Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

takai

Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

Postby takai » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Ive been planning on getting some mud guards for my Larry commuter bike, and was originally going to just get another pair of Crudracers. But given that it is lugged anyway i was wondering whether there is something out there that is superior given that i have lugs to work with.

I only run at max a 700Cx25 tyre, so something that doesnt end up as more of a air brake would be better.

Any alternatives out there?

DaveOZ

Re: Mudguards for lugged commuter bikes

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=25793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm

+1 for the SKS mudguards. Very secure, durable, resilient, repairable and modifiable. For a 25mm tyre get the 35mm width version.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

+2 for sure :D

I actually got some of these Tortec ones from Evans (needed to get some other things and only Evans had all of them), which appears rrrreeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy similar to the SKS

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tor ... e-ec036170

These also had the mudflap at the bottom which makes a bit of difference as well

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm

I've got some of these to fit to a skinny tyred road bike. I haven't done so yet. I love my standard longboards though with their extra coverage.

takai

Postby takai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:57 pm

So next question, why these over the CrudRacers?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Like I said, for the SKS Chromoplastic:
Very secure, durable, resilient, repairable and modifiable.
I haven't used the Crudracers so can't judge a lot. I have my doubts about their long-term strength (eg. in 'impact' situations) and really doubt they can be modified or repaired like the SKS can. I've cut them, shortened them, replace stay-brackets, straightened out concertina'd guards and drilled & cable-tied the guard when the fork bracket broke then later re-rivetted a new fork bracket in place.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Crudracers work well for me. Flexible enough and has enough flex to avoid being ruined with any impact. Plus it's light so doesn't affect the bike's performance.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:47 pm

By 'impact' situations I meant things like a stick through your spokes, hooking up the stays and folding the mudguard. ;)

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 pm

I've never encountered flying sticks between the tyre and the crudracers.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Well, you haven't really put them to the test, eh? ;)

Mostly it is a risk riding on tours..... on gravel/dirt forest roads and tracks. But I have more than once seen it happen on sealed roads - once a friend was riding in the suburbs and managed to flick up a bit of wooden dowel...... flung into the rear wheel spokes, trashed his mudguard. Another time it was a large rock flicked up and into the front mudguard between the tyre and guard. Nasty, but lucky he was not thrown OTB.

Probably not a big risk for the average commute, but I was just saying, this is one of the strengths of the SKS. The OP was asking for info - specifically how SKS might be better than Crudracers.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:51 pm

I have the Roadracers on my road bike, and SKS Chromoplastics on my commuter. The main reason is durability. I ride my roadie maybe 3 times per week, whilst I get on my commuter 6-8 times a week. The Chromoplastics are rock-solid being metal structurally and also screwed to the bike. The Roadracers also would not fit my 28mm commuter tyres.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I've had a stick flick up and disengage my front sks chromoplastic whilst on tour. Any other mudguard and it would have been trashed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 pm

takai wrote:So next question, why these over the CrudRacers?
As others have also alluded, my experience with both is ;

Crudracers - better than nothing when there isn't the option of proper attachments, but flexy and work to a point.

SKS Bluemel, Longboards, Chromoplastic etc - Just work. Strong, great design, and absolute PITA to setup, but work. Simple.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 am

I don't know. I commute 75km/day but my tracks are only go as far as cycle path and road. Plus I ride 700x23 so I certainly won't go off the beaten track with my flat bar. If the OP running 25mm are riding similar conditions, I wouldn't see the need to go any heavier with rigid-fixed mudguards. With the flexible mounting of cruds, they can deflect whatever small sticks that can be picked up plus being flexible mount, the front guards can go right down the wheel for excellent coverage where the rigid mounts require mudflaps to get down the low yet light and small enough to sustain low 30km/h on the road.

