Second race for me, first for my daughter.

tuco

Second race for me, first for my daughter.

Postby tuco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:03 pm

20km time trial.

It jumped from 15km to 20kms. It was an out and back course with a small hill at the 9km which continued to the turn around point.

Had a good run out, probably averaging 32-33km/h. I only had 3 riders pass me. (I'm only D grade) Having a rider pass was an advantage, although sitting the required 25m behind, I could still use them to pace myself.
Coming back was a different story. :( We had a head wind all the way.
I dropped as low as 25km/h at around the 14km mark but managed to pick it back up to 28+ over the last few kilometres.

I felt good after the race until I cooled down and found the tops of my hamstrings were quite sore. I don't know if it was the effort I put in or the fact my legs were tiring so I tried a few different muscles to push and pull the pedals.

The time on my computer was 2 minutes slower than the official time so I'm sticking to the official time of 38m 51s giving me an average of about 31.1km/h. I was aiming for 30km/h so I'm happy with the result. I believe I was 3rd or 4th in my grade. Hard to say as they read the names and time out in the start order not the results order.

We had Ruth Corsett in the race. She's the current Australian road champion and I didn't object to her passing me but I was a little dishearted when a 60+ year old sailed past like I standing still and to make it worse he rode 30kms to the race start and I drove there.

My daughter did a lot better. Lucky juniors only had to do 4km out and back.
It was her first race and overall (boys and girls) she came second, beaten only by a filthy boy and she easily beat the other girls.
She would have almost beaten the first placed boy but she wasn't sure which marker to turn around so she went for the furtherest one and then hit it so lost a bit of time by riding further than the rest.

She averaged 30.65km/h which isn't too bad for 13 years old.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Great effort Tuco. I love the idea of a TT and am working on the weight and fitness to start entering some. The ATTA appears quite big in WA which is good, but looking at the website, they have some nasty rides (Lance type stuff I reckon :shock: ) that I won't be entering anytime soon.

Luckily you still beat your daughter. I know a guy who is slightly better than his kid, but his kid has just turned 13 and is now starting to improve big time. He can see hours of teasing heading his way the first time the kid beats him.

Luckily, my two dogs can't ride bikes. They can run faster than me, jump higher, and are taller (Great Danes!), but I will always be able to ride faster!! I'm pathetic aren't I? :roll:

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Excellent riding Tuco and your daughter too.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Great stuff Tuco, well ridden. Top result for your daughter too. :D

When's the next one?

tuco

Postby tuco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Great stuff Tuco, well ridden. Top result for your daughter too. :D

When's the next one?
Thanks all. It was bloody hard work but I really enjoyed it.

Two weeks is a criterium then it's almost one a week until about August or September.

I determined the sore upper hamstrings was due to riding style in the second half of the race. I was sitting back on the saddle and the seat was pushing on that area. I may have to make the seat higher.

I'll HAVE to lose some weight. I read a very good article some Yanks wrote after doing tests which showed how much time can be saved for every kilo (pound for them) less weight the rider had to push around. It was a surprisingly large amount of time. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again even if only for inspiration.

Luckily the kids level out at about 13 as they start to grow but when they hit about 16 then us parents are left for dead. I've got a few years before I have to give up because my daughter is faster.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:02 pm

tuco wrote:I'll HAVE to lose some weight. I read a very good article some Yanks wrote after doing tests which showed how much time can be saved for every kilo (pound for them) less weight the rider had to push around. It was a surprisingly large amount of time. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again even if only for inspiration.
That sounds interesting, do you know where the article is?

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Re: Second race for me, first for my daughter.

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:22 am

Well done Tuco!
tuco wrote: ... I was a little dishearted when a 60+ year old sailed past like I standing still and to make it worse he rode 30kms to the race start and I drove there ...
What can I say - welcome to the world of Vets racing. I get down-hearted too (I experience that situation regularly), but I console myself by saying that 'they' (nothing like a bit of adverserial language) have nothing else to do but ride now that they're (there's that word again) retired, so they (might as well keep it going) should be able to handle it.
Around my Club, it is pretty widely acknowledged that the 55 - 60 year old group is pretty tough, because retirees only get better with a bit more time on their hands - especially those starting off a reasonable base in the first place. If you add a propensity to spoil themselves with new toys (and the wherewithal to do it), then they are a very tough bunch.

I haven't been able to beat me eldest (he's 19) in anything for awhile, so congratulations on keeping your daughter at bay.

tuco

Re: Second race for me, first for my daughter.

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:16 am

LuckyPierre wrote:Well done Tuco!
tuco wrote: ... I was a little dishearted when a 60+ year old sailed past like I standing still and to make it worse he rode 30kms to the race start and I drove there ...
What can I say - welcome to the world of Vets racing. I get down-hearted too (I experience that situation regularly), but I console myself by saying that 'they' (nothing like a bit of adverserial language) have nothing else to do but ride now that they're (there's that word again) retired, so they (might as well keep it going) should be able to handle it.
Around my Club, it is pretty widely acknowledged that the 55 - 60 year old group is pretty tough, because retirees only get better with a bit more time on their hands - especially those starting off a reasonable base in the first place. If you add a propensity to spoil themselves with new toys (and the wherewithal to do it), then they are a very tough bunch.

I haven't been able to beat me eldest (he's 19) in anything for awhile, so congratulations on keeping your daughter at bay.
Yep, retirement. Can't wait. I could retire now but my wife reckons she couldn't put up with me around the house.

I rode with this same guy only last Wednesday and I beat the pants (knicks) off him going up a mighty steep hill.

It was funny (had to be there funny) really. We jumped on the back of this group and they started heading towards a steep hill then turned right at the last minute and I said to Megan (my daughter), "That was lucky, I thought we were going up that steep hill."
100 metres further along they turned left. The rotten buggers had a steeper hill in mind. I was lagging up the back making sure Megan was okay so started up the hill second last (out of eight) but was third up, Megan was fourth. Take that old folks!!!