So i built a trike...so far hasn't fallen apart

idw

So i built a trike...so far hasn't fallen apart

Postby idw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Well over the last few weeks I've been building a trike from the atomic zombie warrior plans with very few changes to his design. I'm still waiting on some parts to come in from some retailers celebrating chinese new year so its only rolling atm. I'm pretty impressed so far it hasn't fallen apart :P

What do you guys think? It's come in at 18kg but I'm still wating chain and cables and to finish fabricating the chain guide (not that i know what a good weight would be). I'm going to see how it go's before buying a new groupset, for know it has an acera group off an old mountainbike.

John Lewis

Re: So i built a trike...so far hasn't fallen apart

Postby John Lewis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 am

Hi idw,
18kg sounds OK. My LogoTrike is 20kg.
I have built a couple of AZ designs and had no trouble with them My DeltaWof came in at about25 kg I think but I used 20mm axles and a few other heavier bits.

AZ designs are all pretty good and the forum is very helpful if you have a problem.
That looks like a Warrior you are building. A friend here built one and it ran pretty well even though it was pretty roughly built.

Keep us posted on your progress and test rides.

John

idw

Postby idw » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 pm

I've been very happy so far with it! my first impresions were it's very twitchy above 40km/h. I'm going to have to spend more time riding the trike and let the trek get abit dusty it's too much fun. I haven't tried climbing any hills yet, the easiest climb out of town back home is 8% and im not very fit anymore. cant believe i used to climb it everyday on a bmx when i was younger. although the first 500m is 13%

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 am

What amount of toe in do you have on the front wheels?
I am lead to believe that insufficient can cause twitchiness.
It need to be set with your weight in the trike. I think my Logo has about 3mm.
Obviously you don't want toe out as it causes a lot of drag. Excess toe in is not good either.

John

idw

Postby idw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 pm

I havent any toe in or out, I'll give it a try with 3mm, thanks for your willingness to help John Lewis.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:29 am

Wow thats extremely impressive work there. Props for giving it a go. I am trying to decide whether I want to build one or buy one. The track I usually take is quite bumpy/gravel up towards carrum in Melbourne.

Would you mind if I asked how much it set you back to make all up?
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

idw that is a awesome build congrats for giving it a crack and glad it's turned out great so far.

Ricky

idw

Postby idw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, and sorry for the late reply adrian_d I spent about $500 all up that was mainly rims/spokes/hubs/brakes/tyres. I found most of the components wholesale and everything else just what was left in the shed from old mtb and steel roadies. Depending on what you've already got could build one relatively cheap, making arms to hold v brakes instead of disk's would bring costs down as well.

Pretty happy with it though, I have cut off and repositioned the chain guide and bb to get the chain sit in the front derailleur right. the AZ plans are pretty good unless you want trigger shifters and triple's on this design

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi idw,
Nice to hear the trike is going OK.
I'm Building an AZ Street Fox at present for a friend.
Its at the rolling frame stage but my little welder died and they reckon they cant do anything about repairs for a couple of months as their repair guy is away. Have to have a look myself.
Its a DC inverter job so don't know if I can do much. If its just a switch or dry joint I should be able to fix it though.

Ike cut up the warrior he built and made it into an upright trike for running round his big shed.
He has since bought a nice Greenspeed trike.

John