Which headlamp and why?

rifraf

Which headlamp and why?

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 am

Hi everyone,
whilst I missed my big maglight torch on my last trip for the feeling of security it offers (6D cell),
I've realised it represents too much weight for its convenience and use.
I'm thinking about a headlamp but am a bit confused by the sheer choice of models available.
I know that there are many new ones since I last bothered to look and I was somewhat flummoxed then.
So come on, what are your recommendations for a really good headlamp for touring.
No real budget in mind but I'd appreciate some bang for buck whilst acknowledging you get what you pay for........
I've seen some offerings from Petzl and Lenser which I think are good brands but I'm out of my depth here.

Back in Jan, Aushiker pointed out the Petzl Nao Headlamp (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... lit=+petzl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Has pluses and minus. I like the USB (think dynohub charging) but not the short burn times compared to cheaper models in the range as well as not being sure I need all the horsepower - still a very nice light by all accounts.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Which headlamp and why?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 am

I've had a Petzl Tikka for the last decade...the Tikka2 uses the same form factor http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/universal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 am

I have acquired a collection of these over my trekking career, but my current favourite is the Mammut Lucido S-Flex.

Why? Because it is small and lightweight. It takes only one AAA battery, but still has impressive light output. It's all I need for camping.

I would avoid lamps that use rechargeable batteries, particularly those that have the battery mounted at the back of the head. They might be ok for cavers, but they are bloody uncomfortable to wear around camp, and in particular when you are lying down in your tent trying to read.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 am

I have recently bought a Black Diamond Storm headtorch. After using a Princeton Tec for many years the new main LED is astonishingly bright, sending out a spot-light beam - 100 lumens :shock: . Even the two side LEDs for closer use are brighter than the old Princeton Tec. Lightweight, compact, three AAA batteries... it even has two red LEDs for nocturnal animal spotting, but more critically they do not attract the moths and bugs at night around the kitchen or tent. It has a color-coded battery meter on the side of the case.

It was a bit more costly I think, around $50-$70 IIRC.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 am

il padrone wrote:I have recently bought a Black Diamond Storm headtorch. After using a Princeton Tec for many years the new main LED is astonishingly bright, sending out a spot-light beam - 100 lumens :shock: . Even the two side LEDs for closer use are brighter than the old Princeton Tec. Lightweight, compact, three AAA batteries... it even has two red LEDs for nocturnal animal spotting, but more critically they do not attract the moths and bugs at night around the kitchen or tent. It has a color-coded battery meter on the side of the case.

Hi IP,
thanks for the tip - good to know about the red LEDs and insects.

Hey I notice a lot of pics seem to get chopped when they are posted on here.
I"ve overcome this happening to mine by first opening them in microsoft office picture manager and clicking the tab at the top "Picture" and then clicking "resize". A box on the left will open and I click "preferred width and height", then a drop down menu and pick "web-large (640x480px) and then "OK". When I close the box a message pops up asking "save?", I click "Yes" and then the pic is ready for adding to your photo host (Photobucket.com) in a size that wont be chopped when posting on here. I wish I'd known this ages ago as most of my bike pics seemed to lose the front wheel. Hope this helps someone. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am

RonK wrote:
I would avoid lamps that use rechargeable batteries, particularly those that have the battery mounted at the back of the head. They might be ok for cavers, but they are bloody uncomfortable to wear around camp, and in particular when you are lying down in your tent trying to read.
Thanks for the tip Ron, that rear mounted battery pack being uncomfortable is something easily overlooked and
reading is definitely one of the main activities I want a headlamp for. :D

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Ay-Up.

http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/24/

I use mine for camping, fishing, shooting, working on the car ect.

All other head lamps pale into insignificance around it. I can tie 4lb fishing line in the dead of night on the side of lake Eucumbene when its blowing 40 bastards with them.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 pm

This is my favorite headlamp.

http://www.ledlenser.com.au/products/hi ... series/h7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have used it over time for cycling touring, camping, no problems reading at night in the tent, as you can shift the battery pack to the side. Done some animal spotting over the holiday down south.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Tandem wrote:This is my favorite headlamp.
I have used it over time for cycling touring, camping, no problems reading at night in the tent, as you can shift the battery pack to the side. Done some animal spotting over the holiday down south.
Hi Tandem,
Thanks for the response.
Why this one out of the many available?

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I have recently thrown out a headlamp exactly like the one pictured in Tandems post except a different brand. The brand i feel is irrelevant as it seems they are from the same factory. It was a good light as it had adjustable beam strength and was able to be tilted at a few angles for eating, or walking, riding etc. plenty of power too.

My next choice however of headlamp will NOT be one with this extra battery pack, reasons below.

1. Part reason for mine failing was the wire running from the pack to the lamp along the elastic within the clips. This wire failed where it meets the pack after a few years from packing, unpacking, rolling up to put away, general moving about etc.

2. The elastic eventually failed and once elastic fails, its failed, like in ya undies.!! This may be due to the extra weight of the battery pack, or poor quality elastic, im not really sure. My head is of normal size too. This failing elastic also allowed the lamp part to constantly and more frequently unclip and fall from the elastic band. The more you re-tighten the band, the narrower in height it gets, the easier the lamp unclips.

I like the idea of the RED light, no bugs in ya face or dinner, not blarring light into other peoples face (should be law against this). Red is good for star gazing and its also a little sexy.....easy tiger...GGRRRR..!!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 pm

il padrone wrote:I have recently bought a Black Diamond Storm headtorch.
Pity it is so heavy at around 154 grams :( Back in the market for a new headlamp. Having had no power for the past 36 hours I went to grab my PrincetonTec Fuel to find the clip that holds the battery in place broken. Thankfully still had my old PrincetonTec Aurora but would like to get a new lamp.

