Camelbak bottles - Which Cage?

Killswitch

Camelbak bottles - Which Cage?

Postby Killswitch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi guys,

I am about to buy some new bottles but have read some reviews that the CamelBak Bottles don't fit some cages. Way to tight etc.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (sub $15 each) cage that fits the Camelbak bottles?

I was thinking maybe the Elite Patao Bottle Cage (http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... delID=5658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Or the BBB BBC-31 (http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=78146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Cheers.

KS

R12RT

Re: Camelbak bottles - Which Cage?

Postby R12RT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I use the Podium Big Chill in a standard cage.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

They fit in the standard plastic Cateye cages on my wife's bike quite OK.

I use mine in a couple of cages like this one they fit fine

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

I've got the podium big chill in a standard carbon bottle cages
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jzr

Postby jzr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I fit my Podium Chills in Elite Custom Race cages just fine. Can be had for ~$12 on Wiggle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Killswitch, I think the answer here seems to be, you've been fed a whole stack of guff by whoever told you the Podiums don't fit. As far as I can tell they are normal sized bottles.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

dontazame

Postby dontazame » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm

I fit my Podium Chills in Elite Custom Race cages just fine.
My ordinary Podiums were absolutely way too big for those. Not in given price range, but they fit the Arundel Mandible quite nicely.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 am

jzr wrote:I fit my Podium Chills in Elite Custom Race cages just fine. Can be had for ~$12 on Wiggle
Same here.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 am

Ross wrote:
jzr wrote:I fit my Podium Chills in Elite Custom Race cages just fine. Can be had for ~$12 on Wiggle
Same here.
and here...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 am

il padrone wrote:Killswitch, I think the answer here seems to be, you've been fed a whole stack of guff by whoever told you the Podiums don't fit. As far as I can tell they are normal sized bottles.
Actually it's not guff. I've a few of the generic cages that many makers use as freebies but in this case they are from Velocity Wheels...and I can provide you every assurance that while the Camelbak Podium bottles fit that cage...they are very tight. So tight that I have actually lost one bottle as a result - I mishandled the pull, dropped the bottle, heard it get crushed by following riders then was told that the backup bus also couldn't avoid it. The solution is a liberal dose of DryGlide or similar.

The Cateye cages (as suggested) are perfect.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Tao Tacx

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

We've got three of these bottles and they fit fine across all our bikes - if a little snug on some.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Cheers guys,

Have gone with the Elite Custom Race. Ill let you all know how it goes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Cateye cages on my son's and my dual suspension mtbs.

They're a bit tight and dirt sticking to the damp bottles results in them getting scratched up, but the clear upside is they *never* rattle out over the rough stuff.

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 am

kokoman wrote:Tao Tacx
In my experience - no way, not going to happen.

Camelbak's are slightly wider than a normal bottle. They just don't fit all cages.

Just use a standard bottle cage. Preferably something not coloured as the paint scrapes off on your Camelbak over time. I like these http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 5000000000

jzr

Postby jzr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 am

Killswitch wrote:Cheers guys,

Have gone with the Elite Custom Race. Ill let you all know how it goes.
You will be happy with the cages in general, with or without Camelbak bottles. Super lightweight and they look great. Just be careful though - when I first had them on a new bike, I clip-stacked :oops: and one of the cages broke as the bike hit the floor. So just be careful not to drop the bike etc as they are just plastic.

Funny thing is, when I bought the cages I bought the Elite Higene bottles which are made for Elite cages and while they fit, they are super super tight and have lots of scratches and scuffs now and have left their paint all over the inside of the cages. The Camelbak on the other hand, fits like a glove. Go figure.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Elite Custom Race doesn't fit my Camelbak's perfectly. Very tight fit. I'm used to it now.

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:42 am

Yep all fitted up now and I can confirm super tight. I push them in just enough to hold them in place. Push too hard and the rubber comes off.

Ill stick with them for a while and see if they loosen up.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

Im the same I've got elite custom cages on one bike and find the Big Chill bottles a bit of a tight squeeze, I've never lost one but they aren't a great fit.

I bought 2 of these from Cycling Express http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cle ... -cage.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for next to nothing for my other bike and the fit is much better. The cages are just cheap plastic so I don't how durable they are but no problems so far.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 pm

I've gone through a few of those Exustar cages. The bottom tab bit that holds the bottom of the bottle tends to snap.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:04 pm

I've got two of these that fit the big chill bottles not being used if anyone wants them. CF from cycling express, didn't match my frame so don't get used
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Revisiting this - the Camelbak Podiums I got the other day from City Bike Depot in Kent Street fit the Elite Custom Race bidon cages perfectly, yet my other Camelbak Podiums (branded by another LBS) don't fit well at all. Age perhaps...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:Revisiting this - the Camelbak Podiums I got the other day from City Bike Depot in Kent Street fit the Elite Custom Race bidon cages perfectly, yet my other Camelbak Podiums (branded by another LBS) don't fit well at all. Age perhaps...
I find that the Podium fits into the Elite Custom Race cage nicely but the Big Chill version is a little tight.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Revisiting this - the Camelbak Podiums I got the other day from City Bike Depot in Kent Street fit the Elite Custom Race bidon cages perfectly, yet my other Camelbak Podiums (branded by another LBS) don't fit well at all. Age perhaps...
I find that the Podium fits into the Elite Custom Race cage nicely but the Big Chill version is a little tight.

Hmmmm I am surprised by this... Can someone link me to these "tight" Elite custom race cages?

I've got them and I find them a LOOSE fit with my podium chills. To demonstrate I could wheel my bike along on its back wheel and the cage mounted on the seat post will allow the podium chill to simply slide out!

Edit:
I've got the black gloss n white cages here and they are loose as!

http://m.torpedo7.com.au/products/EEBTC ... ottle-cage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Maybe there are different manufacturing tolerances with the Elite bottle cages? Thinking it's more the bottle cage than the bottle but could be wrong. I've got probably 20 bottles of various brands at home including the Podium Chill and they all seem to be pretty close in tightness in my Elite cages.