Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

il padrone

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Last edited by il padrone on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 pm

il padrone wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Worlds gone mad !
Got to disagree with you there. Half the problems of the police forces in Australia, up until the late 80s-90s, has been the fact that they've always been 99.9% WASPs, and those that weren't were the token Catholic. A Police force that reflects their community is going to be far more able to obtain co-operation and valuable information, and this is what boosts their effectiveness, not the size of their biceps or the amount of steel in their jackboots.

Just my 2c.

Until you need one to drag you from a burning house or car........think man, think !

Cops in Australia have a terrible attitude anyway, make British cops seem like angels !

I was signaled to wind my window down and one asked me if I wanted an effing ticket ?
I couldn't believe my ears !!!!
This went on for a couple of to ad fro's until he just sped off.....rude wouldn't cover it .

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Last edited by il padrone on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 am

^^ I don't think you are both on the same wavelength. On pure feats of strength, you pick the most capable person. In the unlikely event that the 4 foot tall disabled lesbian is the strongest, most capable person at the test, then more power to them... that's not a racist comment.

Wurtulla was saying that all Australian cops are goons, despite their race. Separate issue.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 am

Closet racism ?? My niece is lesbian and my uncle a Sikh.
You don't know me for a bar of soap and I'd appreciate you keep your wild assumptions to yourself.

Was this Aussie cop a wasp ? Now, there's a racist comment is it not ?
Glass house and stone throwing ????

So, to topic. (I don't bear grudges, luckily)....

My point is, would you want the best suited to the job or a person appointed to fill a job that's politically motivated ?

Eg, my mate was left in a coma after attending a domestic violence call in geraldton(he was a cop) his partner, a small blonde 20 something hid in the car, locked doors and watched him take a kicking from 2 blokes.

Now, if that was 2x 6 foot blokes , you reckon that would have panned out same way ???

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 am

Xplora wrote:^^ I don't think you are both on the same wavelength. On pure feats of strength, you pick the most capable person. In the unlikely event that the 4 foot tall disabled lesbian is the strongest, most capable person at the test, then more power to them... that's not a racist comment.

Wurtulla was saying that all Australian cops are goons, despite their race. Separate issue.

Too much sense in your statement mate. IL patronise wouldn't agree, he'd just make absurd judgments.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 am

Ah, rather than apologising, he's just deleted the whole insulting/hypocritical post....

That speaks volumes.....sadly ! :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:26 am

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Ah, rather than apologising, he's just deleted the whole insulting/hypocritical post....

That speaks volumes.....sadly ! :(
Sign of humility... Or mod intervention... You got what you wanted. Time to move on.

In other news, helmets suck!

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 am

I didnt want to put up info on my niece but some people need to be convinced that agendas or racism isn't the issue.

Sad but true.

Anyway, move on.....

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am

wurtulla wabbit wrote:London Sikh cops have a black turban with a checquered strip around it !

A black and white cobra pops out the top to arrest you ! :D
wurtulla wabbit wrote:some people need to be convinced that agendas or racism isn't the issue.
Yes, yes they do. They really do.

I guess your first statement does not read like you intended? "I've got loads of black mates, but...." doesn't really make it ok.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am

I can't think of a funny quip that isn't heinously racist... :D Bill Burr, Jimmy Carr, Craig Ferguson... all fabulously offensive comedians. Youtube, my life would be dull without thee.

I think they are all brit descent as well. Coincidence?

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm

il padrone wrote:Thought you were joking...... but heck no!!! Some photos show Sikhs with just a blue turban and Met badge, but this... :o

That kind of looks the part. Community policing at its best, I'd say.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm

This is just cool. Colour-coordinated everything.

Wouldn't work if it was a Honda 50, mind.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:22 pm

London Boy wrote:
il padrone wrote:Thought you were joking...... but heck no!!! Some photos show Sikhs with just a blue turban and Met badge, but this... :o

That kind of looks the part. Community policing at its best, I'd say.
+1

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Helmet laws are useless, most countries use Australia as the example for why mandatory helmet use laws don't work!

I felt far safer riding around London without a helmet than riding around Brisbane with one, I find it increasingly hard to believe that a helmet will keep you safe if you have (any kind) of crash.

Stay safe out there.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

JonoMarshall wrote:Helmet laws are useless, most countries use Australia as the example for why mandatory helmet use laws don't work!

I felt far safer riding around London without a helmet than riding around Brisbane with one, I find it increasingly hard to believe that a helmet will keep you safe if you have (any kind) of crash.

Stay safe out there.

Because the driving stds here are woeful !

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm

JonoMarshall wrote: I felt far safer riding around London without a helmet than riding around Brisbane with one, I find it increasingly hard to believe that a helmet will keep you safe if you have (any kind) of crash.
That is because a helmet will not "keep you safe if you have... ...[a] crash."

However, there is a good chance it will reduce the severity of a head injury.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

Personally I'd rather have the increased freedom (visibility/moment) that riding without a helmet allows.

Also: Motorists give non-helmet wearing plain-clothes riders (with a bit of a wobble on) far more room than they give helmet wearing lycra-lad 'pros'... the former keeps you statistically safer than avoiding a major brain bruise in the event of a crash.
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Because the driving stds here are woeful !
Amen.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm

I was reading the front page by accident. Professor Rissel's quote on the front page has pretty much finished the conversation for my thinking - eloquent, to the point, and covers everything.

The saddest part is that we are faced with so many challenges, and the bicycle has the ability to help with many of them. Congestion, transport for the poor, obesity issues, activity levels in the population, smoking and drinking... these things are helped by riding. Only a silly person smokes if they ride a fair bit, the main person who suffers if you drink and ride is your drunken self, hard to bludge.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Xplora wrote: Only a silly person smokes if they ride a fair bit,
Actually quite a lot of European cyclists do this..... :| But yes, everything you say there is quite correct.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 pm

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 pm

That chink in the armour is looking bigger and bigger... practicality is now an accepted excuse at law in Qld, because it infringes on rights. The leap to the rest of the population is not nearly as far as some might think.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Xplora wrote:That chink in the armour is looking bigger and bigger... practicality is now an accepted excuse at law in Qld, because it infringes on rights. The leap to the rest of the population is not nearly as far as some might think.
It has been mentioned elsewhere that Sikhs swung this for motorcycle helmets in the UK some 30-40 years ago. Near as I can judge, the motorcycle helmet laws aren't going anywhere. Plus WA (and possibly others) has had a religious-and-cultural exemption for some time. So I don't see any historical precedent for this being the beginning of the end for MHLs.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 am

high_tea wrote:So I don't see any historical precedent for this being the beginning of the end for MHLs.
The beginning of the end occurred some time ago. It is just a long ending. :wink:

On a related cycling note. My sister is having to wear less form fitting clothes while riding her bike because of a number of comments about her cycling while pregnant!? There really is something wrong with this country and their attitudes to cycling. She plans on buying a Bakfiets to transport the child of course the legality of all that is questionable. :roll: