How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Pravda wrote: That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?

get newspaper or paper toweling and shove it hard into your shoes as soon as you can - fill the shoes up with it...then repeat around lunchtime with fresh dry stuff....your shoes will be dry by the time you leave work

shoe covers...not much except ring them out as much as possible then hang them up somewhere
yeah - shoe covers keep your feet dry in brissy rain for about 10 minutes.

i have thought about getting a set of the elastic bits they use for lawn mowing that will cover the top of the shoes (trying to find a picture but failing)
found them

http://www.safetyquip.com.au/pdFG15C/bo ... astic-top/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 am

Home via MYT, Greensborough etc. At least 30km of the 40km ride was into a gusty northerly headwind, and it was pretty warm too.
Clear skies this morning, bright full moon illuminated the paths along the Darebin Creek Trail quite nicely. Fairly warm morning, with cool pockets of air in dips and along the creek.
Edit: spelling
Last edited by TailWind on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am

Felt pretty average and heavy on my run this morning - although the other cyclist commuter (one of two) who regularly says hello to me was around and said 'G'Day' so that was nice. I haven't seen green jumper cyclist for a while. Hope he is just on holiday or something or I've just been later than usual.

On the ride to work I saw 3 lots of Bicycle Network Victoria uniform and umbrella wearing staff in groups of 3 saying hello to cyclists at various traffic and intersection points along the copenhagen bicycle lane on Albert Street, East Melbourne. They didn't look like they were writing down figures and just seemed to be putting on a cheery face and saying 'nice day for a ride'. Any idea what they were doing there?

Also had a female P plater (almost deliberately it seemed) cut into the Collins Street gutter bike lane as I was going past and then correct herself after I had braked so she didn't squeeze me into the curb. I don't think she realised and she seemed to be fiddling with something when I went past her. Which was the exact time that the GoPro decided it didn't have enough juice and turned off. Just checked the footage and it did record that little brain fart of hers but stopped shortly thereafter.

Then (as posted in the Video thread) I was stopped at the corner of Elizabeth and Collins waiting for the lights and saw the GoPro wobbling more than was warranted given the bicycle's movements. I reach down to touch it and it comes off in my hand. :shock: The GoPro Plastic Handlebar Mount Curse strikes again! Lanyard attached to the camera meant that I wasn't overly worried about it as it flopped around. No harm done to it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

Extended my commute home by riding over to Nundah yesterday around dusk. There was a *lot* of high protein air around dark...

Had a car turn across my path even though they could clearly see me. Stopped, and gave them exaggerated "no YOU go first, please my lords" type signal. Also got left hooked by a car which didn't even indicate - driver was in la-la land. AZ time. They'd been giving signs of being somewhere else mentally so no real danger as I was ready for it. Just before this a cyclist had filtered and then casually cycled through a red light in front of 20 waiting drivers at a busy intersection, so I was already feeling cranky.

This morning, on a footpath (there's a footpath I take for about 30 meters) a car coming out of a driveway almost got me. I was kind of expecting it to not give way so I stopped (was going slow anyway) but let go with a huge "oi" and they were very apologetic so I calmed down straight away. I think they were having a bad day, cos they then pulled onto the road in front of an oncoming car which had to brake and was leaning on the horn...

And saw a ute towing a trailer turning right run a red light right in front of me, and the only reason he didn't run over the 2 primary school kids crossing on the green "walk" signal next to me was because they saw the ute and decided not to walk just yet. Didn't gain the driver much cos I casually caught up 100m down the road and asked [nicely] if he realised he'd almost hit 2 kids walking to school who had a green walk signal.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Pravda wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

There must be a fun-run or something coming up. I still saw quite a large number of joggers along Riverside Drive - usually a sign of a forthcoming event.

It was our first storm of the year - cold, a bit windy and some chop on the river - southerly winds mostly. But at least not too strong. I think it's back to the back pack with all the necessaries for cold dark wet winter.

But where were all the cyclists? :o You can't let the joggers and jigglers and shuflers and other peds show us up.
Was a blast heading north on the northern PSP this morning. Very quiet from riders coming the other direction, probably only passed 10 coming south when I normally see up to 100.
That said I was completely wet through by the time I got into work. Anyone got tips on getting shoes ans shoecovers dry?
Was heading south into that wind, pleasantly soaked.
Glad I wore my bathers to work.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Um, so who put THAT there?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Dan wrote:Um, so who put THAT there?

Can't view the video - is it set to unlisted or public?

