Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

ldrcycles

Re: Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 pm

il padrone wrote: Lots of people posting on here would think little of paying $3,000 for their favourite dream bike, but don't seem to see the value in paying $150 for a really top-quality jersey.
I don't see the value in a $150 jersey when the ones I have from Cell are great quality, really comfortable, and only cost me $30. I've got $20 knicks from them that are a lot more comfortable than $99 Specialized or $150 (or $190 I cant remember) Giordana items.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:50 pm

il padrone wrote:I would be wary of saying over-priced - they are very nicely made, from top-quality materials,
They're over-priced. You only have to look at similar cycle clothing companies with equivalent standards/materials/quality/innovation to see that the Rapha garments have an additional "exclusivity" tax.

In my opinion Vulpine are much better than Rapha (for example) and achieve most of their marketing through community events, word-of-mouth, solid reviews, etc.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Do those bagging the rapha gear own any?
I don't but ride with a few who do own their kit. They are happy.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 pm

JonoMarshall wrote:In my opinion Vulpine are much better than Rapha (for example) and achieve most of their marketing through community events, word-of-mouth, solid reviews, etc.
Good to know of anther supplier with similar (non-trade team) clothing :)

Just a quick check on prices - my fave merino base layer - Vulpine's closest is a round-neck merino T-shirt. 55 pounds from Vulpine, exactly the same price as the $80 from Rapha. Much of a muchness.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
il padrone wrote: Lots of people posting on here would think little of paying $3,000 for their favourite dream bike, but don't seem to see the value in paying $150 for a really top-quality jersey.
I don't see the value in a $150 jersey when the ones I have from Cell are great quality, really comfortable, and only cost me $30. I've got $20 knicks from them that are a lot more comfortable than $99 Specialized or $150 (or $190 I cant remember) Giordana items.

Case in point ??? :P :mrgreen:
il padrone wrote:Many women will drop £300 on a dress at the drop of a hat. Blokes spend £300 routinely to replace the tyres on their car. But those same people will walk into a LBS and quibble at $10 for pair of mitts "they're only worth $5"

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Jerseys are important but in my terms knicks are the most important piece of attire a cyclist can wear. I've got knicks from $50 to $100 (discounted from $170) and I can assure you the higher priced ones (a certain Canadian company) are so far ahead of the cheaper knicks in saving body weariness and comfort after a 120K ride that I would gladly pay full price to replace them. Short rides, 30 to 80k rides you can wear anything but 100K+ rides is when the booty meets the saddle and good knicks become critical as far as I'm concerned.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am

il padrone wrote:the same price as the $80 from Rapha. Much of a muchness.
You may be right there, in my head Vulpine were cheaper for some reason. (I'd like to think Vulpine are still doing small runs hence the cost, but that's probably not the case.)
warthog1 wrote:Do those bagging the rapha gear own any?
Yep, as do many friends, no-one's paid full price for it though (there were constant Rapha sales in London). The quality is good.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:31 pm

duds2u wrote: Jerseys are important but in my terms knicks are the most important piece of attire a cyclist can wear. I've got knicks from $50 to $100 (discounted from $170) and I can assure you the higher priced ones (a certain Canadian company) are so far ahead of the cheaper knicks in saving body weariness and comfort after a 120K ride that I would gladly pay full price to replace them. Short rides, 30 to 80k rides you can wear anything but 100K+ rides is when the booty meets the saddle and good knicks become critical as far as I'm concerned.
I notice the difference between my beloved Cell knicks and anything else as soon as I get on the bike. The longest i've done so far is 260k but even 40k is not particularly comfortable with the Specialized ones, i'd be crippled if I tried a long ride with those. Presumably I have especially picky undercarriage :) .

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Yes, a lot of the 'big names' are really not as great as they are made out to be. That's why all my knicks are Ground Effect. Back in the 80s and 90s I used to wear Netti almost always - good enough quality but the lycra developed socially-unacceptable thin spots :oops: after about 2-3 years.

