Freeway Bike Hike - Sun 24 March 2013

hanzao

Re: Freeway Bike Hike - Sun 24 March 2013

Postby hanzao » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 am

RoFlmaTiC wrote:I was one of the faster riders, me and a friend of mine completed the full hike in around an hour and a half.

We did our best to keep single file and spent most of our time on the RHS emergency lane. We formed a decent group which was working well together, signalling etc and so there weren't any hairy moments. We slowed down at the section where all the kids were - some others behind us were weaving through them which wasn't great.

I got the whole ride on my gopro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HALMZln8hFE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does look like there's a little bit of weaving (particularly at the start) but when the video is replayed at normal speeds it's really not that bad.
im going to fess up thats me 4.11.. i was towing the other group and was hoping to get to the back of your group and you gave me a spot (was hoping to be further back).. i was already close to max when i joined.. after a while i just thought i don't want to create a gap so i dropped off.. 4:25.. think it was going up a slight hill, i just thought nah fark it.

found a slightly slower pack around 43kph and was in that front 4 rotation..

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

oh btw why do you ride so close to the cat eyes :S

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 am

All good - I was pretty spent at that point as well as we were sitting on probably 47. The hill took out the RAC jersey guy too, you can see he pops shortly after. Regarding the line - I would prefer to be a little further away from the cats eyes too but given the choice of wind in my face or the back wheel of the rider in front, I choose the second option :P

soennecken

Postby soennecken » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am

I used Sony Action Cam to record the Mandurah event. As Sony acknowledges, the image fogged as the sensor warmed up. The video is 5 times normal speed, so goes for an interminable 23 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOukU4-QKPw I rarely cycle more than 16 km in one go, so was no use at the front of any group. Many thanks to those who helped me get there.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 pm

I had a look at soennecken's foggy video at least up to after the freeway entrance, the 5 minute mark, then spoke to someone who did the ride from Mandurah with the intention of doing a slower, relaxed ride. The video showed a lot of people stopping in the first dozen km, from earlier comments I thought that these were nature breaks, also a lot of slower riders picked up when they should have started behind. The email reply was:

"We passed a lot of people with punctures before they even got onto the freeway. Then many punctures on the freeway as people were riding in the emergency lanes with all the crap.
We were doing on average 23kms so to be pulled off the freeway 17kms from Perth was pretty disappointing considering we paid $75 to do the ride. The organisers just swept the slow riders up on a bus and trucks til they caught up to us. We were the last ones to leave Mandurah because everyone was pushing to get out and accidents were going to happen so we waited.
Was not very happy with the whole event. The police and vollies were very rude when they shut the event down. I got told I could not ride up the offramp to get off the freeway, I should get on the bus. I ended up ignoring them, picking up my bike and walking over the embankment to the offramp. About 6 riders followed me as I lead the way to the bike path which judging from these riders I don't think they knew it was there.
Very rude and disorganised."

With about 2000 riders starting from Mandurah it looks like the organisers had plenty to sweep up in the sag wagons. Would have been a fun job.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:54 pm

I was told today from someone I know and ride with that the major partners who help organise the ride are pointing fingers at Whois at fault and they are thinking of scrapping it next year.

Reason why freeway was not close was people had to get to work at 6am in the morning, there were still traffic south bound.

Still early stages in discussions

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm

3000 riders from Mandurah. If the ride left on time with riders exiting in the correct order it would be fine. The self seeding needs to be honest too.

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Rode the Mandurah-Perth option in the 'middle-of-the-pack'. Turned out to be 'back of the pack' with the mountain bikes.

Had a great time, great advertisement for cycling in Perth.
It is good for people to have a go and find that they can ride 30 kms and enjoy it.

It is also good for drivers to see 10000+ people riding bikes on a major road and saying in effect ' there are options besides driving'. The howls of protest about closing down the freeway in a modern city have dropped from hundreds of irate comments on the West Australian to eight Tweets. That says that more and more of the community are accepting cycling, and non-car activities, as part of life in a modern city.

The numbers of cyclists around the city on the commutes is up hugely, bike queues at many stoplights on cycling routes in the city and more slow and moderate cyclists commuting on clunkers. It is all good and hopeful for the future of non-car transport.

I love the Freeway Bike Hike and The Great Perth Bike Rides. I have been on many and never had any trouble.

Keep them going!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:50 am

When are they going to pick up there signs? This one located on Cedric Street, and 'Freeway closed' ones also spotted at Market St and Powis St.

Maybe there is a current competition to see how long event signs can stay up with BWA's Ride to Work Day (Oct 2012) currently winning the race:
Located at several locations on the PSP including Graham Farmer underpass PSP and Market St PSP. Hope the BWA signs aren't slippery in the wet as I saw one rider this week fall down after going over the white line markers (Market St area).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:10 pm

rolandp wrote:When are they going to pick up there signs? This one located on Cedric Street, and 'Freeway closed' ones also spotted at Market St and Powis St.

Located at several locations on the PSP including Graham Farmer underpass PSP and Market St PSP. Hope the BWA signs aren't slippery in the wet as I saw one rider this week fall down after going over the white line markers (Market St area).
My thoughts in the past but I ride over a couple every day and they don't seem to be a problem. May have been when they were newer though.

From memory they are 2011. Considering how sharp they still look the original work must have been pretty good.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle