The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Aushiker

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 pm

:mrgreen:

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 am

This looks interesting ... a pillow like lantern.

Andrew

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 am

rifraf wrote:Not quite here yet, but I thought this one might interest those not keen for one reason or another to shell out for a dyno-hub:

One-euro device that recharges mobile on the go

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/1624551 ... on-the-go/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BARCELONA (AFP) - A transparent film that costs just one euro to make could bring an end to the anguish of mobile phone users facing the dreaded dead-battery message.

Wysips, a start-up based in Aix-en-Provence, southern France, has developed a photovoltaic film which can be built seamlessly into a mobile phone screen and deliver the joy of life to a flat battery.

At the world's biggest mobile fair in Barcelona, Spain, the gadget was luring interest from handset manufacturers and its inventors said they hoped the first mobiles equipped with the Wysips film will be in stores by the end of this year.

Wysips chief executive Ludovic Deblois showed off a prototype of a smartphone equipped with the film at the Mobile World Congress. By just shining a torch on its screen, the mobile's battery icon showed that it had started to recharge.

"With 10 minutes in the sun you will be able to communicate for two minutes. To recharge completely you will have to expose it for six hours, so our technology is not necessarily for a full recharge but rather for an energy boost for specific applications," Deblois said.

"For example, for security if you have to make an emergency call. So if you arrive at the airport and you have your boarding pass on the mobile you can't have a telephone that runs out of battery so you can just put it in the light and recharge it."

Similarly, the film can get mobile phone users out of a fix when batteries go flat just when the time comes to pay a restaurant bill, or buy a train ticket.

But in developing regions it could be even more important, Deblois said.

"The African continent interests us in terms of market because there are more than 500 million people with a mobile telephone but it is a continent that is only 40 percent electrified, which means people need energy to recharge their telephones," he said.

"And the usage is not the same so the telephone is exposed much more to the sun, so you could even get to complete autonomy of the telephone in that region."

Wysips plans to license the technology to handset manufacturers, who would decide the final price to be paid by consumers. The cost of the film, however, is only about one euro per unit, Deblois said.

After three years of research and development, the prototype is complete and a manufacturing line with a capacity of eight million units is being prepared in Aix-en-Provence to start output in April, he said.

The factory is aimed only at proving that the product can be mass produced, however. Wysips expects handset manufacturers to produce the screens themselves, and it hopes the first such phones will be on the market by the end of 2013.

Later, the new factory will be used to produce similar films for other products. "We are in the midst of developing applications for watches, electronic price tags in supermarkets, and home thermostats," the company chief said.
"There are plenty of other applications."

Hmmmm..... Velomobile body covered in this PV film would be interesting !

I wonder how much it will cost per square metre ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Interesting - with this Noomad Trike Conversion Kit you can quickly convert your bike into a trike.

BTW - this site Practical Cycles has an excellent range of cargo bikes and useful touring accessories like this Hebie 696 Elastomer Steering Stabilizer.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

This looks interesting ... a pillow like lantern.

Andrew
But can it actually be used as a pillow? :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

RonK wrote:Interesting - with this Noomad Trike Conversion Kit you can quickly convert your bike into a trike.
I'd love to know whether this conversion kit has true parallelogram steering (difficult I'd imagine and it doesn't mention it) or just a simple pivot.
RonK wrote:BTW - this site Practical Cycles has an excellent range of cargo bikes and useful touring accessories like this Hebie 696 Elastomer Steering Stabilizer.
Now that looks like it would be of some value to some here, especially those who use dual centre stands and carry front panniers - it looks more robust than those dinky springs that a friend of mine has tried.

Could use it on my wife's bike.

[edit] Looking at this video it does seem to ride and handle quite well. Still can't quite make out the steering design however.

Ah, here is a close-up. Seems to be a simple pivot steer, but it has a tilting mechanism that allows the bike to bank in turns.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 am

If you like a touch of comfort ...

More details at http://www.gizmag.com/tricycle-house-pe ... -rv/26553/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 am

They're breeding :shock:

Oh really. Now where is all the gear and food going to be stored? And enough water fro cooking and a bath? That means at least 100 litres = 100kgs on its own. This is going to be some payload to pedal about. :|

Sorry, just the skeptic in me coming out. :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm

I've always been opposed to using earbuds on the bike, purely on safety grounds. But last year on tour in EnZed I wanted to listen to an audiobook I had purchased from Audible, and since the South Island roads I was travelling carried only light traffic, I decided to try my standard iPhone earbuds. They worked quite well and much to my surprise I could still hear approaching traffic, actually the traffic sometimes drowned out the story, but the Audible app skips back 30 seconds at the touch a button. Having a wire feeding through a buttonhole in my rain jacket was a pita at times though.

