Winter & Rain jackets

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Purt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

il padrone wrote:the advantage of http://www.bicyclinghub.com is that their shipping is only $24.99 versus $50 from Showerspass.


Doesn't really matter when the price of the jacket is $50 more...
User avatar
Purt
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 pm

BNA
 

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 pm

My error
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18157
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 am

competitive cyclist has the elite 2.0 for $150 atm
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby ILMB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

Just found this web site. Bit exxy, but would look great on a Fred-Mobile
http://www.cleverhood.com/
User avatar
ILMB
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 am

Cycle capes replace skinny-leg jeans as the next hipster cool :shock: :lol: 8)

Must be something to do with the "Harry Potter Generation" reaching adulthood :wink:

Cycle-capes have a long history in cycle-wear and riding in the rain. They were much more effective than the old rain-jackets. They really died out in the late 80s and early 90s in the developed nations with the rise of the MTB, Gore-tex breathable fabrics, and riding without any mudguards as the norm. Capes simply lose their point without mudguards.

The arm-holes are probably handy :P but not entirely a new invention. Ladies riding capes for horse-riding used these I believe. Using a bicycle-cape to really keep as dry as possible does not involve sticking your arms out like this though:

Image


Instead, for the best rain protection (including for the legs) you need a longer cape, cut to shape and especially longer at the front, with thumb-loops so that you can hold it or hook it over the drop brake levers :

ImageImage

Cycle-capes are also best when used with 1. mudguards, and 2. spats:
Image

Patterson drew cyclists riding with capes in the 30s and 40s
Image

French gendarmes had them as standard equipment.
Image


Lots of people still use capes routinely when commuting

User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18157
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby jamesn184 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Yeah I wouldn't be caught dead in any of those !
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby ILMB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Have to watch the drape length of the over the handle bars capes so that they don't obstruct the front light at night.

On a serious note, a cape makes much more sense for summer, as at least there is still airflow around the torso.
User avatar
ILMB
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 pm

jamesn184 wrote:competitive cyclist has the elite 2.0 for $150 atm

Well the black one (only) is but at that price I'm tempted to buy a spare myself after paying a lot more
for the one I have. Thats approx $100 saving over the price a few short months ago from memory. :shock:
Very good buying I think if you ride taking into consideration the less safety factor of a dark colour.
I do feel very visible in my yellow one.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Yeah I wouldn't be caught dead in any of those !

The true long-fronted cycle cape is an even sweeter look when you're walking about off the bike :P :lol: :lol: Probably the main reason I don't use one these days - a jacket is more versatile.

Image
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18157
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:05 pm

rifraf wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:competitive cyclist has the elite 2.0 for $150 atm

Well the black one (only) is but at that price I'm tempted to buy a spare myself after paying a lot more
for the one I have. Thats approx $100 saving over the price a few short months ago from memory. :shock:
Very good buying I think if you ride taking into consideration the less safety factor of a dark colour.
I do feel very visible in my yellow one.

Arggh! No medium sized ones available :(
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18157
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 am

Does anyone know if Assos gear is true to the tag in its sizing? As opposed to some of the Italian manufacturers which are quite a bit smaller in size than the tag suggests?
User avatar
Kwaichang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am

Kwaichang wrote:Does anyone know if Assos gear is true to the tag in its sizing? As opposed to some of the Italian manufacturers which are quite a bit smaller in size than the tag suggests?

It's true to the European sizing - same as the Italian in other words.
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

RonK wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:Does anyone know if Assos gear is true to the tag in its sizing? As opposed to some of the Italian manufacturers which are quite a bit smaller in size than the tag suggests?

It's true to the European sizing - same as the Italian in other words.

Cheers
User avatar
Kwaichang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

RonK wrote:Topic discussed at some length here only last week. Get the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 on closeout at bicycling.hub


Found it. My taptalk on iPad doesn't have a great search function...
User avatar
Kwaichang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Kwaichang wrote:
RonK wrote:Topic discussed at some length here only last week. Get the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 on closeout at bicycling.hub


Found it. My taptalk on iPad doesn't have a great search function...


Google is the better option. If you use the search term 'rain jacket site:bicycles.net.au/forums' you get this
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

RonK wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:Does anyone know if Assos gear is true to the tag in its sizing? As opposed to some of the Italian manufacturers which are quite a bit smaller in size than the tag suggests?

It's true to the European sizing - same as the Italian in other words.


Assos "Mille" jackets and jerseys are a more generous fit than their regular range.
User avatar
Kwaichang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Winter & Rain jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:
RonK wrote:Topic discussed at some length here only last week. Get the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 on closeout at bicycling.hub


Found it. My taptalk on iPad doesn't have a great search function...


Google is the better option. If you use the search term 'rain jacket site:bicycles.net.au/forums' you get this

Cheers thanks for the tip!
User avatar
Kwaichang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter