BDO Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2013

Bicycle Qld

BDO Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2013

Postby Bicycle Qld » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 am

One of Bicycle Queensland's most popular events - the BDO Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge - is the perfect conclusion to Bike Week. This year riders can really test themselves on the 100km option, which extends on last year's route, or opt for the shorter 60km 'lite' version. Both distances start and finish at South Bank and include the timed hill climb up Mt Coot-tha. Join thousands of cyclists from all over Australia in this unique ride around Brisbane – entries are open now! http://www.coot-tha.bq.org.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baghwan

Re: BDO Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2013

Postby baghwan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 am

Had no idea it was a 100km this year, was interested in the profile so I threw this together for any interested parties, need to find someone to stay back at South Bank and look after a towel and some clothes this year.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2248740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 am

There should be a baggage tent, its usually a gold coin donation. Check the info pages on their web page.

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I am wondering how to put on the timing chip on the seat post when I had saddle bag loaded with punture kit and misc item blocking the way? I not keen to carry the kit on my jersy as i worried it will came out when i riding around.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 am

Minizian wrote:I am wondering how to put on the timing chip on the seat post when I had saddle bag loaded with punture kit and misc item blocking the way? I not keen to carry the kit on my jersy as i worried it will came out when i riding around.
I guess it depends on your bike & frame size. I pulled my saddle bag as high as it would go, and managed to just fit the timing chip underneath it. As long as you have clearance to the rear wheel you can go lower and wrap it around the seat clamp/seat tube rather than the seat post.

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 am

Well I don't know how I managed to noob it up more, didn't realise my rear wheel was loose, the quick release was just flopping about, only notice till the university, just thought I was coming down with the flu or didn't prepare well enough. Should have realised something was really wrong when I could only manage 20km/h along Kingsford Smith Drive/by-pass. It was a miserable climb up Cootha, just glad I didn't die on the decent.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:53 pm

baghwan wrote:Well I don't know how I managed to noob it up more, didn't realise my rear wheel was loose, the quick release was just flopping about, only notice till the university, just thought I was coming down with the flu or didn't prepare well enough. Should have realised something was really wrong when I could only manage 20km/h along Kingsford Smith Drive/by-pass. It was a miserable climb up Cootha, just glad I didn't die on the decent.
:shock:

I almost carked it myself. Had a sticky gel accident and while going down a hill had my wrist on the bars and was spurting water onto my fingers with the bottle in the other hand. Next thing I know, I'm in deep gravel heading straight for a power pole at 30+kmh. Wheels were buried in the gravel and I wasn't changing direction with steering input (maybe too much?), and realised I was going to hit the pole at speed. Front wheel bit in at the last moment, and I managed to avoid the pole (somehow) while going sideways with both wheels. I still only have one hand at this point (didn't think to drop the bottle :idea: ). Bike gives a zig to one side, a zag to the other and fortunately without highsiding me the next thing its going straight again through lighter gravel. Nearly crapped myself. I think I was very lucky, maybe when I gave up and resigned myself to getting up close and personal with the pole, that was the right thing to do because I then had a bit of control again and managed to swing it around the pole. Dunno how that would have gone down with a twitchier bike. (Giant Defy).

Being a noob, I almost took out another rider by braking unexpectedly at one point. Then down the road somebody did the same thing to me...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 pm

That's why you power to the front :P

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 am

I blown myself half way tru the ride, spent the next few hours in the SAG wagon :oops: . Nearly crashed myself and bringing others down along at the start line :oops: . Manged to go tru the hills along the way before cootha before blown to bits. Did not cycle for 3 month prior to this event so is the cause :oops: . I find that the route along the way was quite hilly compared to the Bris to Gold Coast event.

CRV

Postby CRV » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

Did the 100k ride myself, enjoyed it but found it hard going with the warmer conditions later on. Just putting it out there, what did the rest of you think of the rest stops, what was handed out, and availability of water?? Also I felt that the second rest stop could have been a bit sooner?

richbee

Postby richbee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

Did the 100k ride, possibly overdid it a bit going up the ICB and up Latrobe Terrace 'cos I suffered on Coot-Tha itself, but did top 80km/h on the descent :) Knew I'd overdone it by the time we we got to Graceville, and my biggest mistake was stopping to top up my bottles at the second water stop - started cramping as I got off the bike and knew the last 20k's would be hell...
Speaking of the rest stops, while I ignored the one at ANZAC park, the second would have been better placed somewhere around Oxley or near St Aidens. Maybe since the ride went past Chain Gang they could sponsor a stop at their shop next year - How about it Lan & Paul, bit of publicity for you? Can't complain about the rest stops though, they have whats necessary, water, energy drink and a banana, you can't exactly expect a full service, massage and free energy gels at every one, though it wouldn't do any harm for the organisers to approach Endura to sponsor one...
Finish area could do with a bit better organisation. Every rider should be handed a cup of recovery drink as they finish, and maybe a nice big sign saying "REFILL WATER HERE" above the taps would help a bit too. Noosa Century manage to arrange a free recovery drink and coffee for every finisher, so why not Bicyles Queensland who must have a few decent sponsors?

