Titanium Flame

eldavo

Titanium Flame

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 am

For all the titanium bikes, even if it's not authentic, a graphics scheme replicating the heat effects possible would tip me over the edge to get such a Ti frame.

Here's a former lover with a pair of Ti Flame cans that started my fetish for it:

clydesmcdale

Re: Titanium Flame

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 am

Nice... But where would you have that applied? Chain stays? Seat stays ?

My next bike will be titanium for sure.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:17 am

Forks burning upwards, or typical front to rear as hotrod flames go.
When there are so many mock titanium finishes, this would be nice authentic visual cool cue until the stickers catch up ;)
On the hot mc exhaust there are no imposters

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Checkout Firefly bikes they do a ti frame with an anodized finish option.

Reckon they could probably do something for you.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks Jim, that is a very cool touch, get the effect without compromise, surprised they didn't use their name instead.
Only problem with really nice bikes and that particular location is not wanting any road grit to flick up onto it.
A clear frame protector as featured on my current build's chain stay could do the trick.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 pm

These are kind've closer to the colours ...

Have a look at their tumblr site - they can pretty much do whatever you want .... for a price.... and check out those welds are they neat or what ?
http://fireflybicycles.tumblr.com/archive

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Triton Bikes (from Russia) have done a few frames with the heat-affect oxide colouring from the welds left in place:

http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-discu ... ost8199572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boss

Postby boss » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Raw BMX frames go in and out of fashion, and are usually released with weld marks left in tact

I don't know about the full 'rainbow' treatment, reminds me of riceboy cannon exhausts. Steel welds aren't so flamboyant.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd reckon the guys at Baum could probably paint that up for you. ;)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Comedian wrote:I'd reckon the guys at Baum could probably paint that up for you. ;)
Or http://www.sprayyabike.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Guys it isn't paint, and Darren doesn't do it.

Not to mention Firefly is some what cheaper due to the exchange rate.

Comparing Firefly and Baum is a pointless exercise in splitting hairs, they are both top-self bikes and the builders are top of class.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm

I like that effect too. My glasses frame :-)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Heat does it to titanium. My titanium exhaust on my Lotus has a nice purple tinge. I guess you could hit the frame with an oxy torch?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Heat does it to titanium. My titanium exhaust on my Lotus has a nice purple tinge. I guess you could hit the frame with an oxy torch?

More pics please... :D

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Would heat treating a bike frame to the point of discolouration weaken it, strengthen it, make no difference? I know metal frames go though different processes of heating to gain strength but i wonder if taking a blow torch to a frame would do any damage.

I'm not going to try it on the Lynskey as i think it would look daft on a bike but each to their own. I'm curious as to the metallurgy of the thing though.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Somebody try it and please post results before and after :D

http://www.instructables.com/id/Anodize-Titanium/

I'm sure you'd need to practice it to get results like the pics above from firefly

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 am

Moots used to do something like it.
Ugly IMO.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:16 am

DaveOZ wrote:Heat does it to titanium. My titanium exhaust on my Lotus has a nice purple tinge. I guess you could hit the frame with an oxy torch?
Maybe. But as far as I can tell, Ti alloy is heat treated and may be affected too much for a frame material.
Maybe try it on your frame(s) and let us know how it goes. :wink:

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am

jimh wrote:Guys it isn't paint, and Darren doesn't do it.

Not to mention Firefly is some what cheaper due to the exchange rate.

Comparing Firefly and Baum is a pointless exercise in splitting hairs, they are both top-self bikes and the builders are top of class.
Jim - I just checked out Firefly's website... They are lovely looking bikes! I own a Baum Cubano but I have just added Firefly to my dream bike list!
Andrew

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:44 am

God I laugh at Aussies.
they seem to think that BAUM is the only company that can make a decent ti frame.
IMO they are nothing special in the ti world.
Just well welded ti and steel frames with interesting paint jobs.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:02 pm

sumgy wrote:God I laugh at Aussies.
they seem to think that BAUM is the only company that can make a decent ti frame.
Ok, how many other TI frame manufacturers do TI road frames at 1kg?

I'm sure there are others, but I'm unclear as to who they might be...

