Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

master6

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Lanterne Rouge wrote:In the absence of the usual journalists, here goes ...

RBWR 6/3/13

More perfect weather greeted the 14 or so RBWR regulars plus one new starter. Route selection proved challenging without the benevolent one. With Colebrook eventually decided upon, the trip out was comfortable and relatively uneventful. A re-group at the top of Cole Hill to remove sticky rocks from tyres etc followed by a roll into Colebrook itself. The ingestion of various solid foods, substances in bottles etc which may require further investigation was the precursor to a nervous, probing climb followed by a furious descent of Cole Hill after which the scribe saw nothing more ...

Post-match reports have it that RW with a full time-trial front end powered into Richmond at the head of the field. At the other end of proceedings the PMM man was comprehensively outwitted for the lanterne rouge.

Coffee, cake, conversation, dodgy poetry, porridge enjoyed by all. The conviviality considerably enhanced by the presence of Olmanec edging ever closer to his much anticipated return to the bike.

(a 24 hour delay will apply to this as a first post, by which time it may well be superseded - so be it!)
Indeed, there was a 24 hour delay, during which time the police forces of Australia were investigating the merits of the one dubbing him/herself "lanterne rouge", and the rest of us were asking "where the *^%%$&^%% is the report on yesterdays ride?
Who is this "l r"?
Little clues were given, except for the choice of language. "Conviviality "? What kind of drug is that? Must be Peptime!

Thank you sincerely l r.

Very happy to hear of the visit by Eric. Sorry I missed him.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Today RBWR..........I'm too tired to tell you....

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Feeling better now.....an hour and a half catnap went well, however the hamstring cramp on getting out of bed was not welcome. Eighteen riders were counted at 8.58am, and it is thought that a couple or more were possibly out of sight attending to matters brought on by nervousness. A gale was blowing from the north, and as a result the trip out beyond Colebrook was taken by a tight knit bunch. The ride home from the top of Cole Hill looked like a race, was attacked like a race, and certainly felt like a race, and some people probably concluded that it was a race.
Wrong.
This ride is not a race. Remember that!
Ride as fast as you like.
Try to stay ahead of the struggling to catch up.
Do anything that resembles racing.
Trust me (never trust a cyclist) this is not a race :D

Richmond Bakery refreshments were delicious as usual. Some interesting discussions took place; the writer avoided mens health due to previous ridicule, and instead instigated a discussion on Freemasonry. Its always a challenge to lead a discussion on a subject about which one has next to no knowledge, however it was made easier by those who also had limited knowledge, or at least pretended so. No offence intended to Freemasons; they do a lot of good work.
Lantern Rouge came out of the scribery closet, and his contribution here is eagerly awaited. PMM man was quite quiet. :D
Oh for next week :roll:

Lanterne Rouge

Postby Lanterne Rouge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 am

As the secret of my identity is now public, it may also be known that I am 197cm or 6'5" in the old measurement. Accordingly I suffer in headwinds from what sailors term "top-hamper". And so it was to prove in yesterday's gale. By Colebrook I was worn out and not willing to blame lack of fitness decided that breakfast had been inadequate. A quick visit to the Colebrook general store, where I exchanged my retirement savings for a Mars bar and I was set for the return home. Bowling along in the tail wind, I was surprised to see the PMM man still steaming north. This reinforced my opinion that I would enjoy a relaxed, scenic run home without being headed. Wrong! The front runners with KO under tow mowed me down about 1 km before Campania. Then, into Campania, came the unmistakeable uphill whoosing sound of RA and I summoned enough energy to latch on. A fast run into Richmond had me congratulating myself on helping deliver Ray in good style when Hartridge roared past like a B52.

It is definitely not a race!

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I look forward to these reports to determine whom is in form -

On a side note even by one taking full time work to part time - I have been unable to attend due to committments very early on a Wednesday morning which leaves me fatigued.

However I look forward to seeing the ever attacking Hatridge soon on a Sunday morning out at Richmond..... :twisted: :twisted:

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:10 am

fixedlegs2012 wrote: I have been unable to attend due to committments very early on a Wednesday morning which leaves me fatigued.
Lucky you Rob :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 am

Twenty three riders did the Richmond, Tea Tree, Brighton, Broadmarsh course. A small group decided to head beyond the civilised limits of Broadmarsh, but soon succumbed to the fears of the unknown , and came home late with tails between legs. Barry appeared to win the sprint to the golf club, however that was corrected when another declared an amended finish line location.
The performance of the day went to DIER (Department of Infrastructure, Energy, and Resources for our interstate friends). Their staff repaired the 2 year old grooves in the road outside Richmond Football Ground in less than 24 hours after being reported to them.

Lanterne Rouge

Postby Lanterne Rouge » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for the writeup master6. Agree - kudos to DIER - those grooves were moderately dangerous. Interesting to speculate how they got there in the first place?
Re yesterday's ride, surely the dictator's new crabon fibre wheels deserve a mention. Crabon is the correct spelling for such wheels when manufactured in PRC. Also for North Korean copies of Coke as in "Crabonated Cocoa Drink". See the authoritative NYC Bike Snob blog for confirmation and further information.
Shall observe with interest as the dictator continues his quest for the holy grail - namely that the weight of componentry between his personage and the road surface is reduced to zero.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

what is the plan for next wednesday as i have the day off

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 pm

BarryTas wrote:what is the plan for next wednesday as i have the day off
What is the world coming to??????

