The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Summernight

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 am

Are you sure she wasn't legitimately deaf? Such a lack of reaction from a horn or you or anything just screams deaf to me. Extremely stupid too.
Poor bus driver (and you for seeing that).

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:37 am

Obviously I have no way of determining if she was/is deaf, but it makes no difference if she is deaf - she should even be more aware of her surroundings, not less.

Profoundly deaf? Unknown.
Profoundly stupid? Confirmed.

Kev.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:43 am

Or substance affected perhaps.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:44 am

Kev365428 wrote:As I passed her I said, "You're one very lucky girl". Her reaction? Well, there was none. Stoney faced, she just kept on walking.

Kinda makes you wonder.
drugs

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Nah, I don't think so. Didn't have that glazed look in the eyes, or the general lack of self esteem common to most druggies.
Looked like she was on her way to work.

I reckon she just had the "I don't give a flying **** " attitude typical amongst so many people now days.

KEv.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:10 am

Dumb cyclist AND smart clairovoyant drivers, this...

Yesterday morning I was returnig by car from south of Mandurah to Perth along the Mandurah Road. I was held by the red light in the middle lane at the major intersection with Pinjarra Road. That is one of two lanes that go straight ahead. There was a 4wd in the left lane that also is for traffic going ahead. Cars to the right of me were turning right onto Pinjarra Road on the green right-turn light.

I had noticed 3 kids on the island to my right that were waiting to cross the road in front of me. They were perched low on small wheeled BMXs with the seats set ultra low as many kids do. On a hunch I kept an eye on them in case they crossed in front of me when the right turn stopped the right-turning traffic. A perfect storm brewing.

Sure enough, as soon as I got the green one of the kids darted across in front. He would probably not have cleared me if I had not deliberately paused. I think the kid seemed to realise by the time he got in front of me that he had been stupid, but was already committed and so continued the dash. Certainly his mates were surprised.

The amazing thing, and all that saved that kid from being cleaned up, was that the 4wd also held up for a moment or two. If that driver had, instead, been focussed on, say, some kids on the far side with a dog on a leash with his little sister with him waiting also to cross, he would NOT have been prepared for the idiot kid. There would have been a tragedy. Or if he was in a Camry and unable to catch a glimpse over the high bonnet of my RV .

I would be giving that guy a gold star for his attention. Ditto myself. There is no guarantee that next time I or others will be as focused on him. One lucky family on the day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:01 pm

The dumb cyclist on the road-bike who overtook me around midday without giving me any warning he was there. Stupid! :x Okay, made your overtake - good on you. But I could just as easily have gone straight back past you and left you behind. Hope whoever he was, he runs over glass and gets a puncture. Which was the reason I was going so slowly - getting through an area notorious for broken glass. :roll: At 15km/h, you've got a chance of weaving around it. At 40km/h, no chance.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 am

g-boaf wrote:The dumb cyclist on the road-bike who overtook me around midday without giving me any warning he was there. Stupid! :x Okay, made your overtake - good on you. But I could just as easily have gone straight back past you and left you behind. Hope whoever he was, he runs over glass and gets a puncture. Which was the reason I was going so slowly - getting through an area notorious for broken glass. :roll: At 15km/h, you've got a chance of weaving around it. At 40km/h, no chance.
So somebody is dumb for overtaking? Since when do you need to warn another you are overtaking? Sure I've occasionally done that, but it is hardly normal overtaking proceedure. :?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Had a scary view of a ped almost getting cleaned up by a bus yesterday.

The white box represents a bus travelling down a dedicated bus parking bay for the station. This is quite narrow, and the bus has only a metre to spare each side.
The blue circle is a young lady, about 20 y.o. walking in the same direction as the bus on the small median strip that seperates the bus parking bay from the traffic lane.
I'm walking towards the girl and the bus on the same narrow median strip.

As the girl approaches the sign post near the break in the median strip, she steps off the median to her left, with no head check, right in front of the bus. I could see the bus drivers eyes widen from 20-30 metres away. I sort of half yelled "Oi!", and the bus driver slammed on the anchors and hit the horn. I could see the front of the bus dip from the weight transfer, but this stupid girl didn't even break stride, or turn her head to look at the bus. Once she passed the sign post she stepped back onto the median. The total lack of concern on her face was amazing.
As I passed her I said, "You're one very lucky girl". Her reaction? Well, there was none. Stoney faced, she just kept on walking.

Kinda makes you wonder.

Kev.
Brain dead? Just trying to make the rest of the body follow suit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 am

me this morning on the way to work
going up the "ssss'es" just before moggil rd, was riding on the right of a fellow commuter. wasn't looking up. didn't see the cyclist coming from moggil rd direction.
I apologised and will say it again here - sorry!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:28 am

While I was being an obediant cyclist this morning stopped waiting at the red light I saw a woman cross against the red pedestrian light. Then a car started coming and she saw it and started to waddle faster but the car was a bit cheeky and passed close to her (pretty sure he saw her and was just giving her the message that she is supposed to wait until light is green to cross). The driver of the car was an off-duty cop!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 pm

human909 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:The dumb cyclist on the road-bike who overtook me around midday without giving me any warning he was there. Stupid! :x Okay, made your overtake - good on you. But I could just as easily have gone straight back past you and left you behind. Hope whoever he was, he runs over glass and gets a puncture. Which was the reason I was going so slowly - getting through an area notorious for broken glass. :roll: At 15km/h, you've got a chance of weaving around it. At 40km/h, no chance.
So somebody is dumb for overtaking? Since when do you need to warn another you are overtaking? Sure I've occasionally done that, but it is hardly normal overtaking proceedure. :?
Unless you are in a different lane, it's called "common courtesy".