Recently I discovered Jaybird Bluebuds, and after baulking at the price several times, I finally ordered a set. I'm glad I did, because they are really good - fantasic sound quality and very convenient with no wires to tangle and catch.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 pm

The Shimano Bikegear catalogue is now available as an iPhone app. (These are the Euro catalogues).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Panniers and saddle bag made out of Cuban ... getting into ultralight country.

Discussion at BackpackingLight.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am

Willyweather.com has probably the most useful presentation of weather information for cycle tourists, and this is now available as an iPhone app available on iTunes

iPad and Android apps are under development.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm

The BOM also has a new Forecast Explorer (http://www.bom.gov.au/forecasts/graphical/public/vic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Not as slick as Willyweather or http://www.yr.no/place/Australia/Victoria/Melbourne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I do like the wind vectors across the whole state.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Busch & Mueller appear to have a new product out.
Many of us are familiar with the E-Werk and its variable voltage/amp output.

It was pointed out to me today that there is what I would describe a product I'd liken to a budget version.
No variable voltage (if I've read right) and the output is USB.
It incorporates a built in cache battery.

The USB-Werk.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&musbwerk.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"For all those who want to send and receive email while cycling, or use GPS, MP3 players and other electronic devices while rolling down the road, we now have the USB-WERK from Busch & Müller. The USB-WERK is wired to your dynamo in parallel with your headlight. Of course you don't need a headlight, but if you do, wire it in parallel with the USB-WERK and you're all set.

An optional extension cable offers the possibility to tap into USB-WERK's energy supply at virtually every spot on the bike. Cable screw connections keep the connections securely water tight. In order to mount the "miniature powerhouse" on the bicycle frame, three differently sized o-rings and cable straps are included.

Some devices, such as many iPhone models, require a constant voltage from the charger. For devices like this, an intermediary or buffer cache battery must be used. The USB-WERK incorporates a cache battery within the housing. There is no need for an additional cache battery."

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Downloa ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$87.24 +P&P here:
http://www.xxcycle.com/dynamo-charger-u ... er,,en.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... duct=38306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.starbike.com/p/Busch-M%FClle ... BW-5253-en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.roseversand.com/article/b--m ... aid:639422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m ... aid:639422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 am

Due to the high interest in the USB-werk and all the comments I imagine non of you will be in any way wanting to hear about my finding a competition with a Helinox chair as the prize.

Oh all right then :roll:
Comment on this blog for your chance to win.

http://www.inspirationoutdoors.com.au/1 ... o-win.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:31 pm

This is written in the context of bushwalking but I can see it being handy for bicycle touring a well. Download links in the about section on YouTube.

Andrew

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 pm

With winter almost upon us ... do you get cold at night?

The flexible platypus style water bottles make good hot water bottles to warm up the sleeping bag and the water remains fine for the next morning ... and in the morning you'll not be slowly heating up freezing water or slowly melting ice.

I've a 1lt Katmandu flexible bottle as my water bottle. With fingernail clippers I (ever so slightly) trimmed the sharper corners of the welds and then gave the edges a light wet sanding with 400 wet-n-dry.

Stay warm, but not scalding hot and stay dry ... by squeezing all of the air out of your Platypus when you fill it or in my case, a Katmandu Hydration Flexi-Bottle.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Wazza, my wife uses a Nalgene bottle for a hottie in the Himalaya. I'm a warm sleeper and don't need one.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm

G'day Ron. I was reminded of the hot water bottle thing while I was reading about snow in the Barrington Tops, slowing down a couple of MTBers, who were on the BNT. They were struggling to heat water while waiting for the sun to painfully creep towards their campsite. Everything on their bikes, including the mud and the suspension was frozen stiff too.

Unfortunately my 1lt Nalgene bottle leaks but the Flexi-Bottle doesn't, hopefully it still doesn't. I'd be wise to re-test it ... before I again trust it.

Cheers Mate.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Garmin mounts... But importantly there is a Garmin + Ay Up mount..
http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Garmin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Kenzo wrote:Garmin mounts... But importantly there is a Garmin + Ay Up mount..
http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Garmin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly what I'm looking for! Wonder how it performs.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Noice mounts.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:This is written in the context of bushwalking but I can see it being handy for bicycle touring a well.
It's very good - does exactly what my spreadsheet does with a nice UI.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm

You know your product has made it when other companies start making accessories for your accessory.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 pm

le_quiet_uno wrote:
Exactly what I'm looking for! Wonder how it performs.

I saw this but that it's only for thick road bars, and emailed him to ask about 25.4 or 26mm options. He replied that it would be possible, but not this week as he's busy with his real job. It seems that 3D printing gives pretty good redesign & production flexibility. He didn't mention extra cost.