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 pm

you're too quick - try again!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm laughing. It was cute. Sorry, forgive me. :lol:

(I'm hoping I'm laughing at a clipstack and not being really horrible by laughing at something like you not having a left leg and leaning the wrong way).

At least it was onto grass?

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Yep, onto grass. Cat just sat there - no help.

Funny you should mention no left leg - I helped a woman with a prosthetic left leg who fell down today. Lovely old woman, used to work for the newspapers. Kept going on about how Murdoch is a bar stool - took me a second to catch on.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 pm

Ugh, 30°C and a godzilla headwind all the way home -_-

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Well I desperately tried to work out a hack job way to attach my GoPro to myself for the commute home but dangling it off my hot pink bike horn which is attached to my backpack chest strap just didn't work unless I didn't mind angled, wobbly footage of the side... So the camera went into my pocket.

Managed to beat the fat droplets of rain home although I think everyone did as it still hasn't rained yet 2 hours later. Might be fun tomorrow morning.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Today was nice and easy. Not sure why 90% of the cyclists are crossing red traffic lights- just my observation!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 pm

Smoky on my ride home last night from the fire down between Darnum and Yarragon. Didn't commute today (just as well as I was over an hour late getting out of the office!) Copped a wind change here about 9-9.15pm and suddenly all the neighbours (self included) were outside looking for fire because the smell of smoke was so sudden and bad. Bushfire burning over the other side of hills but not threatening our town. Hope neighbouring towns and all the firies stay safe tonight.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

Another cold and foggy morning ride today. Once the sun came up it was a lovely morning.

I have been lucky this week, all the truck/car drivers have been good and given my decent clearance..I try to be respectful to them in how I ride as well, so nice to see it coming back my way

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am

Crazy gusty northerly headwind again for the ride back yesterday afternoon.
Woke up to the sound of rain this morning and a quick look at the radar confirmed that it was going to be a rain commute.
Tossed up the wardrobe options, and went for the SPD sandals again - temp was around 17C, so I wasn't in danger of freezing off my toes.
While sandals probably didn't add to the "cycle chic" factor, they worked pretty well and just required a quick wipe down at work despite door-to-door rain for the 30 kms. The rest of me was thoroughly soaked, the spray jacket held out the water for maybe 20 mins. Still a nice ride tho.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

had some drizzle on the way in (stopped and put the bag cover on) but cleared to a really nice morning.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am

No rain, no gunk on the legs (booties were on just in case) and a nice ride into the city this morning. Which was nice considering the absolutely pouring rain that hit overnight and this morning. The wind blew the bedroom door open twice even though it was closed and locked. It must be just slightly out of alignment. The ghosts must want in.

I used the GoPro chest mount and it surprisingly fit well over my backpack strap (an over the shoulder one) and child's horn that sits on my chest strap. I thought I'd have problems but I put it on after putting on everything else and over it went. :D

I will have to learn the correct adjustment of the camera angle on the chest as it was a bit low. I'm not a fan of seeing my legs going up and down at the bottom of the screen or the camera view shifting up to the sky when I stand out of the saddle or stop at lights. I think I prefer the handlebar mounted footage - more vibration but less angle change and no legs and arms in the shot. Bring on the new month so I can get the K-Edge mount!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Perth:

My first day in a new location and so I am now having to ride canning highway from Canning Bridge to Vic park. The paths are a real mashup. Not that I mind too much - it works me a bit more physically and skills wise.

Now all I need to do is find a coffee shop to drop into each morning.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm

1st couple of days back commuting after 3 weeks holiday in beautiful Plettenberg Bay. All that running and cycling I did to avoid spending time with my family must have done some good as my average speed has been pretty good.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 pm

on the way home at vic park I had to wait for an excavator on the bike only path

one of these:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

What the hell happened Dan? LOL it doesn't even make sense that you'd clipstack :lol:

Wet on the way home. Fail. Only got my gears tuned on Monday. FAIL. I swear I don't know why I bother getting the mechanicals looked at, it's almost like clockwork :roll: :roll: :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

InTheWoods wrote:There was a *lot* of high protein air around dark...
LMAO :lol: .

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 am

Xplora wrote:What the hell happened Dan? LOL it doesn't even make sense that you'd clipstack :lol: :
Beats me. Went like this:

Ok cool home alive there's the cat hey someone closed the gate hey someone closed the gate stop stop stop unclip um unclip um no fallover giggle.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 pm

just noticed. Am over 3000kms commuting for the year