Btw, I have had the fixed mounts on my previous MTB and I honestly don't think it's any better or worse than the cruds apart from the durability if you whack it with a big stick. I don't expect to see a log on the cyclepath or road even though Sydney roads can be a goat track sometimes.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am

One of the beauties of the SKS guards is that you can tailor-make them to however you want them. Run them long:

Even chop and wire them to run a roller-dynamo

Or get the Longboard version for the low look

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 am

I have SKS Chromoplastic P50s on my Surly Long Haul Trucker (tourer) and they work great.

I fitted a set of P35s to my Kinesis Racelight Granfondo and they didn't last long. Never got a decent fit for starters, particular on the front and then caught a stick in the front guard whilst riding on a path. The release didn't save the guard which was ripped from the mount.

With the Kinesis I then went over to Crud Roadracer Mk2 guards but found them lacking on the durability front (brittle after awhile) and again fit has been an issue particular with 25 mm tyres so removed them a couple of weeks ago. Oh also I lost a couple of the brushes: that cost me a new tyre before I clicked that the guard was rubbing the sidewall away. That tyre lasted 600 km. So for me back to no guards on the Kinesis at the moment.

Andrew

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 am

il padrone wrote:One of the beauties of the SKS guards is that you can tailor-make them to however you want them. Run them long:

Even chop and wire them to run a roller-dynamo

Or get the Longboard version for the low look

How are they going to go under modern brake calipers. I have ultegra 6600 and will run 25c tyres. Will sks guards fit under the brake calipers?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:05 pm

warthog1 wrote:How are they going to go under modern brake calipers. I have ultegra 6600 and will run 25c tyres. Will sks guards fit under the brake calipers?
No idea. I don't have any of the more modern dual-pivots on my bikes. Carbon frames are generally too close I believe.

The rear guard mount can be Maguyvered with a bracket over the brake. At the front you could just cut the mudguard short at the fork.

But if that's your situation it's probably best to just use the Crudracers.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks. They are going on one of these;
I am on the PC now and can see the photos a bit better. The bottom one in Andrews post below yours looks like a dual pivot caliper;
as does the one on the Ribble photo of mine. Looks like they do :D
Another stupid question fom me :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

All depends on your brake bridge/fork mount clearances and the tyre size used. These can all vary.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I've got some of these to fit to a skinny tyred road bike. I haven't done so yet. I love my standard longboards though with their extra coverage.

These are SKS fenders designed for low clearance skinny tyred bikes. They shouldn't require MacGuyvering, and should work well with short reach dual pivot brakes. These are the long version (my preference - if you're adding fenders, may as well make them awesome, just watch them when dropping off kerbs), but I think there's a short version.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:

These are SKS fenders designed for low clearance skinny tyred bikes. They shouldn't require MacGuyvering, and should work well with short reach dual pivot brakes. These are the long version (my preference - if you're adding fenders, may as well make them awesome, just watch them when dropping off kerbs), but I think there's a short version.
They'll work beautifully on the bike I'm after by the look too. Thanks.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:These are SKS fenders designed for low clearance skinny tyred bikes. They shouldn't require MacGuyvering, and should work well with short reach dual pivot brakes. These are the long version (my preference - if you're adding fenders, may as well make them awesome, just watch them when dropping off kerbs), but I think there's a short version.
Restricted to 23 mm by the looks, well at least what c r c stock.

EDIT: They do do a Raceblade XL which is for tyres up to 32 mm. ALso looking at the SKS website there are numerous options. Just need to find a retailer now :)

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Another popular brand is Planet Bike, with their model of Cascadia which do a multitude of variaties and veriations. They have a very good name overseas, especially America. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From France there is the beautiful products from Gilles Berthound and like the other brands a multitude of versions though unlike the Cascadia of Planet Bike, Gilles seems to be most well know for their light weight highly polished stainless steel although they do also carbon fibre versions.
http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/ac ... sultat.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Their website is from the dark ages so look for their products at other sites like
http://peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or a google or yahoo "images" search.

Velo Orange do almost the same as Gilles but in polished alloy (again light weight - lighter than the durable plastic of the Cascadias). http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... nders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck with the decision - dont forget to tell us what you choose and how you get on. :D