The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

nickobec

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby nickobec » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Friday 50km ITT practise, was supposed to be 40km but misjudged distance to turn around point it was 24km so added 2km to end - got 14 little stars from Strva
Saturday 60km group ride (including 15km to & from) 6 little stars from Strava, even if I did find myself off the back off the fast group early on, back on for 1st sprint and did well though only 3rd best time. Final sprint, followed wrong wheel, got position all wrong and tailed the fast guys in, still PBs for last 4km & 2km. Then say one of the regulars getting motorpaced along the same sector.
Sunday 40 ITT practise in 1:08 flat (only 3rd attempt), 13 stars from Strava, but 1 for way out and 3 for taking on local climbing loop on ITT bike after 40km effort. Needed to ride harder or take climbing bike out of loop when rested to set better benchmarks.

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

twizzle wrote:
sbr511 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Too much pressure on the roller, over heated... Surprised you didn't smell it!
I run a Elite Mag trainer, you cant set the pressure for the roller its hinged and the rider weight keeps the pressure on...

Maybe im too fat???
:| You do realise they make specific tyres just for trainers. Trainers kill most tyres.

Tyre was replaced for free under warranty. The threads had split causing the bubbles...
Will keep the trainer rear wheel in mind if it happens again...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Should learn to climb Challenger Ave as a 1km climb instead of attacking it as a 500m climb, and then struggling next 500m. And that was the "gentle" start to a "recovery" ride.

Did a quick dash up the hill spint as used by a couple of A graders for the hill repeats, then up two more up a shorter steeper climb.

Legs done, off to roll them over at tempo pace on the PSP. Except the rider in front was riding at decent pace so I chased, unfortunately he was chasing the rider in front of him who was much slower, his prey caught he slowed down, I didn't, expecting to get chased, didn't happen but decent threshold workout.
Had drink and turned around as TT bike went passed. End up chasing, catching, the sitting off, outside of slipstream to get get go work out, also at threshold.

Finished off with final hill sprint, better than yesterday by a couple of seconds on everything except final downhill sector, so TT bike still has that PB.

Only 8 little cups from Strava, though a couple of sectors on the PSP, top 5 and just behind TT rides earlier this weekend. So no wonder this ride got highest intensity rating of the weekend, but it was a little shorter.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Nothing from me today - feeling tired and not motivated at all.

I did ride yesterday - but my left leg didn't feel right, calf muscle just seemed a bit odd. No twitching of it though. And apart from that - I did feel flat.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Had a two hour race yesterday, it was the best training I've had in ages :)

rosh1985

Postby rosh1985 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Had a crappy run today out today with the shop ride. I join the slow group, but still can't keep with the pace and end up getting dropped about 15-20km into the ride.

Left me quite deflated for the solo ride home!

Are there any tips for training to stay up with the pace in a group? Normally on my own I can average approx 30km/h, the group pace varies from 30-40km/h average.

:cry:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Ks and more Ks and read all the stuff already written here. :wink:

Foo

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:25 am

2 weeks off at not a good time with big races ( for me ) coming up in May to mid June... but I would have been silly to turn down the opportunity of going to Morocco.
But now I am back I feel like rubbish!... I really wore myself out while away running around all day or sitting in a tiny car for 5 or 6 hours a day getting bad cramps, I never cramp on the bike!.
Have done 3 short rides and legs feel really weak and tight... I had ok form before I went away, how long realistically to get back to that level?.
Last year at this time I had gotten 10 good weeks of training in after winter about 4500kms... this year lucky to have 3000 ( and 2 kgs heavier! )... man I am going to get so dropped :oops: .

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:19 am

been working heaps recently, and had to cut riding back to 2-3 x 30-60min sessions during the week, weekends a 45 minute crit race and a 3 hr rr.

this has got me thinking more carefully about optimal training. I've been doing more defined intervals during the week and on the road ride.
the intervals I've focused on are
- during the week, 90sec-10min in a pyramid or ladder configuration. 10m, 3m, 3x90s, 3m,10m (pyramid), or 10m, 5, 3x90s (ladder)
- 5-10x 300 metre sprints.
recovery time has been variable, but usually longer relative to effort as intensity increases.

The most significant gains have come in
- 3 minute av. speed
- 300 metre sprint recovery (shorter recovery time required to maintain same sprint speed)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:29 am

went opn the M7 today and did a 80km ITT. nothing too quick 31km/h average, i just wanted a solo ride that was non stop.
its so different to bunch riding but i needed it :) i may try it once a month and work on some pb's.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:25 pm

ni78ck wrote:went opn the M7 today and did a 80km ITT. nothing too quick 31km/h average, i just wanted a solo ride that was non stop.
its so different to bunch riding but i needed it :) i may try it once a month and work on some pb's.
Don't you do much solo riding?

Most of my rides are done solo. Riding in the group is fun but I think there is more benefit in riding long ones by yourself.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Actually pretty rubbish today. My left leg wasn't feeling quite right anyhow - and perhaps I didn't quite warm up properly, but sure enough the calf started to twitch, threatening to cramp. :roll: I also probably didn't drink enough either, combined with pushing against a big headwind. :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

I have been giving it the berries this week in preparation for Tour of SW next weekend, and have felt really strong, but have come down with a cold now. damn. hopefully it goes away quickly.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
ni78ck wrote:went opn the M7 today and did a 80km ITT. nothing too quick 31km/h average, i just wanted a solo ride that was non stop.
Don't you do much solo riding?

Most of my rides are done solo. Riding in the group is fun but I think there is more benefit in riding long ones by yourself.
i agree, but most of my solo rides are recovery rides and my smashfest rides are in small groups. i find the competion brings out the best in me.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm

The scenery was stunning... the legs were not :lol:
Also feels weird to say in an Australian forum but I found 20C temps way too hot!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm

7c and pouring rain... Kick my arse out the door please!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:7c and pouring rain... Kick my arse out the door please!
Oi - kiwi... toughen up and get wet.

:P

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Turned to be 3-4C lol and pouring rain /wind... Had to go home to put winter gear on but managed 55k's ... Toes got rather cold though!
Not what I planned... But it is probably snowing up around 500-600meters!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Congrats for keeping to "the rules". :)

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 am

Ha... Started snowing this afternoon... Oh the joy!.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 am

Sucks to be on your training rides TTL. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Put my bike on the car for the quick family holiday... At my wife's suggestion :-) . We are only gone for 5 days... 2 of which are pretty much all driving ( today is 850km to Home )... Good to keep the legs turning over!.... Even if it was only a 50 & 30km ride... Legs felt crap but I didn't bring any leg warmers and it is really windy and about 6 or 7 C . Got. a mini stage race on Sunday (7km CLM and 72km race)... Don't like my chances but they are probably better than if I hadnt ridden!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Why don't you do some motor pace work behind the car as well TLL, or don't you trust your wife not to leave you behind? :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 am

Motorpacing behind my wife seems like a good way to die quickly!...she isn't someone you would sit behind putting nice little tyre rubs all over the bumper!

anth73

Postby anth73 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Into base 2 and time for some fixed gear laps of Kew Boullie. Decided 39/15 was the combo to go with as in my previous BSe 2 block about 6 months ago I used 39/16 and I think I'm a tad stronger with a little less puppy fat since then.

Saw some low 60 cadence as well as high 130's. Legs are still throbbing from the effort!
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC