How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gabrielle260

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Well done Jason! A really good start to the year!
Andrew

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:03 pm

jasonc wrote:just noticed. Am over 3000kms commuting for the year
Good work!

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Dan wrote:Um, so who put THAT there?

See what happens when you use Strava. Stop it! You were obviously going for KOM on a segment there. Remove your KOMs, delete your rides, cancel your membership and delete your history. Then your cycling will be safe and sensible, and incidents like this wont happen. The cat knows.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Marto wrote:

See what happens when you use Strava. Stop it! You were obviously going for KOM on a segment there. Remove your KOMs, delete your rides, cancel your membership and delete your history. Then your cycling will be safe and sensible, and incidents like this wont happen. The cat knows.
I think the cat did it. Feline telekinesis.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Those pesky gates.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 am

Getting cooler ...ride in this morning was rather chilly...nice clear skies though..enjoyed the ride

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 am

This morning was a bit chilly here are Lane Cove. My commute is only 5km, total of 10km every day. I can make it 23km in the afternoon, if I ate heavy lunch on the same day. On a side note, it pains me seeing cyclist breaking the red lights!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

great weather in Brissy. have now done over 7000kms on my marathon plus tyres

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

A bit of drizzle for the last 10km into the Melbourne CBD this morning, just enough to make the roads a little slick.
Saw a glass field too late while on the Darebin Creek trail and rode through the middle of it - no harm done, thankfully.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:36 am

jasonc wrote:great weather in Brissy.
+1 Nice and sunny, but not sweaty. My first commute for a while, and great conditions for it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:great weather in Brissy.
+1 Nice and sunny, but not sweaty. My first commute for a while, and great conditions for it.
This morning was the first morning this year where I felt a smidge chilly as I left home. :o

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Drizzle but fine. I'm thankful a lot of people are still on holidays - everyone driving seemed to be quite nice - even when I thought a red car was going to be pushy at the Hoddle Street crossing and I was slotting in front of it behind a white car (who was stuck for a few seconds due to cars blocking the intersection). I thought he might get all ragey and possibly go for his horn, but no - he calmly changes into the right lane later on and passes when safe.

Not so the motor scooter who gave me a little fright passing too close - I thought I took up enough of the lane to require a full lane change - not so with the scooter it seemed - being in the middle of the lane/the right wheel track wasn't far enough right for him to do a lane change to overtake - he overtook in my lane. :(

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Summernight wrote:Drizzle but fine. I'm thankful a lot of people are still on holidays - everyone driving seemed to be quite nice - even when I thought a red car was going to be pushy at the Hoddle Street crossing and I was slotting in front of it behind a white car (who was stuck for a few seconds due to cars blocking the intersection). I thought he might get all ragey and possibly go for his horn, but no - he calmly changes into the right lane later on and passes when safe.

Not so the motor scooter who gave me a little fright passing too close - I thought I took up enough of the lane to require a full lane change - not so with the scooter it seemed - being in the middle of the lane/the right wheel track wasn't far enough right for him to do a lane change to overtake - he overtook in my lane. :(
Are you on a 2 lane or single lane road?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm

rheicel wrote:
Summernight wrote:Drizzle but fine. I'm thankful a lot of people are still on holidays - everyone driving seemed to be quite nice - even when I thought a red car was going to be pushy at the Hoddle Street crossing and I was slotting in front of it behind a white car (who was stuck for a few seconds due to cars blocking the intersection). I thought he might get all ragey and possibly go for his horn, but no - he calmly changes into the right lane later on and passes when safe.

2 lanes in each direction.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Summernight wrote:
rheicel wrote:

2 lanes in each direction.
Scooter is wrong in that case. These people needs to be educated as most of them are non-cyclist. A cyclist will never do that to a cyclist. Just try to avoid them if you can, anyway, we are riding to enjoy.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm

rheicel wrote:Scooter is wrong in that case. These people needs to be educated as most of them are non-cyclist. A cyclist will never do that to a cyclist. Just try to avoid them if you can, anyway, we are riding to enjoy.
I respectfully disagree with you that a cyclist would never do that to a cyclist. Some people don't have good spacial awareness no matter what type of vehicle they are riding/driving. And some people just don't think.

I know I have to share the road with all forms of vehicles and they're usually fine so I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid scooters because of this one incident where he zoomed from behind and passed too close to me. It would be very difficult to avoid scooters considering I'm riding in the inner city where they are quite prevalent.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:38 pm

rheicel wrote:This morning was a bit chilly here are Lane Cove. My commute is only 5km, total of 10km every day. I can make it 23km in the afternoon, if I ate heavy lunch on the same day. On a side note, it pains me seeing cyclist breaking the red lights!
I was through Lane Cove at 6:30am today and it was magic. Certainly no chill that I could detect. Only a few more morning commutes in the dark to go, then I get daylight both ways again. yay!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 pm

queequeg wrote:
rheicel wrote:This morning was a bit chilly here are Lane Cove. My commute is only 5km, total of 10km every day. I can make it 23km in the afternoon, if I ate heavy lunch on the same day. On a side note, it pains me seeing cyclist breaking the red lights!
I was through Lane Cove at 6:30am today and it was magic. Certainly no chill that I could detect. Only a few more morning commutes in the dark to go, then I get daylight both ways again. yay!
You are early mate. I originally was from a tropical place, so my body is not used to sub 20degC. I noticed that along Epping Road Bike Path (Wicks-Munro St), I am the only one wearing jacket, lol. Funny thing is, I have my jacket on, Riding my grumpy heavy 19kg commuting machine with panniers, and still not sweating. I even saw one cyclist this morning wearing just the BIB and sweating buckets.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am

Woke up to rain bucketing down, was an hour or so before planned wakeup time...immediate thoughts do I ride or not. Went back to sleep and when I finally got up the rain had stopped. Was ready for the rain to hit on the ride but it ended up being a clear and cold morning.

Dont think I will be so lucky heading home...big black clouds sitting above Newcastle at the moment.

Was a good ride..free of any hassles or issues with the other road users.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 am

Left early again today, nice and dark. Perfect temp and calm as well. The ground was damp and a few puddles to avoid. I spotted a red blinky up front so kept my pace up a little to catch up. Took a while but I finally caught up to 'Furious Fred' a bearded, hivis vest wearing rider I've spotted many times going the other way. Has an aggressive look about him and pedals pretty hard riding a flat bar roadie. This morning I found out he does go pretty fast, but not a match for a road bike (no CCR points)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am

coot-tha commute. nice weather.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

Grey and drizzly for the ride back yesterday afternoon, yet the paths were teeming with activity - witness traffic jam on the MYT at the Collingwood Childrens Farm:
This morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD was cool, but dry. Having watched too many werewolf movies, I had a massive surge of adrenaline when a large, shaggy dog suddenly leaped out of the darkness and raced along behind me as I rode along the Darebin Creek Trail. Dropped him eventually :shock:

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:28 am

Absolutely pouring in Sydney this morning. Was a bit stressful, I think you would be even less visible than usual to motorists.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 am

Sparx wrote:Absolutely pouring in Sydney this morning. Was a bit stressful, I think you would be even less visible than usual to motorists.
I have to use my car today, I am not ready to tackle the rain yet.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 am

rheicel wrote:
Sparx wrote:Absolutely pouring in Sydney this morning. Was a bit stressful, I think you would be even less visible than usual to motorists.
I have to use my car today, I am not ready to tackle the rain yet.
excuses thread for you
riding in the rain requires a bit of confidence/experience. I slow down maybe 5-10% and use both brakes braking earlier. taking corners slower and with nowhere near as much of a lean