Best online mapping software to record touring routes?

Scotness

Best online mapping software to record touring routes?

Postby Scotness » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm

What's everyone's advice for the best site online to record touring routes? I only know of bikemap.net and google maps - but there are probably others as well. Any suggestions I'm keen to hear....

I find bikemap.net a bit clunky, but haven't used google maps for bike routes. Bikemap seems to sit on top of google maps anyway - but I find the route profile feature a bit annoying - does anyone know how to switch it off? Also is there a way you can export from it to google earth, I couldn't find one.

Scot

RonK

Re: Best online mapping software to record touring routes?

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:32 pm

I've tried quite a few different mapping sites. Always end up back at Google Maps.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:39 pm

I've used http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; before but not for touring, just planning fun rides.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

I like http://www.ridewithgps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , u can generate cue sheets, download to garmin etc, tends to overestimate climbing but not hugely

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Scotness wrote: Also is there a way you can export from it to google earth, I couldn't find one.
When you have a route displayed select the 'GPX Export' icon on the right. When the pop-up box shows up it says:
To export this route for use in (most) GPS devices choose the format GPX, for use with Google Earth choose KML. Right-click and select "Save as..".
Just right-click on the KML icon and select "save link as". This will download the kml file to wherever you wish.
Last edited by il padrone on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 pm

For my last trip I used http://www.gpsies.com, I could then access them easily on the iphone via their app and also download the GPX files. These files I would use on the mudmaps app and also my garmin. Here is one of the day's I created prior to going on tour example map

A couple of things I like with Gpsies is that it does seem to allow you to navigate along trails (e.g. fire trails, paths) and lets you to use different map layers besides google. This can be useful, as google does not always show the relevant trail that you might be wanting to use. It also provides you with an elevation profile, which I like. The only thing it seems to be missing, if you need one, is a cue sheet option.

Scotness

Postby Scotness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll look into them

Scot

rama

Postby rama » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:23 pm

A few months ago, a forum member posted an "innovative" and cheap method of keeping track of a route using a smartphone and pinning the location marks on Google Maps. The nice thing about it was the absence of satellite hardware or fancy software, though cellphone coverage was obviously needed.
I recall that forum member posting an example from a north-south route in the southeast corner of the continent.
Anyone remember which thread was it? I have searched the forum, but could not get to it.
Apologies for disrupting the thread.
Angelos