The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

poohkies

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby poohkies » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 am

Well havn't been on the bike since I did my 100mile challenge so like 12 days or something , but yesterday I did the Hidden Valley meet (yes ride around the car race track) had a great time, got put into B grade! which was pretty cool i thought at the time, pushed a little hard at he start and only lasted 3 laps with the group we had to do 7 laps which was 20kms as the A group came around to lap me I managed to jump on the back of them as they hit the straight, and my god what a run (48 - 50 km/h) was great, but came to turn one and I dropped off, dont think i've ever peddled like that, but least i managed the whole straight, few of them kept looking back :P yeah im still here mo fo's and finished my 7 laps, with a best of 4:30 so i'd knocked of 30secs over my last time there!

I'll see how I go next time, even start down the back of the group to make sure I can stay with the group the whole 7 laps next time :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 am

16C outside in the sun... everyone is off racing somewhere and I feel like someone has attacked my ribs with a hammer... most painful cold I have ever had :evil: . Hopefully be up and riding before I end up having a full week off the bike... be the first in 2 years :oops: . Maybe Monday before the announced snow arrives again, Spring was nice while it lasted!.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Good weekend,

Massive turnout on Friday at the local Velodrome, friday's is half using the track half using the centre for mtb's so took my BMX from when i was 18 and had a blast, don't think i've ever peddled its so fast, passed alot of guys on MTB's so that's all i wanted,

Saturday morning ride was great, feeling it a little from the night before but had a good ride! enjoyed it lots, dropped bike of after ride to get the rear hub replaced!

Bring on another week of riding

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 am

Sunday ticked out a very slow 25k's in the sun... very weak after the flu.
Monday the aim was just to cruise but too many people on one of the popular climbs meant I pushed it too hard all 3 times ( hard still equaled very slow compared to normal! )... got home and was exhausted after just 60kms :oops: .
Today about the same distance but just trying to hold a good average... legs are jelly!.
Have tomorrow off and hopefully bounce back... be nice to have a good race on Saturday and then try and totally exhaust myself before having to take 11 days off the bike :shock: .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Took my TSB from +12 to -12, CTL back up to 97... sinus infection. I'm not getting enough protein, so that probably doesn't help.

I love my TT bike. 390 watts for extended periods of time without more than minor back pain.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 am

I'm also feeling a little bit down with a cold that is trying to take hold. I'm dosing up on vitamin C in the hopes of clearing it away. Everyone at work seems to have it. :(

I put in 45km on Saturday, but on a very unfamiliar route so I was doing some bits slower. Got back to an area I knew better and went a bit quicker - pushing a big gear. :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Been taking a more structured approach to training this year, due to heavier work commitments and gettng well out of nick over indulgent Chrissy hols.

I've been an admirer of Pat Clohessy, who coached marathon runner Robert de Castella, and am using some of his ideas, which I think transfer well to recreational masters athletes.
i.e.
- mix training all physiological systems over 1-2 weeks during competition season, with multi-pace periodization (using pyramid structured intervals via either time or intensity).
- weights and flexibility.

I'm doing
- two afternoon closed track interval sessions a week, one is pyramided and done solo, the other is intervals done with pack (attacks, pace change)
We've had to put a bit of thought into how to do pack training with guys from A, B, and C.
- 2-3 solo road rides on weekdays (1-2 recoveries and one peppered with 3-5 minute intervals on appropriate segments).
- race Saturday and 2-4 hour ride Sunday with variable efforts depending on energy.

= 6-9 hours a week

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm

winstonw wrote:...= 6-9 hours a week
I would have said that wasn't enough hours to maintain competitive "base" fitness, it's in the range of hours suggested by Carmichael for his "Time Crunched" plans where you use an intense training program but have to take big rest blocks every few months.

I tend to worry more about average time in Tempo/Threshold and ride hours for the week.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 pm

I just ride my bike and hit Strava segments if the conditions are right.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I just ride my bike and hit Strava segments if the conditions are right.
where do you ride your bike?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 am

Around Caboolture. Strava's easier to top place on around here. Not many riders.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't have a Cadence monitor (would love a Garmin 500/510!) but I've been paying special attention to spinning without pushing (over exerting the legs) and managed to set several PRs on Strava!

What's the science behind spinning to gain more power? Is there anything else I should be doing?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Walking into the danger topic of "pedal stroke", eh?