Further on this.. TI is hard to work and 100's of people have lost their lives in aviation due to shortfalls in manufacturing processes ... with the lesson that TI must be done well.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Comedian wrote:
The problem is that you are sacrificing strength and durability while building a bike that you will then need to add weights to so that you meet the UCI's specifications. And nobody is going to tell me that the difference between a 1kg Baum and a 1.4kg Moots would have any impact at all outside of competition.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 pm

London Boy wrote:
Comedian wrote:
The problem is that you are sacrificing strength and durability while building a bike that you will then need to add weights to so that you meet the UCI's specifications. And nobody is going to tell me that the difference between a 1kg Baum and a 1.4kg Moots would have any impact at all outside of competition.
Yeah... I'm not so sure. Having recently moved to a lighter bike.. despite being 1kg lighter it rode a LOT better. My discussion with Baum has indicated that their medium Coretto frames are around the 1kg mark. One in my size should be about 1100, which I considered to be comparable to most good carbon frames which will allow me to get a bike out at 7kg or a smidge less without going too crazy. Should still be stiff yet ride well.

I think that if someone can build a very light TI frame, that is stiff and yet rides well... isn't that something to celebrate? Even more so if they are a local. I'd hate to see tall poppy syndrome come into play here...

Sumgy.. do you have some association with a local distributor of Chinese TI frames amongst other stuff? Always heard good things about them too and saw one out at Nundah one day.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Comedian wrote:
Yeah... I'm not so sure. Having recently moved to a lighter bike.. despite being 1kg lighter it rode a LOT better. My discussion with Baum has indicated that their medium Coretto frames are around the 1kg mark. One in my size should be about 1100, which I considered to be comparable to most good carbon frames which will allow me to get a bike out at 7kg or a smidge less without going too crazy. Should still be stiff yet ride well.

I think that if someone can build a very light TI frame, that is stiff and yet rides well... isn't that something to celebrate? Even more so if they are a local. I'd hate to see tall poppy syndrome come into play here...

Sumgy.. do you have some association with a local distributor of Chinese TI frames amongst other stuff? Always heard good things about them too and saw one out at Nundah one day.
No. Koiled frames are made in the USA.
It was quite probably mine you saw at Nundah (it is in the classified's here).
My only association with Koiled these days is that I own one.

Look, I am not saying that BAUM are bad. Far from it.
Just that Aussies seem to think that BAUM is the be all and end all of Ti and they are far from that too.
BAUM are great bikes but you pay a decent premium versus many of the well known foreign manufacturers.
You would likely find that the SL version of a Moots is about the same weight.
If you use the same tubes with ti you are most likely going to hit a similar weight.
And owning a 7kg bike is great for just that (owning a 7kg bike).
My Moots and my Baum are both right around 7kg with Mad Fibers installed.
I win just as many races with the MF's as I do with my Fulcrum 1's (none). :mrgreen:

And weight has very little to do with ride quality IMO.
Geometry and tubing (in the case of ti) will change those characteristics.
My Moots and my Koiled ride very differently to each other with the Koiled being a much smoother ride than the Moots (and the Moots is pretty darn smooth).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 pm

sumgy wrote:
Comedian wrote:

No. Koiled frames are made in the USA.
It was quite probably mine you saw at Nundah (it is in the classified's here).
My only association with Koiled these days is that I own one.

Look, I am not saying that BAUM are bad. Far from it.
Just that Aussies seem to think that BAUM is the be all and end all of Ti and they are far from that too.
BAUM are great bikes but you pay a decent premium versus many of the well known foreign manufacturers.
You would likely find that the SL version of a Moots is about the same weight.
If you use the same tubes with ti you are most likely going to hit a similar weight.
And owning a 7kg bike is great for just that (owning a 7kg bike).
My Moots and my Baum are both right around 7kg with Mad Fibers installed.
I win just as many races with the MF's as I do with my Fulcrum 1's (none). :mrgreen:

And weight has very little to do with ride quality IMO.
Geometry and tubing (in the case of ti) will change those characteristics.
My Moots and my Koiled ride very differently to each other with the Koiled being a much smoother ride than the Moots (and the Moots is pretty darn smooth).
It's nice to hear from someone that has owned a number of different TI bikes. It's really difficult to meaningfully get to know these bikes without owning them at some time.

I'm a bit divided on how much of a premium Baum charge. I was paddling around the Lynskey site and found the Helix was around 4k raw, and with a basic paint job it was pretty much 5 with similar inclusions to the Baum. Baum paintwork is in another class though, and the Baum is a custom frame and paint job so the waters get a little muddy. I can't help but wonder whether some of the price advantages of high end frames are being helped by the AUD being at an all time high. If the AUD were to revert to more typical long term levels in the 80's ... then I think things would be far closer.