Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Taxi blocking Albert St copenhagen bicycle lane (between the bollards that I've complained to Melbourne Council about but they never responded). So I prepare, check for cars and then take the traffic lane. Taxi then pulls out of the bicycle lane back into the traffic lane that I'm heading down. So I go back into the bicycle lane.... And the taxi pulls back into the bicycle lane 20 metres down the road... Meaning I have to check for traffic and pull back into the traffic lane to pass. Luckily I was preparing early as he definitely wasn't checking. Would have been nice to film that one...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Do what Casey does :wink: :twisted: (especially at 2.02 :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I've got a question.
I was following some cars through a section with a cycling lane that has an unbroken white line between it and the vehicular lane. On the other side is the gutter.
A bus was turning right and the car behind it squeezed to the left of it, crossing into the cycle lane over the unbroken white line. I had already slowed as I could see what was going to happen. However had I not I would have been struck by the car or forced into the gutter. My feeling is that the action of the driver was in violation of the road rules by crossing the unbroken white line into the cycling lane. Is this correct?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

il padrone wrote:Do what Casey does :wink: :twisted: (especially at 2.02 :lol:

:lol:
That's fantastic. My 11 year old son loved it, he was in stitches :)
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

It's legal to enter the cycle lane to pass the turning vehicle, however the driver must give way to any vehicles already in the lane. If they didn't give way then it is a violation of the road rules.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

warthog1 wrote:My feeling is that the action of the driver was in violation of the road rules by crossing the unbroken white line into the cycling lane. Is this correct?
There are some circumstances where a vehicle may enter the bike lane (such as when entering or leaving the road) but to pass to the left of a bus definitely isn't one of them.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm

warthog1 wrote:My feeling is that the action of the driver was in violation of the road rules by crossing the unbroken white line into the cycling lane. Is this correct?
yes. without checking, driver can only cross:
- to manouvre around an obstruction (traffic is not an obstruction), and
- when safe to do so

fail x 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Sorry, a couple of posters have that slightly incorrect.

In Victoria:
Victorian Road Rules wrote:158 Exceptions to driving in special purpose lanes etc.
(1) The driver of any vehicle may drive for up to the permitted distance in a bicycle lane, bus lane, tram lane, transit lane or truck lane if it is necessary for the driver to drive in the lane..........

........(c) to overtake a vehicle that is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or......
That be the case, they still must give way to any cyclists in the bike lane.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm

il padrone wrote:Do what Casey does :wink: :twisted: (especially at 2.02 :lol:

Oh my gods. That cracked me up big time. 2:02 was gold.

I might try that on a cheap bike but in Australia I'd probably be fined for careless riding. :cry:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

il padrone wrote:Sorry, a couple of posters have that slightly incorrect.

In Victoria:
Victorian Road Rules wrote:158 Exceptions to driving in special purpose lanes etc.
(1) The driver of any vehicle may drive for up to the permitted distance in a bicycle lane, bus lane, tram lane, transit lane or truck lane if it is necessary for the driver to drive in the lane..........

........(c) to overtake a vehicle that is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or......
That be the case, they still must give way to any cyclists in the bike lane.

OK thanks, so I was behind her by a bike length or two prior to her entering the bike lane and had thought about passing on her left before she moved into the bike lane. I would have come unstuck if I did and would have been at least partially at fault then?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 pm

No, if you had been proceeding in the bike lane and the driver had changed lanes and hit you, she would have been solely at fault. The road rules expect you to ride safely, but not to be a mind reader. Of course once you can see the vehicle swerve it would be foolish and perhaps legally wrong to proceed into danger.

At "a bike length or two" distance I think any evasion would be quite difficult had you proceeded. Then all fault lays with the lane-changer.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 pm

warthog1 wrote: OK thanks, so I was behind her by a bike length or two prior to her entering the bike lane and had thought about passing on her left before she moved into the bike lane. I would have come unstuck if I did and would have been at least partially at fault then?
If you were tootling along in your lane and she changed into it and hit you to go around the bus, it would be her fault as she was changing lanes and should have given way to you.

You can't pass a car on the left that is indicating left and turning left, although can a car be "turning left" if its going left to change lanes? I dunno.