One last point of critisism, not at BQ but at Brisbane City Council for doing roadworks on Seventeen Mile Rocks at the hospital. Just what were you thinking :x

But enough negativity, well done to BQ for arranging a good ride and for getting enough traffic police out to stop traffic at a few of the busier intersections, and to all the volunteers who were out there on the route. Much appreciated.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Minizian wrote:I blown myself half way tru the ride, spent the next few hours in the SAG wagon :oops: . Nearly crashed myself and bringing others down along at the start line :oops: . Manged to go tru the hills along the way before cootha before blown to bits. Did not cycle for 3 month prior to this event so is the cause :oops: . I find that the route along the way was quite hilly compared to the Bris to Gold Coast event.
3 months prior with no riding? you should not have been out there. the course was hilly, and was always going to be so. you were a danger to yourself and others.

EDIT: the second rest stop was too far. agree that around oxley would have been much better. we were lucky that I live in the centenary suburbs and had organised water and food. it was hot

i thought the course was a good one. it was never going to be a flat course

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 pm

bugger.. can't believe I forgot about this. Although not in the best shape with being away with work and the weather.. :roll:

I see Corey Edmed broke his PB.. what a machine!!!

bprb

Postby bprb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 pm

I thought the marshalling, police and signage etc were first rate, and thought the course was good too. It's a tough one regarding the placement of the breaks — in the past I thought they were maybe a bit close together, but this year I was hanging out for them, which was maybe more the result of the hot day plus my lack of condition. But to be honest there's plenty of opportunity to grab something along the way (something from a shop, or even just water e.g. knowing it was hot, I topped up my water bottles near Brekkie Ck before hitting the ICB, and again at the end of Jindalee Bridge). I thought the break areas were well laid out and well staffed. I normally don't end up eating the snakes & lollies they hand out, but they really hit the spot toward the end yesterday. I think it's good when the ride goes through a new area some may not be familiar with (e.g. the Mt Ommaney loop added this year, and the Gateway path added last year), and hopefully it gets the locals to think about cycling. All up, I really enjoyed the ride, and look forward to the next.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 am

vbplease wrote:I see Corey Edmed broke his PB.. what a machine!!!
and then went and raced A-grade in the arvo

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
He probably just did the climb part after sitting on the trainer at the base for a bit...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:32 pm

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:
He probably just did the climb part after sitting on the trainer at the base for a bit...
just checked - he did ~75kms. race in the arvo was a separate activity

EDIT: where were you sunday Lisa????

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Racing at Crestmead and not climbing Coottha!

I did two races on the weekend, scored my first win on Saturday, finished mid pack on Sunday in the combined b/c race.... but at the expense of closing the lead that you have on me in the race for 12,000 k's

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am

marinmomma wrote:at the expense of closing the lead that you have on me in the race for 12,000 k's
you: 2,989.4km
me: 3,759.0km

but I don't have much riding planned this weekend

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

jasonc wrote:
marinmomma wrote:at the expense of closing the lead that you have on me in the race for 12,000 k's
you: 2,989.4km
me: 3,759.0km

but I don't have much riding planned this weekend
Not sure where you are looking but my Strava has me on 3002.6 for the year.....and I have a reasonable amount of riding planned for the weekend, just not 800ks worth though!!

Sunday is a planned Springbrook/Beechmont/O'Reilly's loop...I may not be walking come Monday :shock: :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 am

marinmomma wrote:Not sure where you are looking but my Strava has me on 3002.6 for the year.....and I have a reasonable amount of riding planned for the weekend, just not 800ks worth though!!

Sunday is a planned Springbrook/Beechmont/O'Reilly's loop...I may not be walking come Monday :shock: :shock:
that'd be your privacy zone me thinks.

good luck with that ride! Am giving myself a couple of weeks away from climbing

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks I'm gonna need all the good luck I can get!

Forgot about the privacy thing, I'd set some warm up rides to private so they don't clutter up other peoples feed.

ray

Postby ray » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am

bprb wrote:I thought the marshalling, police and signage etc were first rate, and thought the course was good too. It's a tough one regarding the placement of the breaks — in the past I thought they were maybe a bit close together, but this year I was hanging out for them, which was maybe more the result of the hot day plus my lack of condition. But to be honest there's plenty of opportunity to grab something along the way (something from a shop, or even just water e.g. knowing it was hot, I topped up my water bottles near Brekkie Ck before hitting the ICB, and again at the end of Jindalee Bridge). I thought the break areas were well laid out and well staffed. I normally don't end up eating the snakes & lollies they hand out, but they really hit the spot toward the end yesterday. I think it's good when the ride goes through a new area some may not be familiar with (e.g. the Mt Ommaney loop added this year, and the Gateway path added last year), and hopefully it gets the locals to think about cycling. All up, I really enjoyed the ride, and look forward to the next.
Agreed! Marshalling, police and signage were great. The rest stops could have been spaced better - didn't we have 3 last year? It was really nice that some residents along the way filled water bottles for riders - I definitely appreciated as I was overheating :) Surprised I found the 100km quite tough as it was unusually hot. We were lucky that we didn't get that freak storm in the afternoon as those twighlight runners faced. I was already cooked before we started - sick during the week, hard ride friday and saturday and skipped breaky as I wasn't feeling the best so self-inflicted 100km of miserably and pain. Will prepare better next year. Worst time ever up coot-tha (3rd time) pretty much stay in a 34-26 until the last 20km of the riverloop.