Orbea Ordu GDR/GDI vs GLT/SLT 2013

Brenchen

Orbea Ordu GDR/GDI vs GLT/SLT 2013

Postby Brenchen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:01 am

I googled around to try to find a direct review and/or comparison for the two types of bikes above, they are both supposedly Tri bikes, but I couldn't work out what the difference is.

Surely they look obviously different, but very minimal information were said about the use possibly? Or what are they both designed for? Is the GDR/GDI designed more for Triathlons while GLT/SLT designed more for TimeTrials?

Why did Orbea commit to the two designs? And both of them supposedly have 2013 model.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

ray

Re: Orbea Ordu GDR/GDI vs GLT/SLT 2013

Postby ray » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:43 pm

Brenchen wrote:I googled around to try to find a direct review and/or comparison for the two types of bikes above, they are both supposedly Tri bikes, but I couldn't work out what the difference is.

Surely they look obviously different, but very minimal information were said about the use possibly? Or what are they both designed for? Is the GDR/GDI designed more for Triathlons while GLT/SLT designed more for TimeTrials?

Why did Orbea commit to the two designs? And both of them supposedly have 2013 model.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Been looking to get a Tri/TT bike later this year so I have been doing a bit of research.

I think mainly a difference in components and frame model.

Looking at the Orbea Aus http://www.orbea.com/au-en/bicycles/#road/familia-ordu and US http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/#road/familia-ordu sites it looks like for the Australian market it is a mix of the new 2013 ordu frame (new design, more aero and fits a larger range of riders http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_ ... _3029.html) - GDI2 and GDR. Where the GLT (better wheels and stem compared to the SLT - I think frames are the same)/SLT is based on the pre-2013 frame (top tube slopes down towards the front).

Been the cynic I wonder if Aus is just a dumping ground for the older models/frames?

If you are at either ends of the fit spectrum the 2012 frame might not work for you. For example: I'm 5 foot 4 on a good day and the 2012 xs ordu frame would not work for me (too much stack) but with the new 2013 xs ordu frame with 650c wheels it would fit me fine - either case for me the XS isn't available in Aus (or pretty much any 650c TT/Tri bike with the exception of Trek and Cervelo or 700c specialized). Best to get fitted for a Tri/TT bike before getting a bike. If you are standard height you will have a selection of many bikes :)

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm

On an initial guess, I think I should be able to fit a 48cm, I'm about 5"5, I understand the different components and shape, except why do they have two types, are one more optimised for Tri and the other for TT or are there something else that motivated them to go with the two designs?

ray

Postby ray » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Brenchen wrote:On an initial guess, I think I should be able to fit a 48cm, I'm about 5"5, I understand the different components and shape, except why do they have two types, are one more optimised for Tri and the other for TT or are there something else that motivated them to go with the two designs?
Both bikes are targetted for Tri and TT but the company's focus is on the bigger tri market. The Orbea Ordu Gold has a non-legal fork for UCI events (i.e. do you require UCI compliance with TTs? Though for this case you can get a UCI compliant fork). The two types? Simply one is a new frame design for 2013 which Orbea are marketing as their top line Tri/TT bike. The older frame is used for the cheaper models but over time we will see the new frame trickle down the range (already seen in some markets).

As you mention you are 5"5 so likely a candidate for 650c wheeled bikes. Looking at the geometry of the Orbea Silver - older frame (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame ... 9_a4091735) vs Orbea Gold - new frame (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame ... 35183.html) most likely a 48cm/XS in either case. Are you all legs or more torso? If you are more torso with shorter legs the Orbea Silver with 700c wheels might be too tall and you might not be able to achieve your optimal saddle position to your pads. So many questions on fit - are you flexible? what type of events will you be doing - sprint, oly distance, half-ironman, ironman? Likely you will have a more aggressive/lower position for sprint vs a more upright (relative) for ironman. Best advice as per your other thread is getting fitted 1st for a tri/tt bike and then look at bikes that you can fit/work with. You can't really rely on your road bike size as the equivalent tri/tt bike - a good starting point though. Don't be surprised if you need to consider a bike with 650c wheels. Something to ponder if you need to consider 650c vs 700c - at the end of the day do you want a bike which fits, is comfortable and stable (which you will be quicker on) vs a bike which has 700c wheels that isn't as stable and you can't get into a more aggressive position but on the flipside you can easily swap wheels/spares with your other 700c bikes?

*edit* - this link from your other thread sums up the difference with the new and old frame design http://contenderbicycles.com/blog/nicks ... rbea-ordu/.

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:13 pm

I see, thanks very much for your detailed reply. 650c sounds more suitable I guess. My road bike now is 700c and its pushing it to be in my fit (fit done through biometric fitter). However, I'll take that step back now and reassess my needs. I am more torso, shorter in legs, that's why a small framed roadbike struggled to fit me.

Thanks again for the reply, very useful indeed :)