WAHCC static display Easter weekend at Northam

hiflange

WAHCC static display Easter weekend at Northam

Postby hiflange » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:40 am

The Western Australian Historical Cycle Club have a static display at the 2013 Avon Valley Vintage Festival this weekend (Easter Sat, Sun and Mon) in Northam.

I haven't been to a WAHCC display yet so I don't know exactly what to expect. I'm taking my Rotrax out to show on Saturday. Should also be an old Peugeot or Gitane on show on Saturday.

Mal Bell and Merv Thompson will be there all three days with their bikes. Mal has an extensive collection of Penny Farthings and other pre safety bicycle designs - all fascinating to see up close.

hiflange

Re: WAHCC static display Easter weekend at Northam

Postby hiflange » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 am

Talking to myself again... :D
We took the train to Northam for the day, first time out through the Avon Valley by rail - I highly recommend it. $38 return journey including $10 bike charge. Bargain. The station is NOT where Google Maps thinks it is, means only 500m to the venue instead of the 3+km I thought it would be.

I didn't count the bikes on display today but it would be close to 30. Three WAHCC members accounted for the bulk of them;

Mal and Myrene Bell have a selection of their pre 1900 collection on display - my faves were a beautifully preserved Rudge Penny Farthing and a very rare tricycle.

Robert Hunt has a collection of popular 70's and 80's machines including a Malvern Star modified by his uncle - 68 tooth chainwheel and three brakes; rear drum supplementing the usual rim brakes. I'm still not sure how the rider managed the three brake levers.

Merv Thompson has some restored kids bikes as well as two Rover Safety Bicycles and a spectacular device from 1881, the name of which I forget. I can tell that the rider is flanked by two large wheels and steering is via a rack and pinion.

If you'd been there today you would have seen my 1956 Rotrax and Tim's 1915 Armstrong. We just did Saturday, the others will be there Sunday and Monday (hats off etc.)
Last edited by hiflange on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 am

Nice one. Any photos?

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 pm

I was a bit slack on the photo front, did shoot a couple though;