I can go home earlier). Full moon setting and still quite dark. I Fitted my new home made ayup copy to light the way. Worked a treat, but can reality notice the weight on the helmet. Light output is OK, beam seems to spread out too quickly, but its nice and bright up close - not bad for a couple of $5 reject shop torches and 2 li-ion batteries off the internets.