Then I ordered some Ground Effect gear - first time a phone order, goods arrived next day :D . After 5 years use I realised these knicks had outlasted the Nettis and still give good wear, and comfortable - I bought a second pair. After 14 years the first pair are still going well but looking a little rubbed - I have ordered a third pair and retired the old ones. GE FTW :mrgreen:

BTW, I ride plenty of rides in these knicks including multi-week tours and the occasional Audax 200-300km ride. I have no plans to buy anything other than GE for knicks. Not as cheap as Cell, but worth every dollar.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm pretty sure my first pair of knicks were Netti, bought from bicyclestore.com.au I think. Not much chop, very little padding. They got shredded in a crash.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 pm

ldrcycles wrote:They got shredded in a crash.
Not like you to fall off lochie!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 pm

:lol: :lol: I know, what are the odds? :lol:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 pm

I DO notice differences between knicks. It just hasn't seem to me, so far, to be corelated to brand or cost.

When I can't replace knicks with the same sort and size, I try another. If they work I buy them until they are no longer available. If they do not then I go out and try another pair, pronto. The fact that I haven't had to discard many says a lot about the folly of chasing expensive knicks.

PS In case there is some confusion on context, I have ridden a bike for far far longer than I have ridden the unicycle.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 pm

il padrone wrote:Yes, a lot of the 'big names' are really not as great as they are made out to be. That's why all my knicks are Ground Effect. Back in the 80s and 90s I used to wear Netti almost always - good enough quality but the lycra developed socially-unacceptable thin spots :oops: after about 2-3 years.

Then I ordered some Ground Effect gear - first time a phone order, goods arrived next day :D . After 5 years use I realised these knicks had outlasted the Nettis and still give good wear, and comfortable - I bought a second pair. After 14 years the first pair are still going well but looking a little rubbed - I have ordered a third pair and retired the old ones. GE FTW :mrgreen:

BTW, I ride plenty of rides in these knicks including multi-week tours and the occasional Audax 200-300km ride. I have no plans to buy anything other than GE for knicks. Not as cheap as Cell, but worth every dollar.
Pete,

Which model /style of Ground Effect nicks do you find best?

Mike

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 pm

I just have their base model Sputniks ($99). They have a couple of higher-spec models for extra $$$ but as I'm perfectly comfy with the Sputniks I don't see the need to spend the extra cash.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:55 pm

For me, Cell doesn't fit and is uncomfortable. The leg grippers and the padding are the worst, and the shoulder straps are too loose. Castelli seems to match my size better and is more comfortable.

Giordana is okay too. So I tend to stick with those two brands (and particular types from them).

Shoes I'm open to opinions on. My Bontrager ones aren't fitting me so well now. The sides of them rub against my ankles and that's not nice at all over longer rides.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 am

il padrone wrote:I just have their base model Sputniks ($99). They have a couple of higher-spec models for extra $$$ but as I'm perfectly comfy with the Sputniks I don't see the need to spend the extra cash.
Thanks Pete.

I agree that the Nettis don't seem to last as long as they used to.

Mike

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I didn't even know they sold cycling clothes until now. I got my last gear from T7 during the christmas sales. Cheap as and nice gear too.
Tell what clothing you picked up from them CC as I'm looking at getting some bibs from them. (please of course) :mrgreen:

I was hoping to give a review of their road shoes but Australia Post stuffed that up for me!!!!!!! :evil:

Foo
Sorry, missed this post in all the excitement.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/R7J ... cle-jersey
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/R7B ... bib-shorts

I am 187 cm tall, 85 kg. I think I got a large jersey which is on the tight side, but that is what I wanted. Really like the jersey.

I think I got XXL bibs which are right for height but ever so slightly large at the lower end (waist and butt). I would probably go XL next time but they are perfectly fine for commuting, which is what I use them for. I find them comfy and and well made.

They are $59.99 and $39.99 right now but on sale I paid $80.95 including a tube and shipping.