The temerity, the daring; the cheek ^%$*^%&(&!!! :twisted:

Yesterday one had the audacity to ask a question after Cult Leader BDD had delivered riding instructions :roll: In fact , he went further, and made a suggestion :evil:

Now we have Barry seeking advice on the unknown.

You need to consult a fortune teller Barry.

Luckily Barry, you have come to the right place. I confidently foretell that twentyone bicyclists will depart Richmond Bakery at 9.00.00am. :D :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Barry.

The plan is that we will ride and we will leave at 9:00:00.000.

As to where we go - who knows - but the journey will be around the 60km mark and it will depend on the weather conditions and wind direction. Same plan as every week. Having said that we probably need to test my new Crabon wheels on some sort of good down hill to see how they perform!

I have allowed the obligatory one suggestion per year already this year so no more suggestions are needed.

2IC Master6 sums it up pretty well. :mrgreen:

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm

i walked right into that one :roll:

if i am there i am there :D

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm

BarryTas wrote:i walked right into that one :roll:

if i am there i am there :D
:oops: whoa :oops:
Barry, I cannot but agree. I do hope you are there, and bring some mates. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 pm

master6 wrote:on 7/12/2011
For anyone who does not get the picture:-

Rob was first home today. Well done.......stuff you Rob.
We hate it! :D

RBWR said it on 7/12/2011

Seventy Four riders repeated the statement on Saturday 23 May 2013 in Campbelltown.

Congratulations from RBWR Rob.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks guys, 77 riders fronted to what is the best race in Tassie, Longford to Cambelltown. Its a great course and a race steeped in history. Three years ago I stated I wanted to win L-C. My move at 17kms worked, legs felt reasonable and managed to get away and stay away. The Comms gave me time checks to the chasing group. The best win of my career. :)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Thanks guys, 77 riders fronted to what is the best race in Tassie, Longford to Cambelltown. Its a great course and a race steeped in history. Three years ago I stated I wanted to win L-C. My move at 17kms worked, legs felt reasonable and managed to get away and stay away. The Comms gave me time checks to the chasing group. The best win of my career. :)
Where to from here Rob?
(We are fighting each other to get your wheel :D )

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 pm

A beautiful sunny Richmond day is forecast for tomorrow. Looking forward to the ra......! ride. :D
Post ride discussion agenda is looking "healthy", with scope to add a couple of quickies.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am

And another beautiful sunny day it was in Richmond as 21 riders headed out in three different directions into an intersting set of weather conditions. The temperature was rising and the wind strengthening so the course was set for Baskerville over Water Tower Hill first. BarryTaz turned up as promised making many legs nervous but he behaved himself well and the bunch sighed.

The Baskerville circuit is always a test of the legs with incessant climbs presenting at regular intervals but with a good number of regroupings the bunch stayed together all the way with no-one getting lost this time. KOMs went to Barry with ease. Even with no designated finsih point for leaders jersey no one could get past Barry to claim it so that one as well. Lucky it wasn't a race.

Coffee was good. Many conversations overlapped. I didn't hear any mens' issues discussed. No one has received their call up for the Tour as yet. Good times.

The breeze turned to being from the North by coffee's end so the journey from Richmond to Cambridge on the way home was much more enjoyable than usual. Next week we'll probably leave the carpark at around 9:00:00.000

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 pm

"Barry the sprint lead out train doe snot work if no-one can overtake you"

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 pm

BarryTas wrote:"Barry the sprint lead out train doe snot work if no-one can overtake you"
Umm.........hard to argue against that Barry.

When do you get your next Wednesday away from the working class? :) :)

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:The breeze turned to being from the North by coffee's end so the journey from Richmond to Cambridge on the way home was much more enjoyable than usual. Next week we'll probably leave the carpark at around 9:00:00.000

Probably an unacceptable request but can tradition be broken & next weeks leave time be changed to 9:10:00:00 due to MTT bus strike & delivering kids to school. :shock: ( I couldn't find a cringe emoticon on the side)

I expect I will be berated & pelted with Co2 Cylinders at the next ra....ride for requesting such a thing

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm

BarryTas wrote:"Barry the sprint lead out train doe snot work if no-one can overtake you"

Weren't you the lead out man.......

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm

master6 wrote:
Umm.........hard to argue against that Barry.

When do you get your next Wednesday away from the working class? :) :)
Now I get it. This is one Barry talking to another Barry :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:04 pm

bazsand wrote:
I expect I will be berated & pelted with Co2 Cylinders at the next ra....ride for requesting such a thing
Correct :wink:

You should start praying for a torrential downpour at 8.59.59.00 Barry. We would then be delayed for a few minutes digging out rain jackets , and this might almost give you the breathing space required.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Tomorrow morning:-

Bumper field at RBWR

Tomorrow afternoon:-

"Sorry boss, the bus strike has caused bedlam out there, so I'm a little late getting in"

:D :D :D :D :D