But as already stated, in some states (including qld as well I think) a driver can use a bike lane for the permitted distance to go around a car turning right.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 pm

InTheWoods wrote:although can a car be "turning left" if its going left to change lanes? I dunno.
No. Turning left is turning left, not changing lanes. For example if a driver is driving in the middle lane and wishes to turn left they need to do two things - first change lanes to the left lane and second actually turn left. Some may try to do this in one action, which is illegal.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:although can a car be "turning left" if its going left to change lanes? I dunno.
No. Turning left is turning left, not changing lanes. For example if a driver is driving in the middle lane and wishes to turn left they need to do two things - first change lanes to the left lane and second actually turn left. Some may try to do this in one action, which is illegal.
Yes thinking about it, this is the only thing that makes sense.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 am

il padrone wrote:No, if you had been proceeding in the bike lane and the driver had changed lanes and hit you, she would have been solely at fault. The road rules expect you to ride safely, but not to be a mind reader. Of course once you can see the vehicle swerve it would be foolish and perhaps legally wrong to proceed into danger.

At "a bike length or two" distance I think any evasion would be quite difficult had you proceeded. Then all fault lays with the lane-changer.
Thanks.
I'll let loose with a verbal airzound if it happens again.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:44 am

I had a moron motorist moment today. Traffic in Park St South Melbourne just near StKilda Rd banked up as usual. I'm going West from StKilda Rd towards Kings Way. Car enters from the right on a cross road, sees me and just continues to go across Park St smiling at me as I call him an F***wit. That attitude really pisses me off. On a bike? Second class road user, I'll just plough through. Not much I can do unfortunately, I tried to give the impression I wasn't stopping but he just didn't care.

DS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:37 am

DavidS wrote:I had a moron motorist moment today. Traffic in Park St South Melbourne just near StKilda Rd banked up as usual. I'm going West from StKilda Rd towards Kings Way. Car enters from the right on a cross road, sees me and just continues to go across Park St smiling at me as I call him an F***wit. That attitude really pisses me off. On a bike? Second class road user, I'll just plough through. Not much I can do unfortunately, I tried to give the impression I wasn't stopping but he just didn't care.

DS
camera + a 'Casey' (see above) might help educate some drivers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am

DavidS wrote:I had a moron motorist moment today. Traffic in Park St South Melbourne just near StKilda Rd banked up as usual. I'm going West from StKilda Rd towards Kings Way. Car enters from the right on a cross road, sees me and just continues to go across Park St smiling at me as I call him an F***wit. That attitude really pisses me off. On a bike? Second class road user, I'll just plough through. Not much I can do unfortunately, I tried to give the impression I wasn't stopping but he just didn't care.
pull up next to him for a chat, when he winds the window down, give him a blast from your bidon :twisted:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 am

bychosis wrote:

DS
camera + a 'Casey' (see above) might help educate some drivers
Just not on a bike you actually care about. :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 am

jules21 wrote:pull up next to him for a chat, when he winds the window down, give him a blast from your bidon :twisted:
I have always wanted to do this. When I'm side-swiped and flustered I never think of it though. Have heard tell of someone (lady cyclist?) doing it - pull the lid off the bidon and dump it on hero-driver's lap. The really embarassing wet patch would be a killer :lol: :lol: :lol:

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am

Those who drive with detritus (disabled tags, deodoriser, religious paraphernalia, etc) hanging from their rear view mirror.

Is it legal?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

malnar wrote:Those who drive with detritus (disabled tags, deodoriser, religious paraphernalia, etc) hanging from their rear view mirror.

Is it legal?
nope
Here is one for QLD, I am certain the same applies for all states.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/ ... raight.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obstructed view while driving, eg. GPS devices, objects hanging from rearview mirror.

Use of a GPS navigational device by a driver is legal, however the placement of the device may become an issue if not positioned correctly. It must not obstruct a driver’s view.

$45 ticket
If an object, such as an item hanging from a rearview mirror, or a GPS device obstructs your vision it must be moved to a different place or removed.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:22 pm

What shits me are those aussie flag/santa/broncos/easter/whatever covers over the side mirrors as you see some that are tightly wrapped around the edges of the mirror and then others have a large portion of the whole mirror covered.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I swear I'm not making this up

Moron motorist spied shaving with an electric razor this morning as he cruised through a set of lights

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I swear I'm not making this up

Moron motorist spied shaving with an electric razor this morning as he cruised through a set of lights
When doing my apprenticeship I used to regularly go out on field service with a mechanic who would eat a bowl or corn flakes talk on the phone and read a map all at the same time.