I need a goal

Apple

I need a goal

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 am

I would like to aim for something. Train for a ride which is beautiful and fun.
Something that is not busy with thousands of riders. Can anyone recommend me a ride which would be about 100km with moderate hills and not a race? I am happy to fly to the state it is held in.

queequeg

Re: I need a goal

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am

Apple wrote:I would like to aim for something. Train for a ride which is beautiful and fun.
Something that is not busy with thousands of riders. Can anyone recommend me a ride which would be about 100km with moderate hills and not a race? I am happy to fly to the state it is held in.
Bike North Century Challenge at the end of the month. Teams of 2 to 4 riders over distances between 60km and 210km. No racing, go your own pace with a small team that you stick with. No support on the course, but a free lunch at the start/finish in Wahroonga Park.

Only debatable bit is what you call "moderate hills". The BNCC courses all incorporate the 3 Gorges. The 100km course adds Mt White. There is a new 120km course that I think just extends 10km past Mt White. The 160km course does the 100 and 60km course back to back, and the 210km course extends the 100km course out to Peats Ridge, then does the 60km course back to back.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks , those hill are fine. So I just need to get some friends together for that. (the friend part is the hard one) So can I go solo? I will check it out on the web. :D Maybe I should go on one or two of their rides.
looks Iike I need to be a member. That is not a problem.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 am

Apple wrote:Thanks , those hill are fine. So I just need to get some friends together for that. (the friend part is the hard one) So can I go solo? I will check it out on the web. :D Maybe I should go on one or two of their rides.
You need at least one other rider to officially enter. I also forgot to add that you need to be a bike north member, which is $35 for a year. Other than the BNCC, all bike north rides are free to the general public, but if you ride them often it is kind of bad form not to join up.

This year they are running a match up service, so check out the bike north website for details. They'll find you a rider.

Bike North is a social riding group, not a cycling club doing crazy training rides. There is a ride/pace for just about everyone.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 am

queequeg wrote: This year they are running a match up service, so check out the bike north website for details. They'll find you a rider.

Bike North is a social riding group, not a cycling club doing crazy training rides. There is a ride/pace for just about everyone.
I will, look them up. I have seen them around when I ride, they seem to be about my pace. The only thing I noticed is that they start very late. Are they also a branch of the mugachino?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 am

Apple wrote:
queequeg wrote: This year they are running a match up service, so check out the bike north website for details. They'll find you a rider.

I will, look them up. I have seen them around when I ride, they seem to be about my pace. The only thing I noticed is that they start very late. Are they also a branch of the mugachino?
No, Bike North are their own entity. As a social group they do tend to start later. That causes issues for me because going on a Bike North Ride means not being home until almost lunch time (by the time I have ridden back to Dural!). It also means that a 90km Bike North Ride from Eastwood becomes 120km for me. You can join/leave bike north rides at any place (prearranged with ride leader). When I lived in Marsfield the Eastwood ride starts were perfect. They have rides starting all over the place, but Eastwood/Turramurra/Meadowbank are quite common.

When I ride solo I am out of the house at 5am and have almost completed my 100km+ ride just as most others are getting started.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 am

queequeg wrote:When I ride solo I am out of the house at 5am and have almost completed my 100km+ ride just as most others are getting started.
I am in the same boat, I start early, I dont like rides that start at 8 am. I am almost finished by the time they start. The clocks are changing next week so it will be even nicer for me.

I love being home just as the family wakes up :D

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am

Have you heard of this website called Strava? I've been told it's good for setting goals, downloading rides, and comparing yourself with others.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 am

Christine Tham wrote:Have you heard of this website called Strava? I've been told it's good for setting goals, downloading rides, and comparing yourself with others.
No, I will leave that one for you :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am

Come south and do a weekend run to Frankston and back via Beach Rd.
I promise to wheelsuck all the way :wink:

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 am

Here is one that was challenging Apple, i hurt this day in the heat.

http://app.strava.com/activities/35903921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 pm

TimW wrote:Here is one that was challenging Apple, i hurt this day in the heat.