I find the same. I suspect that by maximising muscle recruitment over the pedal stroke without recruiting too much fast twitch (ie. avoiding lots of pedal force) I can reduce the oxygen requirements and make a bit more power, but it only works for me if I'm right forwards on the saddle in a TT position where I am using my quads a lot. And I'm not saying "turning circles", because I'm not trying to pull up on the pedals or kick forwards, I'm just trying to be smooth. On my TT bike, I can sit on 380/390 watts, but on one on my roadies the same perceived effort is around 360/370 watts.

Sent from my iThingy...

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 pm

twizzle wrote:Walking into the danger topic of "pedal stroke", eh?

I find the same. I suspect that by maximising muscle recruitment over the pedal stroke without recruiting too much fast twitch (ie. avoiding lots of pedal force) I can reduce the oxygen requirements and make a bit more power, but it only works for me if I'm right forwards on the saddle in a TT position where I am using my quads a lot. And I'm not saying "turning circles", because I'm not trying to pull up on the pedals or kick forwards, I'm just trying to be smooth. On my TT bike, I can sit on 380/390 watts, but on one on my roadies the same perceived effort is around 360/370 watts.

Sent from my iThingy...
Dangerous waters indeed. I await for the advisement that I should invest in a cadence monitor..

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm

The one and only thing I learnt from a cadence monitor is that I'm ~10rpm higher when racing. Which never seems to help me when I'm training.

Sent from my iThingy...

vander

Postby vander » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 pm

twizzle wrote:The one and only thing I learnt from a cadence monitor is that I'm ~10rpm higher when racing. Which never seems to help me when I'm training.

Sent from my iThingy...
I found that also but I also found good for reco rides when I dont realise I am grinding (AT) 60-70RPM. Also interesting to play with intervals on the trainer, see what a VO2 interval at 100RPM is like compared to 80-85 (my preferred cadence). I have heard talk about it making gains proportionately in different systems, not convinced however I still do it in my training (very) occasionally as it does feel different and is probably good for the track.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

I like my cadence meter a bunch, I guess for me its a no brainer because I've got a Trek with the inbuilt Ant+ thingy. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a cadence meter in the chainstay. So it's super subtle compared to the cadence meters I've seen.

I am still new to all this so I'm messing around with my cadence to see what is faster when climbing - grinding in the 70-80-90rpm zone or spinning 95-110rpm.

Right now the jury is still out for me. My initial take is that I really have to be switched on to hold 100rpm and get fast times, whereas I can run respectable times at a lower cadence without being in the best condition. If I'm in good condition I get the feeling I'll climb faster if I can really spin the gears out holding 110rpm.

I haven't done much reading on cadence and muscle performance or anything like that... I've just been told 'spin to win' haha.
vander wrote: I found that also but I also found good for reco rides when I dont realise I am grinding (AT) 60-70RPM.
Every now and then I'll be climbing and notice that I'm grinding instead of spinning. Cadence meters are real good for keeping you consistent/objective/focused.

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Get home from work, long day filled with absolute terrible customers...
So jump on the trainer for a decent hit out.
I am literally 4 minutes away from completing Spinervals 5.0 Mental Toughness (90minutes),
I start feeling a vibration, thinking at first it was trainer, nope ruled that out and then I admit defeat and jump off...

TWO HUGE BUBBLES IN MY REAR TYRE.

Kenda Kadence set at 110psi and less than 500kms...

Anyone else had this or similar happen? Any ideas whats happened?? Suggestions on new tyres??

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Too much pressure on the roller, over heated... Surprised you didn't smell it!

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 am

toolonglegs wrote:Too much pressure on the roller, over heated... Surprised you didn't smell it!
I run a Elite Mag trainer, you cant set the pressure for the roller its hinged and the rider weight keeps the pressure on...

Maybe im too fat???

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 pm

sbr511 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Too much pressure on the roller, over heated... Surprised you didn't smell it!
I run a Elite Mag trainer, you cant set the pressure for the roller its hinged and the rider weight keeps the pressure on...

Maybe im too fat???
:| You do realise they make specific tyres just for trainers. Trainers kill most tyres.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Cycled to my hill training and was met with an epic downpour. Battled through that to climb our big hill twice and practice how to pedal up big hills.

I can't spin yet as I'm in first and grinding but I'll get there! I need to strengthen my core and get more flexibility in my legs then I should see more gains (as well as fitness).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Get an average rear wheel and put one of those Conti home-trainer tyres on it. Those are durable as anything.

I had a great ride today to get lunch. 26 achievements too, (most of them PRs). For the first time in ages - I was feeling faster and better than in a long time. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

How rude. Arrived back home, 149.98km. Rode 10 metres up the road then came back.

Sent from my iThingy...

kb

Postby kb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:38 am

5.48k up the road and back would have made it a century ;-)