Recommend MOST comfortable saddle commuting Road Bike

warthog1

Re: Recommend MOST comfortable saddle commuting Road Bike

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Apparently Brooks saddles mould to the shape of their owners bottoms. They are a tried and true design with proven workmanship and quality :)

:P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Uncle Just wrote:You may not need a heavy, wide saddle like the "Bricks" to get comfy.
But for a commuter, you may not need a thin, light one either.
warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:As RonK said above, it really depends how forward your body is angled (which is often a function of saddle to bar drop and effective reach) as to which Brooks is the closest fit for you.
That would be none if you have any sort of an aggressive aero ride position with a decent saddle to handlebar drop.
Both IP and MB at least would disagree with you.
I have about a 45 degree body angle, so not super aero and admitedly I may try a SMP or other bit of plastic if I was going for the super_racer_boy, I_think_I'm_a_pro, ITT position or look.
warthog1 wrote:Never seen one on a race bike for that reason, that and the sheer butt ugliness of them :P
More to to do with a strong adherence to fashion and WWism in the roadie world than any real reason. As long as it looks good and weighs nothing, eh? :P
warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Another popular option for road bikes in particular are the Selle SMP saddles.
I understand there are some on here who use them but never seen one on any bike myself, well for any length of time anyway :wink:
You just need to get around more. :wink: Plenty of people on SC like them, not that I'm an advocate yet.
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profiles/b ... d-practice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
warthog1 wrote:This is what works for me;...

and guess what, you just wack it on there and ride the bike in any weather conditions. No massaging it with wax or KY or whatever brooks owners like to rub on their bottoms :roll: :P
No, you just need to wear a pad on your butt to make up for whatever is lacking with that saddle. :P

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Nobody wrote:No, you just need to wear a pad on your butt to make up for whatever is lacking with that saddle. :P
It works for 3 or 4 hours which is all I need, haven't tried any longer as I'm not into touring. My Fizik arione, a saddle which many people hate, does also . Maybe one day I'll try a brooks but haven't needed to yet.
Until then it's a bit of fun stirring the Brooks disciples :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:Apparently Brooks saddles mould to the shape of their owners bottoms. They are a tried and true design with proven workmanship and quality :)
Hmm... not sure what you're getting at with your photos there. Yes, Brooks saddles do mould to your shape. And yes, some people abuse their saddles, some ride them when wet, don't proof them and cover them if left out in the weather. Care of a leather saddle sure ain't rocket science.

No idea what you think the dismantling photos show about disadvantages of a Brooks?? Some people play about to modify them - seems the owner of your first photo tried to tie the mid-section sides with a riveted plate that led to failure. If any of the framework breaks they are rebuildable, everything except the leather can be replaced.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 pm

il padrone wrote:
warthog1 wrote:No idea what you think the dismantling photos show about disadvantages of a Brooks?? Some people play about to modify them and they are rebuildable, everything except the leather can be replaced.
Even the leather if you are that way inclined :wink: Ask Clydesdale Scot. 8)
I love the dimples on my Brooks :D
Last edited by Mulger bill on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 pm

I to am a Brooks disciple. I've got 3 team pro's. A B17 narrow on the fixed gear and am about to order a Colt (or should that be a Brooks Cult :) ) for my 29er single speed.

Every one has been comfy from the get go.

The only Brooks I ever had issues with was a 1960's B17 flyer track saddle. It was just to narrow for my child bearing hips.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 pm

warthog1 wrote:Apparently Brooks saddles mould to the shape of their owners bottoms.
This bit is true to a large degree. If you tried one for a while, you might know about it. :)

Just face it, you're outnumbered here. Time to retreat to one of those roadie rides where you can all talk about important things like:
weight
carbon
bling/looks/image
aero
PEDs
training
shaving legs
bike cleaning etc.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 pm

il padrone wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Apparently Brooks saddles mould to the shape of their owners bottoms. They are a tried and true design with proven workmanship and quality :)
Hmm... not sure what you're getting at with your photos there. Yes, Brooks saddles do mould to your shape. And yes, some people abuse their saddles, some ride them when wet, don't proof them and cover them if left out in the weather. Care of a leather saddle sure ain't rocket science.