http://app.strava.com/activities/35903921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Tim, but that is a group of mates :D I have done something like that with two friends about 6 years ago. But I need something to make me train for and just pack and go. I don't want to do
the TDU again as It was packed and I found it overwellming. I did enjoy it though. The amount of cyclists was to much for me, I am a crowd phobic :oops:

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm

I am a crowd phobic
same here :wink:

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:25 pm

TimW wrote:
I am a crowd phobic
same here :wink:
LOL that's because you and I both spend so much time being solo. I love my own company. :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm

http://www.amysgranfondo.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but there might be too many people for you. I did this last year and it was the most wel organised cycling event I've ever done. You nominate a category that you think your average speed will be and start with others in that category so you are all similar in ability, not hares and tortises which is dangerous IMO.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Come join me for this....

http://app.strava.com/activities/46596240

No crowds, but plenty of great climbing and scenery we could add in more hills if you wanted a bigger challenge!! :wink:

Or...

http://www.gcfoc.com.au

More crowds but a bigger hurtfest!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.amysgranfondo.org.au/ but there might be too many people for you. I did this last year and it was the most wel organised cycling event I've ever done. You nominate a category that you think your average speed will be and start with others in that category so you are all similar in ability, not hares and tortises which is dangerous IMO.
Thanks Ross I will look into that one
Come join me for this....

No crowds, but plenty of great climbing and scenery we could add in more hills if you wanted a bigger challenge!!

Or...

http://www.gcfoc.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
!
Thanks I will also check it out. This helps alot as I think that if I had something to make me train for, in a place that is not so crowded I will would love it. I may just join you, I will let you know before time. :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:35 pm

marinmomma wrote:Come join me for this....

No crowds, but plenty of great climbing and scenery we could add in more hills if you wanted a bigger challenge!! :wink:

Or...

http://www.gcfoc.com.au

More crowds but a bigger hurtfest!
would the 117km ride need many gears. I have a 27 in the back

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Do you have a compact on the front?

The two climbs are pretty tough apparently, my friends did it last year and said that it was the toughest ride that they'd ever done! Plenty of people walked up the first climb last year, although the wet roads would have made getting traction difficult on the steeper pinches.

I'm using the winter to train for this one, lots of rides in the hinterland are planned!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 pm

marinmomma wrote:Do you have a compact on the front?

The two climbs are pretty tough apparently, my friends did it last year and said that it was the toughest ride that they'd ever done! Plenty of people walked up the first climb last year, although the wet roads would have made getting traction difficult on the steeper pinches.

I'm using the winter to train for this one, lots of rides in the hinterland are planned!
Yes I have a compact in the front, but the walking part doesnt do it for me :shock:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm

I have a 27 as well with a compact, if I have to walk a bit so be it!
I'm a sprinter not a climber :roll:

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm

marinmomma wrote:I have a 27 as well with a compact, if I have to walk a bit so be it!
I'm a sprinter not a climber :roll:
same, but sometimes I think I am a climber

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey Apple... A little outside your brief but have a look at Port to Port. It is Mildura to Swan Hill on Sat then Swan Hill to Echuca on the Sunday. 250km then 150 but it is all flat. Lovely scenery - orange groves, vineyards etc as you follow the Murray.
I'd invite you along to Murray to Moyne this coming weekend but our team is full... Maybe next time!
Andrew

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Hey Apple... A little outside your brief but have a look at Port to Port. It is Mildura to Swan Hill on Sat then Swan Hill to Echuca on the Sunday. 250km then 150 but it is all flat. Lovely scenery - orange groves, vineyards etc as you follow the Murray.
I'd invite you along to Murray to Moyne this coming weekend but our team is full... Maybe next time!
Andrew
I would love to do something like that. Next time would be great :D I am not fit enough this time anyway :oops: but I will look at that one on the web.
Great ideas guys thanks
:D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

I just checked the BNCC, and the 120km course is the 60km course (3 Gorges), once in each direction with a stop in the middle.

I reckon that would be a good course to have a go at!