Another slap in the face for Brisbane cyclists

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 am

Now I see, its a duplication of the same bridge. I'm wondering how many pedestrians will actually be using it?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Well if it is segregated with the pedestrians having the view side I am a bit happier as long as Cyclist are given at least 2.5m wide path of travel.
Why the hell are they going to slap a 10kmph limit on it that is stupid. I am not suggesting that cyclist fly down past pedestrians at 80kmph but a 10kmph limit is rediculous. that would mean that they expect it for use to take 12 minutes to cross it. I personally feel that it does not require a speed limit. Most cyclists are sensible about speed.
I think this need some more research.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:22 pm

beauyboy wrote:Why the hell are they going to slap a 10kmph limit on it that is stupid.
Hi Donald

From the quote given previously it was a recommended speed not a speed limit.

Regards
Andrew

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:30 pm

I know but pedestrians do not see it like that, the general public do not see it like that and the media does not see it like that. I can see a Headline on "THE COURIER MAIL" saying "cyclists more than 8 times limit".
People ignore the law (eg real speed limits) when they want to but miss understand it when it is convenient(eg the yellow signs in front of riverside).

That is why I do not think there should be a posted speed weather advisory or other.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Based on that logic, perhaps motorists should also have a 10kph speed limit on any road where the footpath is adjacent to the vehicle lane.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 pm

oh but if a motorist happens to hit someone it is an accident, but if a cyclist hits someone it is reckless behavour.

god i am a sarcastic person

Donald

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:52 pm

You're right to be sarcastic. It's true... :roll:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:56 pm

... cynical too ....

;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:02 pm

No, just a realist :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

What some would call sarcasm or cynicism is, IMO better labelled life experience.

From what I've read so far you blokes'll end up with a wide cattle track with the odd bicycle sign. A painted line will no more stop 'em stepping back "for a better view" than the nonexistent enforcement and wet fish threat of nominal fines will.

10km/h, advisory or not, fails to pay any heed to the physics of riding.

Shaun.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ricco

Another slap in the face for Brisbane Cyclist

Postby Ricco » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:57 am

:P Bikeways and people on the same path, I wonder, maybe not, gives rise to healthy debate here though it would seem.

Respect by users for the others rights will always be an issue.

And won't governments always sway to the mighty dollar for development and cyclist can not contribute in this way, and never will, at least in any tangible way.

So you better get used to the treatment we receive because the minority will always be treated this way until the balance changes.

Yes, I have clipped the odd person on a cycle only path, and been run over by those inconsiderate motorists.

It would be nice to see the odd Politician, Police person, or cranky driver ride a bike on some of our roads. Then, hold on to their views that treat cyclist the way they do afterwards.

Our law states the way cyclists are to act on our roads, and provision is made to fine us when we do not comply.

I am yet to witness a motorist, or anyone elso for that matter, fined for treating a cyclist in a way that in dangered their life or did not comply with the law.

Might be different if it was their kid or loved ones life that was being put on the line.

Minority(groups) and perspective!

Gee, it's so hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh up here on this hobby horse, can someone give us a hand down, tell me again, how did I get up here anyway.

Have a great day all. :lol:

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:26 pm

I can tell you right now that it is the same climb/descent as the original Gateway bridge, pier for pier......

So yes, the downhill side will be fast, combine that with riders and pedestrians coming up, and you can see why 4.5 metres isn't very much. Unfortunatly, nothing can be done about that now.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 am

4.5m won't be too bad. I think the ANZAC Bridge in Sydney has a shared path of similar dimensions. I ride over there 3 mornings a week and have not had any problems.

Crossing the Iron Cove Bridge is a complete other story.

Painted lines are relatively pointless (IMO) as no-one (cyclists and pedestrians) seems to take much notice of them. The Iron Cove Bay Walk has this and I find that I am constantly slowing/stopping because there a people walking in the designated bike zone to the extent, sometimes, that it is safer to ride in the pedestrian zone!

The other question is how many people will actually walk over the Gateway Bridge anyway?