Sent from my iThingy...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 pm

General milling of 7 humans (not pedestrians, not going anywhere) over the shared path this arvo, they had already had at least 2 bikes pass them by getting off onto the grass. I tried to make a point by coasting in (noisy freewheel) then locking up when close. "Please dont' stop on the path". One or two took half a step so I could get through, but didn't get off the path, nor even attempt to.

Naughty me didn't have a bell as I was on the proper off road MTB attempting to get some bush trails in on the way home. Otherwise I might have just about worn out the bell.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

bychosis wrote:Naughty me didn't have a bell as I was on the proper off road MTB attempting to get some bush trails in on the way home. Otherwise I might have just about worn out the bell.
bell required if the MTB land is public property

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 pm

jasonc wrote:bell required if the MTB land is public property
I think not.

Road rules apply to roads... and road-related areas.

Various trails through tracts of Crown Land or parks do not meet this definition.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:13 What is a road related area
(1) A road related area is any of the following—
(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking motor vehicles;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

il padrone wrote:
jasonc wrote:bell required if the MTB land is public property
I think not.

Road rules apply to roads... and road-related areas.

Various trails through tracts of Crown Land or parks do not meet this definition.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:13 What is a road related area
(1) A road related area is any of the following—
(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking motor vehicles;
hmmm. am sure I've read differently for QLD...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 pm

twizzle wrote:
human909 wrote:So somebody is dumb for overtaking? Since when do you need to warn another you are overtaking? Sure I've occasionally done that, but it is hardly normal overtaking proceedure. :?
Unless you are in a different lane, it's called "common courtesy".
I assume g-boaf's overtaker was on a road. I would normally not ring a bell nor announce my passing move to a cyclist on the road. I would however, overtake with appropriate room (probably within a lane in many cases) and this is what I believe is courtesy - sadly a good bit more than the police are willing to enforce. But a required bell-ring...... nup!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Naughty me didn't have a bell as I was on the proper off road MTB attempting to get some bush trails in on the way home. Otherwise I might have just about worn out the bell.
bell required if the MTB land is public property
... and other associated quotes

Commutes this week I have not been in a situation where I needed to ring a bell - this is no excuse really, but if I do see the need for a bell while riding without one it is up to me to stop/go around. My other bikes (3) used for cycleway work have bells. The bell-less MTB is only used sparingly on the cycleway commute and is usually used where no others (riders or peds)are present.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Saw this stupid young guy (teenage maybe early 20s) on a BMX bike sans helmet riding through Canberra CBD at lunchtime on the road (that bit is OK) and a line of cars had stopped to let a heap of pedestrians walk across a pedestrian crossing. BMX star was in too much of a hurry to stop so swerved around the cars on the inside and then swerved through the peds on the crossing at high speed, would of been doing ~40km/h I reckon. Luckily he didn't hit any of them. 5 mins later he was riding back the other way so i don't know where he was off to in such a hurry the first time.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

il padrone wrote:...and hence the "bike lane" on the road just is a huge joke! It is barely 30cm of usable road surface (15cms of bluestone cobbles in the kerb).
Pretty much what i noticed in Adelaide a couple of weeks back. 30cm of spoon-drain and 40cm of useable road. The authorities probably have sufficient hide to count that in their assessment of cycle lane kms magnanimously provided. I'm not so sure that cyclists would be so generous.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:13 pm

human909 wrote:
+1. I am perplexed at what g-boaf is upset about. I am not used to having people warn me that they are passing. And when someone does it seldom adds anything of benefit to my ride or safety. Not too many bother to warn peds either.

As long as people give clearance then the only warnings I need are those that warn of something unexpected that may have repercussions - such as passing on the left maybe. (Which I understand is actually legal in WA, btw.)

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm

I live right next to a shared paths, and not far from a school.

It makes me happy to see how many kids in my neighbourhood ride to school.

But it makes me really friggen annoys me that:

a) none of them know how to use bells, which is problematic because I walk my dog on this shared path, and they give me no warning to get her out of their way. they're putting both themselves and my dog in danger.
b) none of them know how to pass. they invariably go on the grass to the left of you, which is problematic, because as a rider myself, to the left is where I instinctively go at the last minute when i hear them

And worse than both of those relatively minor issues?

That not only are their stupid parents sending them off on their bikes without actually teaching them how to ride them...

But their stupid parents are sending them off without helmets!

I got caught in the school peak hour twice today with a day off work. I was walking the dog at about 8.45 this morning, I was walking to the shop at about 3.20 this afternoon.

I reckon I saw at least a dozen kids on bikes - I saw one of them wearing a helmet.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm

There I was driving yes driving down spearwood ave, spearwood. There is a roundabout and I see a person on a bike coming down the footpath. Next thing I'm aware of is someone reversing HARD out of their driveeway, I'm taking evasive incase they come out onto the road. Just as I come level with the car I see the bike again and BAM into the side of the car.
Both there are at fault. Person on bike should have been on the road and they know that, they were just experimenting on the path toda, never again I suspect. I don't think she will be reversing out of her driveway so fast now... She got one massive shock. Most likey looking left and BAM into drivers door

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

That's the thing that used to scare me shirtless about my son's preference for riding the footpath over the road around our suburb ... eesh! Cars barging out without looking :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Re the unhelmeted kids... is riding a bike on a shared path really that dangerous?
Last edited by trailgumby on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.