Air compressor - assistance?

Jean

Air compressor - assistance?

Postby Jean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi,

I've been wanting an air compressor for a while (so I can do the tubeless thing on my MTB), and yesterday I took a punt on one at the local dump recycle place. I put a new plug on it today, and the thing still works. Woohoo :D

The only problem with it is far as I can see is a cracked plastic tube that runs into the pump pressure switch. It is hard tubing, or at least it is now - I suspect it was flexible when the compressor was new. If I take it out it has a brass olive at each end, but a barb at only one end. The ID is about 4mm, the OD about 6-7mm. Anyone got any good suggestions about how to replace it? Here's a photo of the offending bit (the white tube):

It's a cheapo Chinese made compressor, so finding OEM parts seems unlikely.

find_bruce

Re: Air compressor - assistance?

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Pretty standard set up on cheap compressors. Someone like BOC gas & gear should be able to help

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Most likely it is Nylon 11 a tube of some reasonable strength. The trick with tube is to measure the OD is sold by the OD any industrial hose place should have some. The brass olives may not reseal on the new tube though so may pay to get new fittings too.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 am

I've found the local Enzed store very helpful for all sorts of odd fitting and hose problems I have taken in.

Can you isolate the tube and fittings (take them off) and take them in with you, or take the whole compressor in the car?
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 am

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Yes I've got the hose/pipe off and the fittings are still on them. I paid $10 for the compressor and something else at the recycle centre and another $5 on a replacement plug, so I'm feeling nice and smug about how little this thing is costing - so far. :roll: I've got to make sure I don't go overboard on it. Still, an equivalent compressor is about $100 bucks new at Supercheap Auto.

Enzed seems a hot tip, but I will go see the others too.

Cheers

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

That is just standard 6mm (or possibly 1/4") pneumatic air line.

Take it and the fittings to either Enzed, Pirtek, Festo or anyone who carries fluid power supplies. If you are lucky, they might even give you an offcut of the pneumatic line, but you'll probably have to buy a metre of it (it's cheap). The fittings could be anything up to $10 each depending on what they are.

coyote

Postby coyote » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 pm

The other place that may be worth trying is a truck spare parts store as trucks have alot air parts for different things. 8)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 pm

For the sake of $10 this may be worth a shot if the fittings are pricey. Tech specs here:

Code: Select all

http://www.afcinternational.com.au/techdata/SOS%20[TECH].pdf
(had to post it as code due to the [ ] in the filename, just copy + paste into browser if you cant click on it). This stuff is bloody handy, almost like a tape version of WD-40 the list of things it can do is impressive. Cant say I have tried it in a situation where it needs to deal with pressure, but even if it doesnt work chances are you will use it somewhere. Tensile strength is 700psi according to the tech doc, but in the spirit of IANAL, in this instance IANAE

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Woohoo, $4 at Enzed and another 15minutes in the garage and I have compressed air on tap. Thanks for the tips.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Jean wrote:Woohoo, $4 at Enzed and another 15minutes in the garage and I have compressed air on tap. Thanks for the tips.
8) 8)

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 am

While I understand the urge for cool stuff in the workshop, it's really no biggie to go tubeless using a floor pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA4nea1UT0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm

JustJames wrote:While I understand the urge for cool stuff in the workshop, it's really no biggie to go tubeless using a floor pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA4nea1UT0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Been there, tried that, multiple times. Burned quite a few calories pumping away, but never got the tyre to seat or inflate. I'd been contemplating trying again, when I saw the compressor at the recycle place at the dump and figured it was worth a go.