No idea what you think the dismantling photos show about disadvantages of a Brooks?? Some people play about to modify them - seems the owner of your first photo tried to tie the mid-section sides with a riveted plate that led to failure. If any of the framework breaks they are rebuildable, everything except the leather can be replaced.
Just pointing out what a pain in the posterior they are. Fragile finicky looking things to me. Those saddles look pretty damn broken to me, dismantled or not.
Just buy a saddle that doesn't need breaking in and can be placed on the bike and forgotten about.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Apparently Brooks saddles mould to the shape of their owners bottoms.
This bit is true to a large degree. If you tried one for a while, you might know about it. :)

Just face it, you're outnumbered here. Time to retreat to one of those roadie rides where you can all talk about important things like:
weight
carbon
bling/looks/image
aero
PEDs
training
shaving legs
bike cleaning etc.
You forgot sheer fitting Lycra, though I spose that comes under aero

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 pm

warthog1 wrote:You forgot sheer fitting Lycra, though I spose that comes under aero
It comes under bling/looks/image too.
warthog1 wrote:Just buy a saddle that doesn't need breaking in and can be placed on the bike and forgotten about.
Not much fun in that. Next you'll be wanting to own a hub geared, belt drive bike with HD butyl tubes so you only have to pump the tyres once a month.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am

For commuting I love the Brooks. I have a B17 Champion Special and it was comfy from day 1. I occasionally ride in the rain but it doesn't seem to have harmed the Brooks. Parking is under cover so that helps. I don't wear lycra, just a pair of shorts, so no problems with needing padding.

DS
Last edited by DavidS on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:10 am

warthog1 wrote:Just pointing out what a pain in the posterior they are.
Far from that. Very comfy for my posterior thanks :wink: :D
warthog1 wrote:Fragile finicky looking things to me.
Hmm.... I just get on mine and ride it. Like I said earlier, the special care probably amounts to 20 mins max, twice a year; plus bothering to cover it when the bike gets left outside overnight, usually on my bush camping trips.
warthog1 wrote:Those saddles look pretty damn broken to me, dismantled or not.
Just buy a saddle that doesn't need breaking in and can be placed on the bike and forgotten about.
Neglect busts most things. How do you go on your bling carbonio roadie at riding a simple 20kms of dirt road ? Is the plastic fantastic Selle Italia nice to your toosh then ? :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 am

Tee hee

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 am

il padrone wrote:How do you go on your bling carbonio roadie at riding a simple 20kms of dirt road ? Is the plastic fantastic Selle Italia nice to your toosh then ? :P
Do you really think he would ride that blinger crabonio thingy on dirt roads? It's too precious. :)

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:20 am

I'm late - what'd I miss?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 am

Dan wrote:I'm late - what'd I miss?
A leather love in. They'll have the wax protectants out for a group massage shortly :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 am

Nobody wrote:
il padrone wrote:How do you go on your bling carbonio roadie at riding a simple 20kms of dirt road ? Is the plastic fantastic Selle Italia nice to your toosh then ? :P
Do you really think he would ride that blinger crabonio thingy on dirt roads? It's too precious. :)
Spot on. As you know it would spontaneously explode and I'd be left with a sturdy, light and comfortable saddle only ;) :P

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am

warthog1 wrote: Just buy a saddle that doesn't need breaking in and can be placed on the bike and forgotten about.
I only wish it was that easy!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 am

Those Brooks probably are ok don't tell em though it will only encourage them.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm

The only encouragement a Brooks rider needs is the initial push to get them to try "The Way". Once experienced, few go back. :P

evangelion

Postby evangelion » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Right so as some may have noticed I had purchased a PlanetBike ARS Competition Anatomic Relief Saddle to try instead of this velo(fizik copy) that came with the bike.

Based on the single ride that I had on it (exact same route) I can say that this saddle is much more comfortable than that velo/fizik... No crippling soreness/tightness/pain. Infact went for another smaller ride next day with no major issues.

So, so far so good but I need longer rides to suss it out more.

Still thinking from sheer comfort view point that the Serfas RX-921 would be hard to beat if it could work with drop down road bike.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:The only encouragement a Brooks rider needs is the initial push to get them to try "The Way". Once experienced, few go back. :P
I'll see how that ribble steel frame goes, might be passable on that. :)
The flite max is seriously comfortable for me, though it is starting to look haggard after over 40k. I'm still dubious about all that upward tilt business with a decent low position.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 pm

If you get low on the drops it's normally fine to have the saddle level. Really depends also on how low and personal anatomy.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Just pressed the buy now button on a Brooks Flyer Special after having coveted one for a while after Il Padrone pointed one out to me in another thread.
Just the right addition to my Surly Ogre build. My Moulton has a B17 Special after I swapped it because I couldnt get on with my Brooks Swift.
The Moulton had a Brooks B73 for many years but I wanted to try lightening my heavy small bike and the B73 weighed over a kilo. I'm hoping the superior aesthetics of
the Flyer Special is combined with some of the B73's sprung comfort.
(Pic from one of IP's posts - flagrantly stolen :wink: )

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 am

I saw a post or two on this thread (can't find it or be bothered to look) that suggested if you use a Brooks saddle you don't need padded shorts!

Is this true? I'm seriously considering one after having tried most/all the Specialized range with no luck.

I've got another brand or two to try yet but test saddles are limited around here so I'm not hopeful and it seems few buy Brooks and complain!