I like the utility of the SnowPeak SnowMiner but again the weight ....

If any one else has suggestions or experience with the SnowMiner I am all eyes :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:I have recently bought a Black Diamond Storm headtorch.
Pity it is so heavy at around 154 grams :(
You are bothered by that weight ????? :shock:

Now I have a Go Pro Hero 2 and the helmet-mount for it. Well that is what I regard as heavy, and I don't use the helmet-mount because of this. But the Storm I could and do wear happily all evening.

Heavy? Meh!

[edit] Hang on a minute! Where-ever did you get that data from??? Just weighed mine and it is 92g (with batteries). The store I linked above lists it as 90g. That is about the same weight as that SnowMiner light you mentioned (65g plus 3AAAs @35g = 100g) :?: :?:

Looking at the specs I would rate the Black Diamond a similar light - 70 vs 80 lumens high and both 8 lumens low output, red LED option, 10g lighter (WOW :roll:) - it's a pretty close-run thing :wink:

Weight? 3/5 of stuff-all.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm

I received my black diamond a few days ago, ordered from Ebay, $52 delivered which includes 4 x AAA energizer batteries (about $10 worth).

I wathced a few youtube vids on it, and took some advice from here and there, so far, so good.

Weighed mine and its 112 grams with batteries....??...go figure...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 pm

I use a Petzl Tikka 2 with the USB rechargable battery, purely because I can recharge it from the dynamo and I don't have to buy and dispose of alkaline batteries. It's plenty bright enough.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 pm

festybiker wrote:I received my black diamond a few days ago, ordered from Ebay, $52 delivered which includes 4 x AAA energizer batteries (about $10 worth).

I wathced a few youtube vids on it, and took some advice from here and there, so far, so good.

Weighed mine and its 112 grams with batteries....??...go figure...
Sounds like you've got a different model. Mine is just like the one linked above and pictured. It has three AAA batteries, weighs 92g :?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 pm

il padrone wrote:Sounds like you've got a different model. Mine is just like the one linked above and pictured. It has three AAA batteries, weighs 92g :?
The weight I had was from a UK retailer which does sound too much, however according to Black Diamond the Storm takes four AAA batteries and weighs 110g.

It sounds like you have the Spot which takes three AAA batteries and weighs in at 90g.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 pm

So is there a "spot" brewing or all a "storm" in a tea cup? :? :lol: :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Ah, yes mine is the Spot :|

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm

il padrone wrote:I have recently bought a Black Diamond Storm* headtorch. After using a Princeton Tec for many years the new main LED is astonishingly bright, sending out a spot-light beam - 100 lumens :shock: . Even the two side LEDs for closer use are brighter than the old Princeton Tec. Lightweight, compact, three AAA batteries... it even has two red LEDs for nocturnal animal spotting, but more critically they do not attract the moths and bugs at night around the kitchen or tent. It has a color-coded battery meter on the side of the case.

[edit] * Mine is actually the Black Diamond Spot, not the Storm.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm

I just bought one of these for use at the Mont 24 last weekend. 80 lumens, it was about $70-odd from Anna Conned Her.

Worked well. I used 3x1.2V AAA NiMH rechargeables that are 3-4 yeears old. No lack of brightness.

The red is good for maintaining night vision. My son tells me that on Army Cadet camps you are ONLY allowed to use the red, for this reason.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 am

good slewthing work, glad we (you), got to the bottom of it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 am

Just brought from an US eBay seller a Petzl Tikka XP2. I was always pretty happy with my old Petzl Tikka XP so decided to get the updated version. I prefer the lighter weight and I found the diffuser very useful before so expect the same again. Delivered price is $62.35.

BTW they do a black version too which is a cheaper ... not sure why.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 am

Petzl have a new headlamp model coming out in September; the Tikka R+ (two variants). Petzel describe it ...

REACTIVE LIGHTING technology now upgrades the TIKKA, the standard in compact headlamps. Light output adapts instantly to the environment and is optimized to guarantee the chosen burn time. The versatile mixed beam gives the advantage of lighting adapted to close-range vision and to moving around. The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with USB connection is suitable for frequent use.

Source: Petzl

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:37 am

Aushiker wrote:Just brought from an US eBay seller[/url] a Petzl Tikka XP2. I was always pretty happy with my old Petzl Tikka XP so decided to get the updated version. I prefer the lighter weight and I found the diffuser very useful before so expect the same again. Delivered price is $62.35.
BTW they do a black version too which is a cheaper ... not sure why.

Andrew
I saw both you and Westcoastpete had these and liked the idea of being able to buy a usb rechargeable battery for it.
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamp/universal/core" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlam ... l/tikka-xp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I had to make a Wiggle order tonight and they are selling them I bit the bullet and added one to my order.
It is the cheaper black one but
http://www.this link is broken/petzl-tikka-xp-2-head-torch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$51.91 with my current gold status.

To a degree it covers RonKs suggestion of comfort with no rear battery box to make reading in bed disagreeable and IP's thoughts on the infra-red and less bug attraction.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Perhaps of interest to other Tikka xp2 owners:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petzl-Core-R ... 0834515988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recharge time: 3 hours

Number of charging cycles: approximately 300

Weight: 30 g

Guarantee: 3 years or 300 charging cycles

These seem to retail here in Aus for over $60 so my ebay win of $15.50 plus post seems ok.
Good luck!

Oh and watch the postage. Its only $3 dearer for Express which is what I went for instead of $6.95 for standard.
Twas an easy call. :o

Oh and anyone in Perth fancying a Mammut head lamp similar to RonKs should check out:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/victoria ... 1021401058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;