My first crash.

thenickandrew

My first crash.

Postby thenickandrew » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:41 pm

So.

Just started out with the new road bike.

Had a very enjoyable first few rides up and down the coast, (I live at west beach).

Went out today for a quick circuit that had me going through Glenelg. I've gone to right turn off of Jetty road, Then it happened. I got my wheel caught in the tram tracks at 30kph+ and hit the deck like a tonne of bricks. Before the crash, I had actually factored this in and had thought I had the correct measures in place not to do exactly what I did. But no. It happened and it happened in a spectacular blaze of glory, water bottle, tool kit, lights went everywhere.

But I got up and thought... hey, that didn't hurt nearly as much as I had expected it to, I knew the first crash was inevitable and was expecting a clip stack or something of the sort, I certainly didn't expect to come off at that speed. What hurt more was the embarrassment of 50 something people looking on from the cafe on the corner, including a few cyclists. I knew this was a real newbie way to crash.

I got up and moved my bike to the footpath to check for any issues, breaks were a little out of place but other than that. It looked okay. I got on my bike and hesitantly started riding home, as soon as I took off, god decided it was a good idea to heap a bunch of water down on me too, the water contacting my injuries and the huge adrenalin rush wearing off had caused me to feel physical pain, I was bleeding quite profusely from my elbow and knee by the time I had got home I had a stained top and noticed I had ripped shorts.

But none of this mattered. I stood at home my girlfriend said "you look like a drowned rat" but all I could think of was how I felt the complete opposite.

I felt alive.

I love cycling.

Jordan

Re: My first crash.

Postby Jordan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm

thenickandrew wrote: But none of this mattered. I stood at home my girlfriend said "you look like a drowned rat" but all I could think of was how I felt the complete opposite.

I felt alive.

I love cycling.
Not the way I saw that sentence going :wink:
Nonetheless inspiring post, it's got to happen eventually

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 pm

If you can say that just after a fall, then you really have the bug!!
Welcome - you are amongst friends here!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Cool story,
Glad you are relatively ok.

Cam

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

From what I understand, tram tracks certainly take down quite a few cyclists! Good to hear you are okay.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 pm

Bad luck on the accident. Mend quickly and get straight back on the bike.

You've got the addiction! 8)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 am

Bugger! :( Tram tracks you gotta love them, not! :x

Foo

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 am

Sorry to hear about that Nick. I was in Glenelg on Saturday, but not on Sunday, so unfortunately I missed your human cannonball routine. I hope someone from the cafe offered some help?

If it makes you feel any better, I crashed *twice* the very first time I went out on my brand new road bike

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we'll see you on Tuesday night?

arkle

thenickandrew

Postby thenickandrew » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am

Unfortunately no one from the cafe really bothered. Someone picked up my light off the road as I hobbled over to the foot path.

I actually got up rather quickly as my adrenaline kicked in and my brain said "save any more embarrassment, go hide on the foot path over there".

I'm keen for Tuesday, busy work roster that might have me working late. I'll advise :)